Comparing Mac's 2nd year to Meyer's

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
This is going to be a tough read for some of you.
http://www.todaysu.com/sec/florida-gators/comparing-jim-mcelwains-second-year-urban-meyers-florida/

"All of this is to say that it’s not unprecedented for an offensive head coach’s successful rebuild in Gainesville to require a couple of seasons to take off. Meyer struggled first with learning his offense from Bowling Green and Utah couldn’t work unmodified in the SEC, and then he had to get the right players in every position for his spread option.

McElwain had an easier schematic transition, but, unlike Meyer, he inherited a mess on the offensive line and has dealt with a rotating door at quarterback. Due to suspension, transfers, and injury, McElwain has had four different starting quarterbacks in a season and a half. Meyer had only three starting quarterbacks in six years at UF, and none missed a game."

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It was pretty hard to read. I was laughing so hard I blew beer out my nose and covered the computer screen.

Call me when we win the NC and land our second incredible recruiting class.

I will hang up and listen.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The stat about Urban's starting QB's is slightly wrong. In 2010, we had Brantley, Burton, and Reed all taking snaps on a rotating basis by the end of the year. But he was definitely lucky that the only injury he had to worry about for his QB's was Tebow's concussion, which preceded a week off.

We definitely don't have the recruiting classes that Urban had yet, but as I've been trying to say all this year, the improvement is palpable. Urban's offense didn't "take off" until the Arkansas SECCG. Then he had Tebow and Harvin running circles around people for two years.

I think in another year's time, the offense will be humming right along. Unfortunately, graduation and draft declarations are going to gut our defense before that happens.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The stat about Urban's starting QB's is slightly wrong. In 2010, we had Brantley, Burton, and Reed all taking snaps on a rotating basis by the end of the year. But he was definitely lucky that the only injury he had to worry about for his QB's was Tebow's concussion, which preceded a week off.

We definitely don't have the recruiting classes that Urban had yet, but as I've been trying to say all this year, the improvement is palpable. Urban's offense didn't "take off" until the Arkansas SECCG. Then he had Tebow and Harvin running circles around people for two years.

I think in another year's time, the offense will be humming right along. Unfortunately, graduation and draft declarations are going to gut our defense before that happens.
You get a like for making me feel better

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Comparing Meyers and butters in anything, is like comparing a Porsche Carrera and a Chevy Vega

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I'm not feeling it yet in recruiting prowess from Mac compared to M3... for that matter, we could use some "circle of life" drills again ;)

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
It was pretty hard to read. I was laughing so hard I blew beer out my nose and covered the computer screen.

Call me when we win the NC and land our second incredible recruiting class.

I will hang up and listen.
With the exception of blowing beer out of my nose onto my computer screen, this is pretty much my same reaction. This is sunshine pumping on drugs.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Yea Mac isn't even in the same conversation as Zook when it comes to recruiting. I'd also be curious to know Urban's record against teams with a winning record cause Mac's is terrible against teams with winning records. Mac has most of his wins against teams with lossing records, he's also had the easiest schedule in UF history last 10 years. Article is laughable at best

Last edited:

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
Record vs teams with a winning record 05/06 15/16

Meyer 13-4
Mac 3-4, no idea what it will be this year but it's not looking good.

Not seeing the comparison.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Full Moon tonight..... :bananadance2:

I'm not in love with Mac but I hate Meyer!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
To be fair, there are some things about Mac's offense that I like. I think he (or Nuss or the O staff or whoever) does a pretty decent job with the design of some of the pass plays. There are a lot of open receivers at times and I think that they know how to combo routes against certain coverages to get receivers in the soft spots. The problem, as we've seen, is inconsistency from the QB position and continuing OL issues. By year three, you'd expect things to be solidifying and that is certainly our hope going forward. But quite frankly, the QB position is and will likely remain in a state of flux, unless Allen or another QB can come in and make an immediate impact (which is asking a lot). The current stable of QB's are a mixture of journeymen, who most likely are bumping their heads on the ceiling, or freshmen who still have a ways to go. The OL, by all rights, should be improved next season, but that is not a given. Outside of a nice stable of RB's, the bright spot appears to be some talented and growing WR's. But I can't help but circle back to the QB position...serviceable, but nobody at this time with the "it" factor and debatable whether or not it can move beyond that designation by next season.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
If I am not mistaken, all or most starters on offense will be back next year? Hopefully the O makes major strides. It's the defense I worry about.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The difference in success lies squarely on the shoulders of Treon. I'm a little amazed that we need to have this pointed out. We weren't going to beat F$U, Alabama or Michigan, no how, no way. It's naive to think that we would have. You can argue that Treon could have been coached up or one of the scout team QB's would've been better but you'd be wrong. Of course there was the problem with the ragtag line. And before you go there it would have been foolish to try to have the team run a spread offense or triple wing or whatever crazy scheme that was being proposed on here. Last year was an abomination yet we still managed to eek out 10 wins.
The 2015 recruiting year was a needs based year. We needed bodies. We whiffed on a few that we wanted and picked up a couple of surprises. These days kids get recruited three years in advance and a new staff is not going to have the relationships with kids that late in the game. Sad but true. Meyer is a super recruiter, no doubt one of the best in the business. But he and Chump had the luxury of selling the Florida sizzle. By the time Mac got here there was no sizzle to sell. So the staff last year was up against three things, lack of relationships, need to load up at certain positions and a tarnished brand. Then throw in to that their skill or lack thereof at recruiting. The other inconvenient truth is that it's going to be real hard for anybody including Florida to unseat the Alabama machine from the top of the heap.
Winning with an exciting brand of football fixes everything. As cover said schematically we have that and it's beginning to look like for the first time in years that we have some skill players to get that done. But everything, everything, comes down to QB play. LDR has been at best average but average is prolly good enough to run the table. We ain't getting past Alabama unless they have some kind of massive meltdown which I don't foresee. And I expect this year's bowl game to have more meaning for the team.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The only fair way to compare ? switch rosters. Another thing Meyer's OSU teams have had a QB that
busts it running, gaining more YPC than Tebow ... plus they pass in a game managing way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator