Comparing the two deep talent for Florida/Michigan

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed. Michigan is breaking in 20 new starters(?) in the first game of the season. Mac has a huge advantage and should win this game hands down. If he loses there will be a search party formed(coaching)...if he loses bad he may not make it until the end of the season imo.

been formed.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that Mac should win this game. Unfortunately that doesn't always mean that we will win. I take no pleasure in being negative towards Mac, but there's just been too many coaching blunders already by him to be confident in his capabilities as a head coach. This game (really this season) will be a great opportunity for him to change the opinions of many fans that are not sold on him yet. Of course, losing this game may change the opinions of those that think he's the guy. This game may very well determine how hot is seat will be going into year 4.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that Mac should win this game. Unfortunately that doesn't always mean that we will win. I take no pleasure in being negative towards Mac, but there's just been too many coaching blunders already by him to be confident in his capabilities as a head coach. This game (really this season) will be a great opportunity for him to change the opinions of many fans that are not sold on him yet. Of course, losing this game may change the opinions of those that think he's the guy. This game may very well determine how hot is seat will be going into year 4.

I think the teams reaction after this game (win or lose) will define this team.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
This game will go down in history for being the deciding factor whether Mac stays or goes. At least the perception.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Harbaugh will coach circles around Mac, again. UM's DL is their apparent strength and our OL is trash. I expect UF to keep it close maybe 14-10 at the half. Then the defense due to lack of talent-depth at LB and DT will tire and UM will run it down our throat and win 38-17 because the staff makes zero adjustments on O to help and JH, Mattison, and Brown will. This game is a terrible matchup.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This game will go down in history for being the deciding factor whether Mac stays or goes. At least the perception.
Starting the year off with another Butters Blowout will start the fire, no doubt.

Edit: sorry, I forgot I turned a new leaf.

There is no doubt that we are getting better and better. Headed in the right direction. Ive seen the improvement, trust me.

If we lose to Michigan it just proves they cheat at recruiting and that Muschump really left a mess. It may take 6 six years to fix this.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Harbaugh will coach circles around Mac, again. UM's DL is their apparent strength and our OL is trash. I expect UF to keep it close maybe 14-10 at the half. Then the defense due to lack of talent-depth at LB and DT will tire and UM will run it down our throat and win 38-17 because the staff makes zero adjustments on O to help and JH, Mattison, and Brown will. This game is a terrible matchup.

I completely forgot they had Mattison as their DL coach. They have a pretty damn impressive staff.

Mac can prove a lot by beating them while they are young and inexperienced.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think we can win........ That's saying something.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Interesting part of this matchup will be if Harbaugh tries to exploit the front 7 on our defense. If he's successful with an inexperienced offensive line it could give us a look at what the rest of the run heavy SEC is going to try later in the season. I'm not taking a shot at the defense when I say this but MacButters better have something up his sleeve to gets points on the board because this isn't anything like the last 2 years stonewall defenses. They have talent but they need time to gel and get more depth. I sure hope the offense doesn't keep them on the field all the time. It could lead to them getting injured and demoralized before the season is halfway over.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The number of returning starters is a big indicator of success (or failure) according to Phil Steele, who is the best at what he does by far.

Michigan had a lot of blowout wins last year, so that younger talent got a lot of playing time - not starts, but enough playing time to not be "green".

UF, on the other hand, did not have a ton of blowouts....but we did have a TON of injuries, especially on Defense. I'm fairly certain that every single D starter we'll have this year started at least 1 game last year (unless a redshirt freshman wins a starting job, which is doubtful).

So, when we look at the number of "returning starters" our D is in decent shape. Look at the LB corps, all of those guys started games. Clark & Bryan combined for 8 starts last year. Dawson & Gardner have started games (and both of our Safties have as well). Sherit has 8+ starts and Zuniga/Davis have made a start or two each. We're not in bad shape.

This game should be close, and I'm guessing very ugly. Our O is going to have to move the ball and put up some points. Hopefully our D can get a few turnovers, but that's not guaranteed. I think Michigan is better coached than we are, top to bottom. But we should have an edge here w/ experience.
It won't even be close.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
They have a qb that's better than anything our secondary has seen. They're better upfront. We have 2 defensive tackles that have played a meaningful snap of college football. This game has disaster written all over it.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
In Michigan's spring game they had some ones going against ones and their D line was eating their O line up with no problem. I guess that is good because maybe it means our D line will have an easier matchup but their D line looked pretty good with the new starters. That QB had a real crappy spring game but we already know what he is which is an average QB with experience why we don't know what we have with Franks.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
In Michigan's spring game they had some ones going against ones and their D line was eating their O line up with no problem. I guess that is good because maybe it means our D line will have an easier matchup but their D line looked pretty good with the new starters. That QB had a real crappy spring game but we already know what he is which is an average QB with experience why we don't know what we have with Franks.

Or possibly it means that defense is usually ahead of the offense early in practice. The shorter they make spring ball, the more this is true in spring ball. This is particularly true when you are bringing in lots of new players on both sides of the ball.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Or possibly it means that defense is usually ahead of the offense early in practice. The shorter they make spring ball, the more this is true in spring ball. This is particularly true when you are bringing in lots of new players on both sides of the ball.

Exactly... Starting at equal points defense always starts off faster than offense. It's easier to read/react than to know your assignments.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

I'm 46 years old and spring practice has been 15 practices since, at least, the Pell era.....but I get your point about D's usually being ahead of the O.

On that note, apparently the LSU O (under new OC Matt Canada) is looking very good.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
It won't even be close.
I don't see this game being a blowout either way. In fact it may resemble last years LSU game. Harbaugh is a very sound coach when it comes to fundamentals across the board but I seriously don't expect any high flying three ring circus offense from them. It's not in his blood. If he finds a weakness in our front 7 he will exploit it but I can't see them scoring more than 27, maybe 31 points. The real question is how many will our offense be able to score on his usually sound defense. I see a 20-13 gruntfest that would have Bo and Woody smiling from ear to ear, and have this board b!tching up a storm especially if we lose.....All that being said we have Butters and his dismal record against top programs working against us...

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Meatchicken's D-Line is the strength of their team, IMO. I looked at their depth there and recognized many of the names as guys that were highly ranked and that we were pursuing as well (Gary, Jones, Marshall and Solomon).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Meatchicken's D-Line is the strength of their team, IMO. I looked at their depth there and recognized many of the names as guys that were highly ranked and that we were pursuing as well (Gary, Jones, Marshall and Solomon).
WDWHA :stars::stars::stars:

:bananadance:

I feel like I need to drink more in order to be a better pumper.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WDWHA :stars::stars::stars:

:bananadance:

I feel like I need to drink more in order to be a better pumper.
You're not very good at it. 1. I can't believe you're even trying, and 2. I can't believe you're not drunk.
And we did want Gary, Jones, Marshall and Solomon, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.