Concert Comments - Did you see them live? Get the shirt?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TLB, Apr 6, 2018.

1. '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $4,393
    Ratings:
    +10,281 / -247
    It's old as the hills but still a cool hall. I'd go back.

2. Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $2,237
    Ratings:
    +8,790 / -19
    If it was a round black building on the outside (but connected to a convention center) that looked like it seated about 12,000... it was Cobo Arena. It's right downtown on the Detroit River (but you might not know that going into Cobo). "The Arena" is in the basement of St Andrews Hall and is a small venue that only holds about 1000 people and I think has only been having awesome bands since like 1980.

I'm pretty positive you were in Cobo for GFR... It shows them playing there in April 1970... one week before The Doors! ;)

There are/were other flat out amazing small venues in Detroit (Harpo's... still open) and Dearborn (the Grande Ballroom... not open).

• 5-Star Finger

5-Star Finger Dexterous Member

Oxbucks:
      $1,236
      Ratings:
      +1,282 / -5
      Best concert ever was Dave Matthew's Band in 2000 in Orlando. Vertical Horizon opened and did a great job. The place was live. They came back out and did two or three encores. It was incredible how good they sounded live.

• '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $4,393
      Ratings:
      +10,281 / -247
      No, it was definitely Chicago, lol. Fall of '70, I want to say. My initial visit to the Motor City came in January 1972. Went with a buddy originally from Birmingham. Heck, I wasn't even 17 and my parents allowed me to pile in a Mustang with two other guys my age and drive to another city.

(Man, were they dumb.)

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $1,931
      Ratings:
      +9,042 / -35
      I saw AC/DC in Ethiad Stadium in Melbourne, Australia. Sold out of course. Black Ice tour.

Insane.

• GatorBart

GatorBart :bandit:
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $487
        Ratings:
        +5,447 / -23
        Just remembered :bandit: that I saw the Replacements in 1985 in a tiny little bar in Champaign, IL. Paul Westerberg was so effed up when they came out for the encore that when the band started the first song he just said ‘**** it’ into the mic and walked directly forward into the crowd, right past us, and took a seat at the bar, which had just cleared out to watch the encore. Gotta be in my top 5.

• TheDouglas78

TheDouglas78 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,575
          Ratings:
          +4,766 / -41
          Saturday night after the baseball game (Single A) saw Young MC and Rob Base.

The stage was built behind the left field stands in front of the playground (family friendly stadium). Young MC opened with some stuff I didn't know then played both his known tracks. Young MC isn't so young anymore. My 6 year old neice loved it, and so did my friends kids. Danced like madmen. Rob Base came out and played a lot of covers from the early nineties to early 00's then played his hit song. Both dudes were well past their prime, Young MC is 59. But it was fun and extremely family friendly. For tickets for the game and concert ranging from $5-14 it was a good deal. Summer Shanty beer was sponsoring the post game concert so 24oz Summer Shanty were $3.50.

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $1,450
            Ratings:
            +3,957 / -42
            Holy crap. I feel old, but, MAN...he's 59? AND still playing?

Still, you describe a great evening of fun for the whole family. Glad that's still available and you got to enjoy it.

• TheDouglas78

Oxbucks:
            $1,575
            Ratings:
            +4,766 / -41
            moved about the whole stage the whole time, it was 84 degrees and humility was unreal.

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $1,450
            Ratings:
            +3,957 / -42
            Damn that Florida humility is a btch. Ain't it?

• GatorBart

GatorBart :bandit:
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $487
              Ratings:
              +5,447 / -23
              I know we Gators have had our share lately and I’m getting tired of it - and I live in Seattle!
              :gah:

• TheDouglas78

Oxbucks:
                $1,575
                Ratings:
                +4,766 / -41
                Just added to the schedule:
                21 Pilots at the St Pete Times Forum in November.

• daytonacane

Oxbucks:
                  $224
                  Ratings:
                  +494 / -8
                  Michael Jackson in the Gator Bowl in Jax. somewhere around late 70's to mid 80's. And, four times saw Elvis...first time he was in Jax. at the old baseball park in Springfield area with a traveling hillbilly show (LA Hayride ??)and my friend took a pic of us with my big brownie box camera (no one knew who he was then), 2nd time while sitting on a curb in front of Hoyt Axton's house in Jax. when Elvis stopped by to visit with Hoyt's Mom, Mae who co-wrote "Heartbreak Hotel" , 3rd time @ the FL Theater in Jax when he wasn't allowed to shake his hips. And the 4th & last time @ the Coliseum in Jax not too long before he died.

• soflagator

soflagator Senior Member
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $2,316
                    Ratings:
                    +6,886 / -17
                    That’s a pretty solid list. My first official show was STP in ‘94. Meat Puppets opened. Good show.

Probably my favorite was Goldfinger, with Reel Big Fish opening in ‘97 at the Milk Bar in Jax. But the Warped Tours in ‘97 and ‘98 were ridiculous lineups. Pennywise, Rancid, Social D, No Doubt, Less than Jake. Tough to compare those events.

Biggest disappointment: 311, and any of the Marley family offshoots.

Biggest regrets: missed Deftones due to canceled shows twice, never saw the Pumpkins, and my wife was going to buy Andrea Bocelli tix for our anniversary but I stalled and it sold out.

• T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $1,246
                    Ratings:
                    +5,623 / -363
                    First concert was J Geils Band.

Over the years I've seen some amazing shows from U2 to Nine Inch Nails from DAC to Kenny Chesney to Big Bad VooDoo Daddy to Armin Van Buuren.

Recent concerts Reel Big Fish, Ben Folds, Piano Guys, Mumford and Sons, Lumineers, Twenty One Pilots, Pixies/Weezer

Weirdly enough...I've never seen Billy Joel. My calendar never lined up. That's one I wish I had gone to.

• T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $1,246
                    Ratings:
                    +5,623 / -363
                    They put on an amazing show. The disney 10K is the same day so we are going to miss it. We've seen them twice and they put on a very entertaining concert. Enjoy.