Conference Championship Games

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's been 25 years since the SEC started the Championship Game and changed the landscape of College Football forever. Has that time come to an end and does College Football take on a new era with the Playoffs?

Consensus is that the Playoffs need to expand to more teams. There's a lot of mixed feelings about automatic bids for Conference Champions because it would diminish the regular season. What if the Conference Championship Game didn't exist anymore and there was simply a regular season champion? Obviously, like the SEC currently, there's 2 Divisions with one Division (East) is pathetic while the other is perceived as loaded. Vice versa many years ago.

What if there weren't Divisions in Conferences and instead made the regular season most important. There's automatic bids for the Power 5 with 3 Wild Card teams. Do away with the Championship Game, where PSU beats and undefeated OSU or God willing Florida would have beat Bama. Make the regular season great again and add the extra games for playoffs. no more bowl games and instead all more practice time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Consensus is that the Playoffs need to expand to more teams.
The consensus? Where did you get this consensus? Are you talking to Nolls, CUMeyes or some other team that can't win their division?

I think the consensus is that teams that don't win their conference CG shouldn't be in the playoff.

Last edited:

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That would make scheduling awfully difficult and extremely important/controversial

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The consensus? Where did you get this consensus? Are you talking to Nolls, CUMeyes or some other team that can't win their division?

I think the consensus is that teams that don't win their conference CG shouldn't be in the playoff.
I thought that at first as well but truth be told, no one wants a team that's lost 3 or 4 games winning an arbitrary Conference Championship Game. However, lose the Championship Game all together and make the regular season mean more.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Conference championship games are necessary to determine conference champions since we have these 12-14 team conferences now. The national playoffs should be formed independently of conference championship games. Give us the four best teams that can be decided as objectively as possible. Automatic bids would be a disaster.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Conference championship games are necessary to determine conference champions since we have these 12-14 team conferences now. The national playoffs should be formed independently of conference championship games. Give us the four best teams that can be decided as objectively as possible. Automatic bids would be a disaster.
If so why should a conference endanger their undefeated, highly rated team in a conference championship game?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If so why should a conference endanger their undefeated, highly rated team in a conference championship game?
If the conferences want a true conference champion, the only way to do it is round robin play or a conference championship game. And if there are 14 teams in a conference, round robin play is impossible. I thought that part was obvious. Nobody wants to see some four loss team that lucks out in a conference championship game make it into the playoffs over a one loss team.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If the conferences want a true conference champion, the only way to do it is round robin play or a conference championship game. And if there are 14 teams in a conference, round robin play is impossible. I thought that part was obvious. Nobody wants to see some four loss team that lucks out in a conference championship game make it into the playoffs over a one loss team.
:facepalm:

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
Get rid of them, stop letting the team that lost this game think they accomplished anything :grin:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not necessarily. Think about Basketball. There's a regular season conference champion and a conference tourney champion. Getting rid of the divisions in the conferences would allow them to be ranked and define a winner without a championship game between 2 divisions. To the same point both of us are making about what if we had beaten Bama.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I like it at 4 teams. Any more teams start diluting the season. Penn State shouldnt have lost 2 games if they wanted in. I do agree conference champions in the power 5 should get the nod if losses are the same.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Not necessarily. Think about Basketball. There's a regular season conference champion and a conference tourney champion. Getting rid of the divisions in the conferences would allow them to be ranked and define a winner without a championship game between 2 divisions. To the same point both of us are making about what if we had beaten Bama.

Football is not basketball.

There's reasons why it shouldn't happen and there are reasons why it won't happen. The reasons why it shouldn't are numerous, the reason why it won't are singular ($$$$$).

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Football is not basketball.

There's reasons why it shouldn't happen and there are reasons why it won't happen. The reasons why it shouldn't are numerous, the reason why it won't are singular ($$$$$).
Well that was profound.

Guess that takes care of this thread. URG, lock it up.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I like it at 4 teams.
I don't but it isn't changing.

If it had been 2 teams this year, we would have seen Bammer vs. Clemson. Two pretenders were allowed a chance but proved to be exactly that.

Losing a game in September or October, and knocking yourself out of the conference championship IS THE FIRST ROUND OF THE PLAYOFF. The conference championship is the second round. If we MUST have 4, then I'd take only the four highest ranked conference champions.

I don't know why people want to destroy the beauty of college football, that every damn Saturday matters, and try to turn it into the NFL where you just have to go .500 to make the playoffs or college basketball where the rest of the season doesn't matter much (and the ratings reflect that).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Luckily, you are out west and no one cares what you think.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't but it isn't changing.

If it had been 2 teams this year, we would have seen Bammer vs. Clemson. Two pretenders were allowed a chance but proved to be exactly that.

Losing a game in September or October, and knocking yourself out of the conference championship IS THE FIRST ROUND OF THE PLAYOFF. The conference championship is the second round. If we MUST have 4, then I'd take only the four highest ranked conference champions.

I don't know why people want to destroy the beauty of college football, that every damn Saturday matters, and try to turn it into the NFL where you just have to go .500 to make the playoffs or college basketball where the rest of the season doesn't matter much (and the ratings reflect that).

I can't believe what I'm about to write, but Law is dead on with this one. This is the right perspective on the whole situation. The BCS was not bad itself and only once or twice was there any serious question about who the teams were who most deserved a shot at the national title. The value of the season should be preserved which means that the number of teams who get a crack at the title should be limited. Ideally we would have just 2 unless the year calls for more (think Auburn 2004), but since that isn't really possible, we should have no more than 4 and (here's where I disagree with Law and agree with Sas) there should be no automatic qualifiers. The four best teams get in.

As for PedoState or any other whiners not getting in, if you have a loss, you have no leg to stand on. If you go undefeated and are left out, then you have a legitimate gripe. Otherwise, win your games and you play for the big trophy. Obviously, most years we'll have multiple teams with losses in the playoffs, but that doesn't mean teams with a loss should ever feel entitled to a spot in the playoff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.