Conference Championship Games

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you are going to keep conference championship games then it should be a prerequisite to get into an 8 team championship playoff filled by the big 5 conferences plus 3 beauty pageant winners like OSU this year. An 8 game playoff would only last 1 week longer than a 4 team playoff.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If you are going to keep conference championship games then it should be a prerequisite to get into an 8 team championship playoff filled by the big 5 conferences plus 3 beauty pageant winners like OSU this year. An 8 game playoff would only last 1 week longer than a 4 team playoff.
Are you really that eager to see more blowouts? We can't even get competitive playoff games when it's 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3. What would 1 vs. 8 look like?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
yada yada yada
Fantastic counterpoint, compelling as always. Even better than the facepalm.

If 6 of the 8 playoff games so far in the 4 team format have been blowouts, how do you think the 8 team playoff would shake out?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
You're right. I could live in Ohio, like you, and think everyone cares what I think.
:burn: Law made some sense. Many coaches believe the old system was fine. That way an Alabama could claim dozens more championships with "polls". I used to say play the old bowl system like we did years ago and then pick the best four. Maybe play the bowl games and pick the best two out of that.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fantastic counterpoint, compelling as always. Even better than the facepalm.

If 6 of the 8 playoff games so far in the 4 team format have been blowouts, how do you think the 8 team playoff would shake out?
OSU was a 4 seed conference champion when they serve up 2 of those blowouts
OSU was a beauty pageant winner #3 seed this year when they got blowed out.

All of this means nothing. But if there were 8 teams percentage-wise there would probably be less blow-outs.

I like coach's idea that after the four big bowl games, the 4 winners would play the 4 team championship like we have now.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Well that was profound.

Guess that takes care of this thread. URG, lock it up.

Conferences will never give up championship game because of the money. Why would the SEC, for one, ever give up the SECCG? It is defacto sold out for eternity. The game revenue and TV revenue all go to the SEC. They don't have to share it with anyone else. The P5 conferences make the rules. Even if they went with an 8 team playoff (which that don't want) they would make it so the P5 Champs had auto bids. That's reality.

Now if you want to get into fantasy, then I suggest a new Division 1 of four 12-team power conferences, playing 11 regular season games, a conference championship game, 4 team playoff and NC. If you can name more than 48 competitive teams, I'll give you a medal.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Should create 4 16 team conferences and the conference championship games become the first round of the playoffs and then seed those 4 winners. Effectively a 8 team playoff...

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I can't believe what I'm about to write, but Law is dead on with this one. This is the right perspective on the whole situation. The BCS was not bad itself and only once or twice was there any serious question about who the teams were who most deserved a shot at the national title. The value of the season should be preserved which means that the number of teams who get a crack at the title should be limited. Ideally we would have just 2 unless the year calls for more (think Auburn 2004), but since that isn't really possible, we should have no more than 4 and (here's where I disagree with Law and agree with Sas) there should be no automatic qualifiers. The four best teams get in.

As for PedoState or any other whiners not getting in, if you have a loss, you have no leg to stand on. If you go undefeated and are left out, then you have a legitimate gripe. Otherwise, win your games and you play for the big trophy. Obviously, most years we'll have multiple teams with losses in the playoffs, but that doesn't mean teams with a loss should ever feel entitled to a spot in the playoff.
I cant believe i agreed with you and gave you a like.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I would like to hear one good reason why, as a Gator fan, I would want an 8 team playoff.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I would like to hear one good reason why, as a Gator fan, I would want an 8 team playoff.
I always got the impression that the Gators were always willing to prove it on the field, no matter what.

I guess we've lost that.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Conferences will never give up championship game because of the money. Why would the SEC, for one, ever give up the SECCG? It is defacto sold out for eternity. The game revenue and TV revenue all go to the SEC. They don't have to share it with anyone else. The P5 conferences make the rules. Even if they went with an 8 team playoff (which that don't want) they would make it so the P5 Champs had auto bids. That's reality.

Now if you want to get into fantasy, then I suggest a new Division 1 of four 12-team power conferences, playing 11 regular season games, a conference championship game, 4 team playoff and NC. If you can name more than 48 competitive teams, I'll give you a medal.
Don't act like Conference Championship Games have been around since the beginning of time. As I noted in the original post, it's been 25 years. Not every conference even has one and the Power 5 are finding out more often than not, that the 2 best teams happen to be in the same Division in their own Conference. It could easily be found that more money can be made in the Playoffs than just a Conference Championship Game. Again, A Championship can be determined by the regular season and not another useless game.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Don't act like Conference Championship Games have been around since the beginning of time. As I noted in the original post, it's been 25 years. Not every conference even has one and the Power 5 are finding out more often than not, that the 2 best teams happen to be in the same Division in their own Conference. It could easily be found that more money can be made in the Playoffs than just a Conference Championship Game. Again, A Championship can be determined by the regular season and not another useless game.
Footnote:
Out of 25 years of conference championship games, the Gators have 7 championships .

Because somebody would ask : Bama has 7 championships
LSU has 4 championships
and Auburn has 3

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We haven't always been enemies.

...just since you decided to be a doosh.

:bananadance2:
You can't even handle a nice comment, but I'm the doosh. Ok :thumbup:
As far as enemies goes, this is a message board and people disagree. I have no "enemies" here. It's a bit sad that you consider disagreement to be more than it is, a difference of opinion.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As far as enemies goes, this is a message board and people disagree. I have no "enemies" here. It's a bit sad that you consider disagreement to be more than it is, a difference of opinion.
Thought he was joking.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

You know what? I'm sincerely sorry that my post came off to you as me taking a jab at you.

A few weeks ago when I was getting a ton of heat for a thread I started, Ox was openly telling me that maybe I wasn't cut our for the world of message boards. In real life I have two sides and people know me as a person whose attitude is either very serious about thinks I care deeply about or fun-loving about life. I know that in reaction to what I read here, I am often serious, trying to overcome what I see as destructive (as opposed to constructive) attitudes. So, Ox's words resonated somewhat with something I already knew - I'm mostly serious here and I should find a way to bring some balance to my expressions on this board.

So... when I said this about Law's post...
I can't believe what I'm about to write, but Law is dead on with this one. This is the right perspective on the whole situation.

...and then you wrote this...
I cant believe i agreed with you and gave you a like.

I thought I could crack a joke and build (through ribbing, like men do) a little on some common ground with some humor. Clearly your perception of me didn't allow you to see it in the way I meant it. Thanks for the like and the agreement. Carry on.

(Geeze, I regret that these things must be said.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.