Cops behaving badly AGAIN..

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I am not afraid to admit that I'm afraid of what's going on with Law Enforcement in our country. It's gotten so far out of control, I honestly don't know how it'll ever be turned around. In my opinion, giving law enforcement military weapons and equipment was a huge mistake. It went to their heads and a large (not all) number of men and women serving in law enforcement have forgotten their job is to protect and serve, not harass and abuse.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n50590 said:
In my opinion, giving law enforcement military weapons and equipment was a huge mistake.

Throughout the history of this country, law enforcement has always carried basically the same equipment as the military or used military equipment of the previous generation. The same can somewhat be said for the fire service (and criminals too). Most fire departments in the 50-70s had surplus jeeps, M37s, deuces, even tracked vehicles. Most police and fire aviation in those days were surplus.

Really the only thing that has changed is the level of paranoia and that internet fed conspiracy theory lunatics are more common. People didn't use to shiit themselves and assume the UN was coming if they saw a special law enforcement or fire unit in an M37.

When I was but a wee Law growing up in a rural area, I volunteered for a fire department and did SAR and brushfire stuff. They issued used Vietnam era miltary ALICE gear with canteens and M16 mag (or snickers and trail mix) carriers and old field jackets. I could imagine how the lunatic fringe would react to seeing that these days.

I'd suggest aluminum foil or perhaps medication if it's really bothering you.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n50843 said:
Throughout the history of this country, law enforcement has always carried basically the same equipment as the military or used military equipment of the previous generation. The same can somewhat be said for the fire service ()and criminals too. Most fire departments in the 50-70s had surplus jeeps, M37s, deuces, even tracked vehicles. Most police and fire aviation in those days were surplus.

Really the only thing that has changed is the level of paranoia and that internet fed conspiracy theory lunatics are more common. People didn't use to shiit themselves and assume the UN was coming if they saw a special law enforcement or fire unit in an M37.

When I was but a Wee Law growing up in a rural area, I volunteered for a fire department and did SAR and brushfire stuff. They issued use miltary ALICE gear with canteens and mag (or snickers) carriers and old field jackets. I could imagine how the lunatic fringe would react to seeing that these days.

I'd suggest aluminum foil or perhaps medication.

So you're saying cops have been beating innocent people senseless throughout our history? Look, I get it that LE is an authority figure. I've never been anything but respectful to any I've come in contact with. But just because someone gives them some lip doesn't give them the right to beat the crap out of someone. You can say we're over-reacting all you want but there are just as many real abuses documented on social media these days as there are staged and instigated confrontations by people looking to make the police look bad. It's really happening out there. You can hide your head in the sand if you want, pretending it's not happening isn't going to help. I know you're in the business of law and LE makes you money so you have an invested interest in keeping them doing business as usual.:rolleyes:

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There is too much evidence already compiled and in the public domain for this to be a conspiracy theory. Save the foil...

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
After I graduated from high school, coming home from college,getting caught up on my local classmates I found that
"the gang" of the school,(bullies who got probation for severely breaking in and trashing-vandalizing an elementary
school) had all become police. They'd learned something about having stark authority over others and they liked the
position. However, I think they made decent cops back in the 60's.

It can be unfair for outsiders to judge police when we know nothing of today's society when there are lots greater percentage of villains on the street who have crimes enough to surprise shoot a policeman.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If I had to guess I would think the actual number of instances where cops are using excessive force is down. We just hear about them now with all the instant media. Any cop that does something like this now is taking a huge risk with all the cameras people have in their pockets.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n50850 said:
So you're saying cops have been beating innocent people senseless throughout our history?
Hell yeah they have! You just didn't see it because not everybody had a video camera in their pocket.

I bet if you took a poll, most people would think that violent crime and murder are way up in this country. The fact is that they are way down, to levels we haven't seen in decades. You'd never know it by watching the news however.

Attachments

• conv_823.png
    conv_823.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 58
  • conv_824.gif
    conv_824.gif
    11.6 KB · Views: 58

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r said:
Law98gator;n50843 said:
Throughout the history of this country, law enforcement has always carried basically the same equipment as the military or used military equipment of the previous generation. The same can somewhat be said for the fire service ()and criminals too. Most fire departments in the 50-70s had surplus jeeps, M37s, deuces, even tracked vehicles. Most police and fire aviation in those days were surplus.

When I was but a Wee Law growing up in a rural area, I volunteered for a fire department and did SAR and brushfire stuff. They issued use miltary ALICE gear with canteens and mag (or snickers) carriers and old field jackets. I could imagine how the lunatic fringe would react to seeing that these days.

I'd suggest aluminum foil or perhaps medication.

So you're saying cops have been beating innocent people senseless throughout our history? Look, I get it that LE is an authority figure. I've never been anything but respectful to any I've come in contact with. But just because someone gives them some lip doesn't give them the right to beat the crap out of someone. You can say we're over-reacting all you want but there are just as many real abuses documented on social media these days as there are staged and instigated confrontations by people looking to make the police look bad. It's really happening out there. You can hide your head in the sand if you want, pretending it's not happening isn't going to help. I know you're in the business of law and LE makes you money so you have an invested interest in keeping them doing business as usual.:rolleyes:
Yes of course the police have been beating folks in the day. My aunt was injured by some thugs and when the police caught them they "resisted" arrest. Cops in Philly had steel tips on their clubs to beat criminals. Things are much better today, no matter what you might think.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo said:
NavetG8r;n50850 said:
So you're saying cops have been beating innocent people senseless throughout our history?
Hell yeah they have! You just didn't see it because not everybody had a video camera in their pocket.

I bet if you took a poll, most people would think that violent crime and murder are way up in this country. The fact is that they are way down, to levels we haven't seen in decades. You'd never know it by watching the news however.

Perception is reality in may ways, and of course the media controls the message.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo said:
NavetG8r;n50850 said:

I suppose that if I said I was 6-4 with 5% body fat, you could say I created a perception that I'm in great shape. Or you could just say I lied and misled you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator