Cornelius Ingram

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My problem with him is his name. How do you shorten it? Cornie? Co Co? Just Co?
I'd vote for "Neil." Had an old coaching buddy that had a guy in his dorm in college that was...confused. Said they used to greet him with 'Hey ---------, how's the corn?!" Makes me want to stay away from any 'corn' references. NTTAWWT ;)

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Lol...yep I played at Hawthorne many times. When he was there Hawthorne was as good as any team in the county. The reffing didn’t matter because they were just flat out better than us.

After he left it was more even and we beat Hawthorne. I used to joke the refs were helping da brothas. So, my experience was the same.
Plank, I played against Hawthorne probably 8 times in BB and 3 times in football. But this was back in the early 70s. THEY were always good with quick guards and size. Everett Brown. Reggie Fort (hugeguy) and Mike Brown (6 3) We had nothing over 6 2 but we gave them fits. My sr. year (73) they were ranked #2 in the state and undefeated. We into their gym and beat them at the end on a fast break I got the assist. Their next loss was in the state championship game to Melb. Central Catholic I think. Father Lopez beat us in the reginonals that year. Those damned private schools had much bigger players (we all knew they recruited). I got a tech in our gym (Newberry) playing them. They had quick hands and I played PG. One slapped the hell out of me going for the ball right in front of a ref. I looked at the ref and said WTH was that. I got the tech.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A little note on Hawthorne hoops...I went to the State Tournament in 1987 and Hawthorne was in the Class A Final Four. When they took the floor against Baker (had to look this back up), they looked really small (tallest guy was 5'11" or so) and their coach reminded me of an old insurance salesman with double-knits, Hushpuppies, and a plaid sports coat. They destroyed Baker and scored 90+ in that game. A couple of days later, they beat a Christian school from Tampa for the Class A title that had three guys that were 6'4" or taller (as best as I can remember). I think they scored 85 in the championship game. Their plan was to smother you with man D and either get a turnover or rebound and start running, where they'd either get a fast break opportunity or shoot one from long range. I remember my buddy I was there with saying that the game they were playing would never catch on because it featured no set offense and seemed to de-emphasize passing, screens, and mid-range shooting and the D didn't seem to include a good zone. To the eyes of that generation, it looked a little out of control! Little did we know that what we were seeing was what the game would look like today! They physically wore down their opponents and had to be in phenomenal shape. The old insurance salesman was ahead of his time.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
And I bet the coach had almost white hair.........if I remember their team would play lots of MUCH bigger schools during the year and get used to playing taller and very talented teams. So when the tournaments rolled around they were ready for pretty much anything, AND that presssing running game they played with smothering defense was something to see. Maybe old Nolan Richardson was back in the locker room advising them,.

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017
Hawthorne never won the state title when Cornelius played because Arlington Country Day School was in their region. Hard to score on 5⭐️ Center Jason Bennett who was like 7’4” 300 lbs when they put him in the middle of a 2-3 Zone. He was 7’4” and had arms that went down to his knees. I watched him play live against PK Yonge one year. PK Yonge had a starting 5 that all went on to play college ball and no one on the team could get an uncontested shot off inside the 3 point line because of Jason Bennett. He was the best shot blocker I’ve ever seen at the high school level. It was not shocking when he went to KSU and set the Big XII single game record for blocked shots his freshman year there.

I’m shocked he never amounted to anything at the pro level. Dude was an absolute beast in high school.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And I bet the coach had almost white hair.........if I remember their team would play lots of MUCH bigger schools during the year and get used to playing taller and very talented teams. So when the tournaments rolled around they were ready for pretty much anything, AND that presssing running game they played with smothering defense was something to see. Maybe old Nolan Richardson was back in the locker room advising them,.
I think he had a crew cut and what hair he had was more brown than anything. The Nolan Richardson reference was appropriate, as the Hawthorne kids seemed to subject the two teams I saw them play to "40 minutes of hell!" Bigger teams didn't appear to faze them, so they must have cut their teeth on such during the regular season.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The guy i was thinking about was named Phillips I think and probably was through coaching by 1987

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you played against him in that Hawthorne gym, you weren't just playing against his team, I can guarantee you those refs were solidly on their side.

I've been to a lot of high school basketball games and I've NEVER seen more biased officiating anywhere......

On a related note, Hawthorne High school hasn't been closed? It is considered the worst school in Alachua County by far.

I have never witnessed a game in that gym where a TF was not called on the visiting team.

Two things can be simultaneously true - horrendously biased officiating calls and losing a basketball game.

If you have never visited that gym and seen it for yourself, it truly is hard to imagine the level of prejudice.
This sounds a lot like what we'd run into when I was in HS and we were playing Grand Ridge, Graceville, Ponce de Leon, etc. in the panhandle. All the gyms were cracker boxes, hot, and in addition to them all being pretty good in hoops, the officials were brutal!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Just saw this on FB. How good would this guy have been if he hadn't wrecked his knee before his senior season? One of my favorite Gators.

There was a time what seems like long long ago that UF would have WRs drop passes like that or QBs miss a guy that open or one OL miss his block and the QB get disrupted before he could make that throw. And you know what would happen is UF would have such a good offensive scheme and plan that UF would come back and run another great play and still score on the drive. The offenses UF has had recently have been such that you must take advantage every time you get it because they get so few.

What was the sequence against UGa in Athens? UF scored a TD but there was a motion penalty. So it became first and 15 from the 25 or 30ish yard line. So on the second play UF scored a TD but there was another penalty. Then on the 3rd play UF scored another TD. I am not sure if that was it or there was another penalty, but once it seems like long long long ago UF was good enough on offense that it did not have to be perfect every play to score touchdowns.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just saw this on FB. How good would this guy have been if he hadn't wrecked his knee before his senior season? One of my favorite Gators.

I thought the same thing when I saw it. He would have been a superstar in the NFL if he didn't wreck his knee.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn't CI recruited as a quarterback?

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017
Wasn't CI recruited as a quarterback?

He was a top 100 player in basketball, and he was a top 10 QB. He went to the elite 11 I believe. I thought we recruited him as an athlete. Scouts were speculating he was the next Vick when he was in high school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator