Could Chip Kelly handle the pressure at UF?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
, there was a tsunami of posts bemoaning that our "operatives" were being clumsy at making Kelly a done deal.
You call me Lord again and I will track you down and slap the laughing gas out of you.

There was one single Kelly nutswinger as I recall.

Laughing out our clumsy and failed hiring process was and is legit.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
You call me Lord again and I will track you down and slap the laughing gas out of you. There was one single Kelly nutswinger as I recall.

well apparently (from the looks of things) it could have been clumsier.......just saying. Failed? Like saying a player is a failure before he has a chance to prove it on the field..

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So far out top two candidates are 0-5 for the season. Let that sink in? How would we have responded if we got the coach we “wanted” and started out 0-3 thus far, and MSU was looking strong as they do right now?

It wouldn't have fased me too much because of what Mac left as long as they were getting the recruits in they need to turn things around and run their system.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
You call me Lord again and I will track you down and slap the laughing gas out of you.

There was one single Kelly nutswinger as I recall.

You only recall one? Your memory is worse than mine. How ancient are you?

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
I would've preferred Kelly to Frost, but neither were good choices. You guys have been submitted to watching Champ and Mac's offenses for too long. Everyone was hell bent on getting offensive reform. So everyone panicked and started reaching for a ghost.
Neither of those guys are good coaches.
They have very good offensive minds, but they aren't too good at running a team. That horizontal offense that Chip ran at Oregon wouldn't be sustainable in the SEC.

Now, I really never understood the love affair with Frost. I was never behind that. Nor would I have been cool with UF hiring him. I won't voice my real opinion on Frost because I know that so many on here loves the guy and would be hurt if I told the truth. Just know... I'm not surprised he's struggling now and I'm fairly confident in saying he will continue to struggle. Scoring a lot of points in a conference devoid of defense isn't an accomplishment in my book. He just happened to have more talent than the other "no defense having" schools. Most of you just saw a guy who scored a lot of points and recruited decently for the school he was at. That's a very neanderthalic view of football. That's fine for a coordinator, but not a head coach. You have to be more rounded.

edit: These issues are magnified when you consider that he insisted on bringing his entire staff. Really, Frost? Even those abysmal defensive coaches? Shows me a lot about his decision making.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
I would've preferred Kelly to Frost, but neither were good choices. You guys have been submitted to watching Champ and Mac's offenses for too long. Everyone was hell bent on getting offensive reform. So everyone panicked and started reaching for a ghost.
Neither of those guys are good coaches.
They have very good offensive minds, but they aren't too good at running a team. That horizontal offense that Chip ran at Oregon wouldn't be sustainable in the SEC.

Now, I really never understood the love affair with Frost. I was never behind that. Nor would I have been cool with UF hiring him. I won't voice my real opinion on Frost because I know that so many on here loves the guy and would be hurt if I told the truth. Just know... I'm not surprised he's struggling now and I'm fairly confident in saying he will continue to struggle. Scoring a lot of points in a conference devoid of defense isn't an accomplishment in my book. He just happened to have more talent than the other "no defense having" schools. Most of you just saw a guy who scored a lot of points and recruited decently for the school he was at. That's a very neanderthalic view of football. That's fine for a coordinator, but not a head coach. You have to be more rounded.

edit: These issues are magnified when you consider that he insisted on bringing his entire staff. Really, Frost? Even those abysmal defensive coaches? Shows me a lot about his decision making.

Frost did beat a decent Auburn that went ranked 10th last year and defeated No 1 Alabama. So they didn't just beat "no defense" teams. Yes his record is short, but he did turn that program around significantly.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Frost did beat a decent Auburn that went ranked 10th last year and defeated No 1 Alabama. So they didn't just beat "no defense" teams. Yes his record is short, but he did turn that program around significantly.
True. I'm not gonna do the circular argument about them beating AU and AU beating Alabama etc. That's a futile argument for me.
I try not to view things in a vacuum. Sure he exceeded all expectations, but the defensive deficiencies are more concerning than the win over Auburn is comforting.
Any team may win one game against an SEC team. The real question is if you think he could sustain that. If he played Auburn 10 times, how many do you think he wins? When you look at it from a big picture perspective it becomes less impressive.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
These issues are magnified when you consider that he insisted on bringing his entire staff. Really, Frost? Even those abysmal defensive coaches? Shows me a lot about his decision making.

Thought I agree, it's the same thing Mullen basically did... The benefit of frost is he has both played and coached both sides of the ball. But his sample size wasn't big enough, only 2 years at a mid major.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
So far out top two candidates are 0-5 for the season. Let that sink in? How would we have responded if we got the coach we “wanted” and started out 0-3 thus far, and MSU was looking strong as they do right now?
NV says there are "no excuses" so under his logic he would fire Dabo when he lost in the first game he ever coached at Clemson.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
It wouldn't have fased me too much because of what Mac left as long as they were getting the recruits in they need to turn things around and run their system.
Wouldn't have fased you? Your lack of patience with Mullen certainly does not bare that out. Mullen worked quickly and efficiently on his 2018 transition class and the 2019 class is unfinished business and you certainly have been fased.

Kelly when he went to Oregon, told the AD that he hated recruiting so the AD said he would help with recruiting. The net result NCAA probation and Kelly moving to the NFL while his personal NCAA penalty timed out.

Last edited:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.