Could This Be What's Wrong With Our Program?

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Of course, I am kidding here; however, the difference between our testing practices and Texas' is remarkable. We seemed to do better when Urban made it easier to lite one up. I wonder what FSU's #'s are?

The following was taken from Mike Bianchi's article on the subject:

"According to data obtained by the Statesman, a total of 188 drug tests have been administered in the first eight months of Strong's tenure. At such a rate, 282 tests will be administered by the time Strong's first year is completed. From 2010 to 2013, Texas administered an average of 104 drug tests per year under former coach Mack Brown.

When I read those numbers, I have to admit, my first thought was this: Even 282 drug tests per year for a football team of more than 100-120 players doesn't seem like an incredible amount. So I got on the phone and found out how many times a similar program -- the University of Florida -- drug-tests its football players every year.

The results were eye-opening: Last year, the Gators drug-tested football players 406 times. The year before it was 377. The year before that it was 350. This year, UF has already tested its football players 300 times, which puts them on pace for another year of 400-plus drug tests."

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The really funny thing about this is that Strong has seemed to increase this beyond what Mack Brown did. Plus I saw on the news last night that the NFL wants to talk with Strong about his "Core Values" program!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n62813 said:
The really funny thing about this is that Strong has seemed to increase this beyond what Mack Brown did. Plus I saw on the news last night that the NFL wants to talk with Strong about his "Core Values" program!

They were supposed to meet yesterday while Roger Goddell was already in Austin meeting a Women's group, but then University of Texas reported no meeting has been asked for by the NFL.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Meanwhile the fan base is lighting up and drinking themselves to sleep.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Right now, Charlie Strong is like Major Kong riding the nuclear bomb as it drops on Austin.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Strong is doing some good things but looking at some of his requirements - there was some petty stuff in there imo. I doubt he gets Texas turned around in 3 years as a BIG 12 contender doing things like that.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n62848 said:
Right now, Charlie Strong is like Major Kong riding the nuclear bomb as it drops on Austin.

Major_King_Kong_rides_The_Bomb_in_Dr__Strangelove_themoviewizard-com.jpg

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Well you have to make some things a priority. So are we a football factory which does not really care about our players or are we a university which wants to graduate educated individuals to the extent that their capabilities allow and our standards permit. I take the latter and believe within the large variation allowed we can be successful in both areas. Now every coach must clean out the residuals and most slack off over time. Urban was tough at first and apparently weak near the end. Seems foolish to become weak but many do.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The myth of a student athlete is just that a myth. Either drop scholarships altogether or face the reality. keep your arrests down to a reasonable level but don't go overboard and don't go looking for trouble.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good for him. He's doing the right thing there and sacrificing wins to do it. That's hard to do.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Was listening to 620 wdae yesterday and they were talking about Texas' drug tests doubling to 188 under Charlie Strong so far this year. The host then mentioned that Florida has administered over 400 drug tests so far this year. Thought that was interesting.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n62985 said:
Good for him. He's doing the right thing there and sacrificing wins to do it. That's hard to do.

As I've said before, I'd take a stabbing and a strong armed robbery if we could beat uga and win the east.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Champ may have the players sober but the fans are drinking and smoking themselves into a coma.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n63954 said:
Champ may have the players sober but the fans are drinking and smoking themselves into a coma.

He has Driskel drinking Natty Lite...

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n63954 said:

Now where have I heard this before...?...

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n63842 said:
As I've said before, I'd take a stabbing and a strong armed robbery if we could beat uga and win the east.
That's sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator