Cover songs no one knew were actually cover songs

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I couldn't find a #86 from 95-98, other than Sean Ladd (TE) in 97. Obviously the jersey doesn't have to be from that time frame, but 95 is as far back as my search could go. Where'd you get Gary Rolle from? Note: I see your edit now and where you got it from.
I really think it's #96 though. I looked closely several times as it's very difficult to make out with the bad angles and guitar strap getting in the way, and I thought I saw a small gap in the lower left portion of the 8 or 9, whatever it is, which led me to think it was #96. :dunno:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A lot of groups cut this song, this is the version I remember hearing for the first time. Them with Van Morrison singing. Some people claim Jimmy Page replaced the lead guitar player for this recording.

Old as dirt, the song was made popular by Big Joe Williams in the 30's

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Hank and Roy (original) did this one too (never understood why Willie didn't include the second verse):

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hank and Roy (original) did this one too (never understood why Willie didn't include the second verse):

I been listenin to Willie do this, Always On My Mind (an Elvis cover), and Poncho and Lefty quite a bit lately. Really good stuff

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This doesnt belong in this thread but I'm puttin it here anyway. Really underrated blues by Ronnie and Jeff Carlisi

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A lot of groups cut this song, this is the version I remember hearing for the first time. Them with Van Morrison singing. Some people claim Jimmy Page replaced the lead guitar player for this recording.

Old as dirt, the song was made popular by Big Joe Williams in the 30's

Love Van The Man - own pretty much every CD of his. I had some Them way back in the late 70s on vinyl, but all my vinyl got stolen in the early 80s. MFers!
The story I read wasn't necessarily that Page replaced Them's guitar player, it's just that he was a studio musician at the time and his contributions on the song are not clear.
More from Wiki:
Besides Morrison, there is conflicting information about who participated in the session. In addition to the group's original members (guitarist Billy Harrison, bassist Alan Henderson, drummer Ronnie Millings, and keyboard player Eric Wrixon), others have been suggested: Pat McAuley on keyboards, Bobby Graham on a second drum kit, Jimmy Page on second guitar,[20] and Peter Bardens on keyboards.[21] As Page biographer George Case notes, "There is a dispute over whether it is Page's piercing blues line that defines the song, if he only played a run Harrison had already devised, or if Page only backed up Harrison himself".[22] Morrison has acknowledged Page's participation in the early sessions: "He played rhythm guitar on one thing and doubled a bass riff on the other"[23] and Morrison biographer Johnny Rogan notes that Page "doubled the distinctive riff already worked out by Billy Harrison".[23] Music critic Greil Marcus comments that during the song's quieter middle passage "the guitarist, session player Jimmy Page or not, seems to be feeling his way into another song, flipping half-riffs, high, random, distracted metal shavings".[24][e] Them's blues-rock arrangement is "now regarded justly as definitive", with "much of its appeal emanat[ing] from the tingling lead guitar section", according to music writer Adam Clayson.[26]

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What about covers that you like better than the original?

This is probably blasphemy... but I love this version and it goes back to my love of grunge alternative:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I think this one epitomizes that the sequel is better than the original...(@ 4:07 ...oh yeah baby)

Last edited:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Some more I like better than the original:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I love Nirvana. But I like her version better. Incredible for a loop artist, you should check out her live performances

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.