Cowboy Movies

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cover2, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +6,614 / -9
    Your #8 should be on more lists.

2. g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $112
    Ratings:
    +2,942 / -7
    Clint was great, but the Duke was the greatest.

Who was the redhead in that Shakiest Gun movie?

3. TheDouglas78

TheDouglas78 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $63
    Ratings:
    +3,747 / -28
    I think about exposure, my first Duke moment was Sand of Iwo Jima... So when I think Duke, I think of him in that role not as a Cowboy. My first Eastwood experience was the Outlaw Josey Wales.

4. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $127
    Ratings:
    +2,899 / -1
    I had to cheat, but I believe her name was Barbara Rhoads. Her name is not familiar to me in the context of other movies she might have been in.

Makes sense, Doug. Sgt. Stryker was an imposing figure. As the war movies go, I also enjoyed his role in The Longest Day. I've been a WWII student for a long time and I really like about all of the films of that concern, but he seemed more natural in the saddle fighting either the bad guys or indians.

My first experience with Clint was the Sergio Leone "Spaghetti Westerns," which were good, but the voice dubbing and the weird sounds the pistols made were a little confusing to me. Outside of Josey Wales and The Unforgiven, I always liked Two Mules For Sister Sara.

5. g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $112
    Ratings:
    +2,942 / -7
    Since we're mentioning war movies, Sgt York is my all time favorite

6. MJMGator

MJMGator Slightly amused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $185
    Ratings:
    +11,260 / -94
    It's up there for sure.

7. MJMGator

MJMGator Slightly amused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $185
    Ratings:
    +11,260 / -94
    Django was an entertaining flick.

8. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $127
    Ratings:
    +2,899 / -1
    Both of these movies were on this Saturday. Sons of Katie Elder was on Saturday morning. Put me in a good mood before the game. Silverado on later that evening (GETTV). Hope you guys got to see them!

9. playzwtrux

playzwtrux Wait,... what?

Oxbucks:
    $9
    Ratings:
    +1,101 / -22
    I'm Gen-X so cowboy movies were not really a big interest of mine, but one of my favorites has always been Pale Rider. I'm not sure why, but it's stuck with me. As for quotes: "You shouldn't play with matches... bedlam ensues... There's nothing like a nice piece of hickory."

I have watched a few that I like and really enjoy the NetFlix series Longmire, even though it's not really a Western, just set in the "old" country.
    Unforgiven was a good one, and it's rare that I pass on by when Tombstone is showing.

10. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $127
    Ratings:
    +2,899 / -1
    Pale Rider was pretty good one. Clint was finally starting to show a little age. In a lot of his westerns, seems like a theme or sub-theme was him taking up for the little guy. Who didn't like him beating the crap out of those guys with the ax handle?

[​IMG]

I'm like you, I can't pass by Tombstone without watching it, even if it is for like the 100th time!

[​IMG]

(one of my favorite parts)

11. playzwtrux

playzwtrux Wait,... what?

Oxbucks:
    $9
    Ratings:
    +1,101 / -22
    Tombstone might hold the record for great quotables in a movie. Val, as Doc Holliday, killed it. May have been his best roll ever (certainly better than Batman :rolleyes3: )

12. GMDGator

GMDGator Slick Willie
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $55
    Ratings:
    +1,442 / -77
    Classic... When Billy bob gets slapped around at the farot table that is pretty good too

13. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $127
    Ratings:
    +2,899 / -1
    Classic as well...

14. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $127
    Ratings:
    +2,899 / -1
    I'm wandering out of the westerns here for a minute, but does anyone remember seeing a Charles Bronson film called Death Hunt? Movie was set in the 1930's in Canada. Co-stars were Lee Marvin, Carl Weathers, and Ed Lauter (the guards' captain and QB in the original Longest Yard), with a little Angie Dickinson thrown in. Lot of shootin' and killin,' but if you like action, it's worth watching. Scenery is pretty good, also.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Another good Bronson movie (not a western, either) was Hard Times. Set in depression era New Orleans, Bronson plays a drifter that hooks up with a two-bit hustler (played by James Coburn), who sets him up in a series of street fights to make some money. Lot of good fight action. Also had Strother Martin and Robert Tessier.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. TheDouglas78

TheDouglas78 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $63
    Ratings:
    +3,747 / -28
    I don't agree with the #1, but at least they give reasoning behind their picks.

#55 TheDouglas78, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  16. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $127
    Ratings:
    +2,899 / -1
    I was ok until #1 and # 2. I think the dope kicked in at that point. Red Sun with Charles Bronson was referenced and I always liked it (Cowboys and martial arts together, what's not to like?), but not a top 10.

17. ufgator812

ufgator812 Duke of Marlborough
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $121
    Ratings:
    +3,857 / -20
    Not only did Chuck Connors play baseball, he played basketball with the Celtics, and was drafted into the NFL...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Connors

18. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $127
    Ratings:
    +2,899 / -1
    He was quite the athlete and at 6'6" was a giant back in his day. One of the channels on Dish is showing some reruns from another western serial he was in...Branded. Used to watch this a lot as a kid.

19. stephenPE

stephenPE Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $80
    Ratings:
    +4,143 / -187
    from memory.............Branded..scorned as the one who ran........what do you do when you're branded and you know
    you're man. Once I saw him on the Mike Douglas Show and they showed bloopers from the show.

20. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $127
    Ratings:
    +2,899 / -1
    You got it! Only edit would be "Marked" as the one who ran. Carried his broken saber that his CO broke over his knee after pulling his bars off the shoulders of his uniform. We watched this on Saturdays at some point when I was young. Monday nights were big western night on CBS starting with Tales of Wells Fargo with host Dale Robertson at 7:00 right after the evening news. It was followed by Wanted Dead or Alive with Steve McQueen as bounty hunter Josh Randall. Then, the big one...Gunsmoke! Best TV night of the week. We also watched The Virginian on Wednesday I think.