Credit Card Fraud Update: Smith and Telfort Gone

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
they are not being charged with a criminal act by the police

I never said that they wouldn't. I said in the original argument that the 7 players involved have not be charged

Your first statement is present/future tense and a definitive one. "They are not being charged." That literally means it will not happen and is presented as a statement of fact.

So yea, you did state they wouldn't be, and no, you didn't simply state that at the present time they haven't. Just stop.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Your first statement is present/future tense and a definitive one. "They are not being charged." That literally means it will not happen and is presented as a statement of fact.

So yea, you did state they wouldn't be, and no, you didn't simply state that at the present time they haven't. Just stop.

quit stealing time.. Durty

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
It is accurate that they are suspended from all activities. it doesn't square with the assertion that they did was nothing, does it?

It is debatable whether or not 6 tds is an essential contributor. I would argue it's a pretty minimal contributor.

I hope I didn't imply that their offenses were minor. I'm not in the "what they did was no big deal" camp.

Perhaps I should have referred to Callaway and Scarlett as the leading contributors at their positions rather than "essential", eh?

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016

So why hasn't the UPD charged all 7 with fraud when they charged Smith, wouldn't they have enough evidence to charge all 7 if they had enough to charge Smith? Just wondering....

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
So why hasn't the UPD charged all 7 with fraud when they charged Smith, wouldn't they have enough evidence to charge all 7 if they had enough to charge Smith? Just wondering....
I dunno, perhaps the statement that the UPD case is complicated and still ongoing might have something to do with that. On second thought... nahhhh... I'll just take your word for it. You seem really plugged in, probably slept in a Holiday Inn Express too.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
but they were able to buy plenty of electronics with them, and then defraud the university...
I'm not saying they hadn't defrauded the university. they did. So its up to the University Administration to pass down judgement, not the UPD/GPD on these 7 players.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not saying they hadn't defrauded the university. they did. So its up to the University Administration to pass down judgement, not the UPD/GPD on these 7 players.
Because the police investigate things just for favors to local schools, and not because they are pursuing potential criminal cases... :facepalm:

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
I dunno, perhaps the statement that the UPD case is complicated and still ongoing might have something to do with that. On second thought... nahhhh... I'll just take your word for it. You seem really plugged in, probably slept in a Holiday Inn Express too.
ha ha ha no. just common sense. and I know banking/credit fraud. I'm sure the investigation is ongoing and complicated because the 7 didn't criminally defraud anyone but the university book store, which I'm sure is owned by the university that pays them their stipend that they tried get more of my filing a false claim of ID being lost. So its up to the university to press criminal charges against these 7 if they chose to do so.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
ITS NOT A DEBIT CARD!!! IS THEIR FN ID!!!! Their ID has a balance from their scholarship stipend. They cant go pay rent or shop at best buy with their IDs like you can with a normal debit/credit card, LIKE SMITH TRY TO DO! Hence him being CRIMINALLY CHARGED with fraud.
Absolutely not what I have been told and not what is being reported elsewhere. One kid using his card to pay rent isnt all this is. Your assertion that it isnt a debit card issued by visa isnt really a defense. "It is just a card linked to a bank account" is exactly the definition of a debit card.

Even if this were true and if the kids didnt deny the credit/debit card transactions-- again exactly the opposite of what the police are investigating-- it is still amassive extra benefit NCAA problem many times the size of Sharif Floyd's bake sale problem.

Your belief that it will just be a university thing is silly.

Will they do time? Of course not. Will they even be offered misdemeanors or diversions? Likely.

However trying to act like this is nothing makes us look desperate.

Last edited:

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Absolutely not what I have been told and not what is being reported elsewhere. One kid using his card to pay rent

Even if this were true and if the kids didnt deny the credit/debit card transactions-- again exactly the opposite of what the police are investigating-- it is still amassive extra benefit NCAA problem.

Your belief that it will just be a university thing is silly.

Will they do time? Of course not. Will they even be offered misdemeanors or diversions? Likely.

However trying to act like this is nothing makes us look desperate.
Only one player has been officially charged with criminal fraud. Smith. has he tried to pay rent with his ID at his apartment complex. I never condone these guys action, I actually have stated that they should lose their scholarships and earn them just like a walkon would have to. But people are not grasping the difference between a criminal act that is under the jurisdiction of the GPD/UPD, and students defrauding the bookstore for headphones and ipads. the book store is under university control I'm sure, and its up to them to press criminal charges, like the apartment complex did against Smith, for fraud.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Do you press criminal charges against co workers who take sodas and candy bars from the office snack area without paying?? or do you just make them pay it back? They stole. If they did this a gas station they would be arrested for shop lifting. what's the difference?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Going back 20 yrs, the Gator1 ID card was capable of being linked to a Barnett Bank account. Things have certainly changed, but I doubt UF is capable or wanting to handle the volume of financial transactions associated with the IDs. So it's fairly safe to assume that a third party is managing these purchases. So in effect, the ID doubles as a debit card. The underlying cash may be an asset of UF, but the third party that handles the actual transaction may have a say in things as well.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Going back 20 yrs, the Gator1 ID card was capable of being linked to a Barnett Bank account. Things have certainly changed, but I doubt UF is capable or wanting to handle the volume of financial transactions associated with the IDs. So it's fairly safe to assume that a third party is managing these purchases. So in effect, the ID doubles as a debit card. The underlying cash may be an asset of UF, but the third party that handles the actual transaction may have a say in things as well.
So you are sayin that the new Student ID has a bank associated with it, and it has a VISA/MASTERCARD hologram or chip? These cards work like prison IDs where you can go to the prison commissary and get snacks/toothpaste, esc. You can put money on these accounts, that are controlled by the DOC. They are not associated with a bank, just the DOC. I'm sure other students have accounts on their IDs that they can buy goods, etc. with at UNIVERSITY CONTROLLED shops/areas/vending machines.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Do you press criminal charges against co workers who take sodas and candy bars from the office snack area without paying?? or do you just make them pay it back? They stole. If they did this a gas station they would be arrested for shop lifting. what's the difference?
If you want to verify if someone was charged, just go to the Alachua County clerk of courts and do the court search.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So you are sayin that the new Student ID has a bank associated with it, and it has a VISA/MASTERCARD hologram or chip? These cards work like prison IDs where you can go to the prison commissary and get snacks/toothpaste, esc. You can put money on these accounts, that are controlled by the DOC. They are not associated with a bank, just the DOC. I'm sure other students have accounts on their IDs that they can buy goods, etc. with at UNIVERSITY CONTROLLED shops/areas/vending machines.

The Bank Associated to the Gator 1 card appears to be Wells Fargo.

https://www.bsd.ufl.edu/G1C/vending/open_account.asp

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You may be right, but a third party probably handles those transactions. What I'm saying is that even if everything you say is true, someone has to handle the electronic transaction and it's very unlikely that UF would do that. So if the 3rd party wanted to muddy things they could, but why risk the relationship with UF.

The main point being is that through all the purchases and reporting, other people were involved. It wasn't just UF and the players. Heck, someone paid rent with it right? So, while no one may care so long as they were made whole, they could muddy the waters if they wanted to.

Not trying to argue with you about it. I think it's fairly petty and shouldn't be dragged out. However, people muck things up just trying to get a little bit more than they deserve. Could be what's happening is that third parties are messing things up? It wouldn't be as complicated of a case if it was purely two parties that are on the same page.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
No, listen closely; Smith used stolen credit card information to pay his rent online. This was flagged by the property management company because the name on the credit card information did not match Smith's. Please stop spreading false information.
You are correct.

Florida Gators redshirt freshman Jordan Smith is being investigated for improper use/fraudulent use of a credit card and Grand Theft, Gator Country has learned.

Sources have told Gator Country that in July Smith made a payment of $1,007.55 to The Woodlands of Gainesville, an apartment complex near campus for “rent and other charges.” Smith made the payment online, through the Woodlands’ portal system using a credit card that was not in his name. On August 11, the Scion Group — the Chicago based company that owns the apartment complex — was given notice that the charges Smith made had been reported as fraudulent or not recognized by the card holder and that the money would be taken out and returned.

This is why Smith and only Smith was questioned/investigated. Then I ASSUME, he snitched on the others for getting his actual CRIMINAL charges dropped or reduced. AGAIN SPECULATION ON MY PART using common sense, reason and logic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.