Cristobal leaving Bama?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
A possible way of looking at this Cristobal thing = A coach does a great job at Alabama making
his module of the team work well, but Saban gets so much of the credit that others' notice gets diminished? You know, the idea that anybody can be good in Sabin's system?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't get too spun up either way over saban assistants coming here. They always have lots of hype, but once they leave Saban most of them grossly disappoint. All of us should have learned this lesson by now.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't get too spun up either way over saban assistants coming here. They always have lots of hype, but once they leave bama most of them grossly disappoint. All of us should have learned this lesson by now.

And it makes sense. Did you read what Lane said about working for him?

"So this morning, after the 7:30 staff meeting, before this, we watched the offensive film of practice yesterday," Kiffin said. "And I'd never done that with a coach. I'd never watched the offensive, you know, scout team with the head coach when the head coach is a defensive guy, like coach (Pete) Carroll. So when I got here, that was new. And I was thinking, okay, this is just Coach. He doesn't know me so he wants to understand the game plan, how practice is going, he wants to see the players. And then if we start doing well on offense, he'll back off and he just doesn't -- you know, he just doesn't come in for that meeting and he stays more on defense.

"But today is no different than the first day. Even after all the success we've had. Again, there's the process. He never changes."

The people are successful because their talent is maximized by Saban. He squeezes everything he can out of everybody from the staff to the players. Once they leave the rigidity of the Bama program...they lose something.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't get too spun up either way over saban assistants coming here. They always have lots of hype, but once they leave bama most of them grossly disappoint. All of us should have learned this lesson by now.
Maybe, but Locksley and Cristobal have always been good recruiters

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
And it makes sense. Did you read what Lane said about working for him?

"So this morning, after the 7:30 staff meeting, before this, we watched the offensive film of practice yesterday," Kiffin said. "And I'd never done that with a coach. I'd never watched the offensive, you know, scout team with the head coach when the head coach is a defensive guy, like coach (Pete) Carroll. So when I got here, that was new. And I was thinking, okay, this is just Coach. He doesn't know me so he wants to understand the game plan, how practice is going, he wants to see the players. And then if we start doing well on offense, he'll back off and he just doesn't -- you know, he just doesn't come in for that meeting and he stays more on defense.

"But today is no different than the first day. Even after all the success we've had. Again, there's the process. He never changes."

The people are successful because their talent is maximized by Saban. He squeezes everything he can out of everybody from the staff to the players. Once they leave the rigidity of the Bama program...they lose something.
Wow, that really puts it into perspective and provides a reason for why such high success for guys with him and such disappointment without. Just as we all have suspected, its mostly about him b/c he's got his hand on every single thing.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
So should we not expect to hear anything concrete on these two guys until after the national title game?

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Man...a couple of guys I grew up with and played ball with (in Pensacola and Crestview area both are HS coaches now) say that this kid is just actually scared of the Bama staff and they basically run his life for him. They say he really likes UF but the people around him are constantly in his ear pushing him to Bama. It's a damn shame that these kids can't make their own decisions anymore. Smh!!!

If this is true, it is a bit scary but I have a hard time believing that he is being pressured by anyone other than possibly family members that need the money. They all asked Santa for a bagman for Christmas.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Let me see his options are Oregon, stay at Bama , or come to us.
Oregon and Bama will write him a blank check and we will probably offer him a book of coupons. He ain't coming here. If you ain't willing to spend lots of money in today's college football, it's hard to be elite. Fsu has the " do and spend whatever it takes to win attitude " that lacks at Florida. I'm afraid that they will be dominating us for many, many years to come. But hey at least we got women's softball and gymnastics.

AND we have our high academic standards that seem to make some people feel better. Mercenaries don't care about academics. College football is a business for mercenaries now.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Man...a couple of guys I grew up with and played ball with (in Pensacola and Crestview area both are HS coaches now) say that this kid is just actually scared of the Bama staff and they basically run his life for him. They say he really likes UF but the people around him are constantly in his ear pushing him to Bama. It's a damn shame that these kids can't make their own decisions anymore. Smh!!!
I have a very good friend who grew up in Pensacola and after Spurrier UF seemed to stop recruiting the area hard. He tells me the sports page in Pensacola is Bama front page, halF asS U second page and UF is third or fourth page in the sports section.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
AND we have our high academic standards that seem to make some people feel better. Mercenaries don't care about academics. College football is a business for mercenaries now.

If so and it might be correct we will never be as successful as some here desire. As an actual alumni I am fine with that. Now I might consider how stanford, penn state, and other highly ranked academic schools make it work. Now for penn state they have a loyal crew of potential players which I wished we had, some even stayed through a very damaging process that they had nothing to do with.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Wow, that really puts it into perspective and provides a reason for why such high success for guys with him and such disappointment without. Just as we all have suspected, its mostly about him b/c he's got his hand on every single thing.

Yes Saban personally probably out works three normal people, and he has that famous process to boot.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/09/10/how-alabamas-nick-saban-so-successful-recruiting-trail

Note he is nothing without his players, this is correct and he has large advantages in getting the ones he wants.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Lots of smoke that Cristobal is heading to Oregon. I hope that it is "just smoke" but it's looking like they have offered him big money and UF wasn't willing to match or beat the offer as usual. He and Locksley would have gave us a hell of a staff so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed until mid-week.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Lots of smoke that Cristobal is heading to Oregon. I hope that it is "just smoke" but it's looking like they have offered him big money and UF wasn't willing to match or beat the offer as usual. He and Locksley would have gave us a hell of a staff so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed until mid-week.

If true, would be par for the course.

Then again, we could land the Eagles guy which would make things better. Can't wait til (if) we start making moves.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014

Then again, we could land the Eagles guy which would make things better. Can't wait til (if) we start making moves.
Cristobal is an elite recruiter and that's the only reason I would put him on top of the list. Stoutland is a great coach but he's getting old and i would prefer a younger guy who can relate to these kids better. Either one is a huge upgrade to Summers though so I'm not going to b*tch either way.

I'm hearing we'll start making moves this week. Also hearing we're in good shape for Locksley.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My understanding was that they wanted both Cristobal and Stoudland. They would replace Summers and Nord. Then Skipper to defense and Locksley as RB coach. Good in theory but we're cheap

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

If we're getting the Eagles guy, why wouldn't we have already announced it? The Eagles are done for the year just like we are. Is he basically plan B if Cristobal goes to Oregon?

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
My understanding was that they wanted both Cristobal and Stoudland. They would replace Summers and Nord. Then Skipper to defense and Locksley as RB coach. Good in theory but we're cheap
Man...I'd be happy as hell if that happened! Hopefully we know something by the end of the week.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
If we're getting the Eagles guy, why wouldn't we have already announced it? The Eagles are done for the year just like we are. Is he basically plan B if Cristobal goes to Oregon?

:dunno:

Let's hope so. Would hate to slow play Eagles guy to be left with Summers in the end.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
How can you call anyone an "elite recruiter" at Bama? Everyone looks like a great recruiter there. It's a powerhouse, dynasty program.

Someone with an IQ of less than 50 could recruit there all day long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.