Cutting the cord?

Discussion in 'Home, Auto, and Computer Tech' started by Zambo, Aug 6, 2017.

1. GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
    $280
    Ratings:
    +8,001 / -45
    I'll tell you whatvkills you. It's not the cable packages. It's the DVR. Renting the DVR across multiple rooms adds like 35 or $40 to final bill.

2. URGatorBait

URGatorBait Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $47
    Ratings:
    +10,106 / -161
    We had a single DVR, though it was enhanced DVR, not multi room.
    Problem is, you need a box for every tv you want to use, that adds up also.
    We could have downgraded the DVR, we still needed a DVR to appease the wife. PS Vue answers that along with most of the other need/wants.

I am just glad to see so much competition. Now it looks like Verizon and Amazon are trying to get in on it too. Each is pushing the other to provide more for the dollar, and options are good :thumbup:

3. URGatorBait

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $47
    Ratings:
    +10,106 / -161
  4. Gatormac2112

Gatormac2112 The Voice of Reason
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $19
    Ratings:
    +736 / -0
    I dropped DirecTV about 20 months ago. We just weren't watching anything and paying $150+ per month was ridiculous. I've done the $20 sling package and that worked for us, but I hated the UI/interface. It was very clunky. I've been using DirecTV Now for $35 per month, still not perfect, but better than sling IMO. I use an OTA antenna for locals.

Either way, I haven't missed the cable/satellite one bit.

5. grengadgy

grengadgy Flat-Earther
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $2
    Ratings:
    +1,820 / -20
    Sling TV has added a Guide on Roku.
    [​IMG]

6. Gatormac2112

Gatormac2112 The Voice of Reason
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $19
    Ratings:
    +736 / -0
    Good to know! I'm sure I haven't changed services for the last time :)

7. Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $18
    Ratings:
    +7,078 / -21
    Man I finally pulled the trigger and switched from ATT Uverse to Cox cable. I went from internet speed of 14 down and 2 up to about 320 down and 35 up! Holy crap what a difference.

If I can get this type speed dependably I see no reason why I couldn't just get Directv Now, or the YouTube deal and just pay 35 bucks a month for all the channels. The ATT guy knew I was gonna switch when I was talking to him about my internet speed in the store and he offered me the Directv Now subscription for half price. That is 35 bucks for pretty much every channel they have.

8. URGatorBait

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $47
    Ratings:
    +10,106 / -161
    For a solid 1080 res stream, 10 mbps is sufficient per streaming device. You may never really need over 300 mbps, however the large buffer is nice, especially for times of having lots of devices on at the same time, or at peak times during the day.

Take a look at all the streaming services, as they all offer a little something different from the next, but they are all constantly competing with each other and either adding features or improving their offerings or lineups.

This site is great for keeping up with the latest goings on in the cord cutter news department
    http://cordcuttersnews.com/

9. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Stop steaming up my tail!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,067
    Ratings:
    +24,001 / -488
    The problem I see with your math is that you are going to pay for the internet ANYWAY, right?

10. GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
    $280
    Ratings:
    +8,001 / -45
    Correct. The $145 includes the internet. I use Frontier FIOS

11. NVGator

NVGator Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $109
    Ratings:
    +3,928 / -71
  12. TheDouglas78

TheDouglas78 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $63
    Ratings:
    +3,747 / -28
    I picked up around 74 channels with my OTA, and a lot of them are the sub channels, like I have 8 CBS channels, only one is the main CBS, 4 Fox channels, only one being Fox 13, etc...

13. Jbossgator8

Jbossgator8 Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $37
    Ratings:
    +1,122 / -67
    So is it too much trouble to switch out of Spectrum to something else? Our HOA has an agreement with Spectrum so I don't think we can drop them all together

14. grengadgy

grengadgy Flat-Earther
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $2
    Ratings:
    +1,820 / -20
  15. g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $112
    Ratings:
    +2,942 / -7
  16. URGatorBait

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $47
    Ratings:
    +10,106 / -161

I purchased this 1byOne 50 mile amplified indoor OTA antenna, it's only $23.99 and it solved all my previous reception issues. I had a problem getting NBC with the cheapy OTA antenna I had, borrowed a Mohu antenna which was twice the cost of the 1byOne antenna, and it too failed to get NBC. The 1byOne antenna gets it perfectly, and also pics up ION channel, which neither of the others did in the location I have the antenna in.
    I'd say this is one of the better ones on the market, especially at a low price, as far as indoor OTA antennas go.
    Turn off your adblocker if the link doesn't appear...amazon links can be tricky.

17. -THE DUDE-

-THE DUDE- This is the year!!!

Oxbucks:
    $81
    Ratings:
    +2,557 / -9
    I've got PS Vue and have had it for over a year now... it's great and I'm never going back. They are getting done local channels but i use an antenna for locals because the picture is better...hd antenna have better hd than even cable or dish and i got mine for like $5

18. Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $65
    Ratings:
    +6,614 / -9