Gator Baseball CWS 2018: Can the Gators go "Back to Back?"

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

Very good read and I think it supports my view regarding the timing of the MLB draft. I had thought that in recent years the draft was during the CWS, and the 8 coaches would complain and moan. I understood that moaning but did not share their view. So this year the draft occurred during the regionals and lo and behold, the coaches again moaned and complained. I get their argument, but I happen to disagree for this reason. I attend most of the Gator home games so I know the names, but for the most part the games barely draw flies. Outside of a few venues in the country (SEC mainly) most college baseball games are played in empty stadiums. so any news or buzz created by the draft can only help the sport even if the coaches do not like it or the players think there is pressure. Just from that article I think it helped the TV ratings. At Game 1 of the Supers, (which was disappointing attendance wise, IMO) I had a guy say to me that he was surprised that he walked up to the ticket box at game time and easily got in to see Mize and Singer pitch. So I say any buzz (other than the police blotter) that your sport can muster is good for the game!

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Very good read and I think it supports my view regarding the timing of the MLB draft. I had thought that in recent years the draft was during the CWS, and the 8 coaches would complain and moan. I understood that moaning but did not share their view. So this year the draft occurred during the regionals and lo and behold, the coaches again moaned and complained. I get their argument, but I happen to disagree for this reason. I attend most of the Gator home games so I know the names, but for the most part the games barely draw flies. Outside of a few venues in the country (SEC mainly) most college baseball games are played in empty stadiums. so any news or buzz created by the draft can only help the sport even if the coaches do not like it or the players think there is pressure. Just from that article I think it helped the TV ratings. At Game 1 of the Supers, (which was disappointing attendance wise, IMO) I had a guy say to me that he was surprised that he walked up to the ticket box at game time and easily got in to see Mize and Singer pitch. So I say any buzz (other than the police blotter) that your sport can muster is good for the game!
I, too, was surprised at the attendance at that game. Probably be paying major league prices to see either of them pitch before long.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
UNC takes Game 1 over OSU 8-6. The UNC starter had a dead arm and was out after about 15 pitches. OSU starter Heimlich did not show his 15-1 regular season record stuff and got behind 6-1 before OSU chipped away. Good game but very long thus delaying the start of game 2.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It is a shame all this rain happening with all the sacrifices the fans make to get to Omaha!

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It is a shame all this rain happening with all the sacrifices the fans make to get to Omaha!

MSU fan quote:
‘My wife’s boyfriend sold his prosthetic leg on Craig’s List to afford me the opportunity to come to Omaha’.
:lmao2:

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Arkansas beat Texas Tech today 7-4. So it's the Gators vs. TT again Thursday night at 8 in an elimination game. We need to win that one, then beat Arkansas twice to get to the championship series. Doable, but very tough. Pitching will need to be stellar.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Arkansas beat Texas Tech today 7-4. So it's the Gators vs. TT again Thursday night at 8 in an elimination game. We need to win that one, then beat Arkansas twice to get to the championship series. Doable, but very tough. Pitching will need to be stellar.

Pitching? Defense, batting, and base running need to be stellar.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Why are we the away team in this game? It makes no sense to me that were the #1 seed yet 2/3 games we are gonna the away team. Imo if you go to the losers bracket top seed should alway be home team. They earned it during the regular season.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Why are we the away team in this game? It makes no sense to me that were the #1 seed yet 2/3 games we are gonna the away team. Imo if you go to the losers bracket top seed should alway be home team. They earned it during the regular season.
We lost first, just how it goes.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I seem to remember that recently the CWS had the losers bracket winners play the 2-0 teams from the other half of the bracket. So OSU would play Arky, and the winner of UF/TTU would get Miss St.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Life came at UNC fast last night. With five outs to go, they were winning 6-3, and they ended up losing 11-6. Ouch. We're officially in the top 5! :dance:

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I seem to remember that recently the CWS had the losers bracket winners play the 2-0 teams from the other half of the bracket. So OSU would play Arky, and the winner of UF/TTU would get Miss St.
Pretty sure they only do that cross bracket thing in the softball world series, not baseball.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
At least we got to the Top 5 this year. Sully has made us a Top 5 program Nationally. Before him we were borderline Top 25. Sully has consistently gotten us to the CWS. That is where you want to be as a program. Go Gators!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.