Gator Baseball CWS: Gators vs Texas Tech - time for some revenge

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Great job in the 8th! Put their asses down by 5 again. Let them do the finger chomp now.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Well not sure we can say Butler put out the fire LOL but he struck out a guy on clearly ball 4 and got the 3rd out on a screaming line drive to RF after falling behind 3-0 with bases loaded. I just can't understand why these guys can't throw strikes with a big lead. they have been pitching all season. Sans Mace, he did throw strikes.

But again Sully sticks with his guy and lets him work out of a nightmare. His management of this game gives them more options for the rest of the series.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
After butchering the bottom of the 7th inning with defense and pitching and turning a 5 run lead into a 2 run lead, we have regained the 5 run lead and it started with something very rare. Dalton lead off the 8th with a double. JJ moved him to 3rd with a groundout to the right side and Langworthy drove Dalton home with a SAC fly. Perfect situational baseball finally. Reese then doubled, Matt Damon tripled off the CF wall (that was a blast) and Horvath singled. An excellent answer after putting on that Bad News Bears performance in the bottom of the 7th inning!!!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
But again Sully sticks with his guy and lets him work out of a nightmare. His management of this game gives them more options for the rest of the series.

Agreed, There is not right or wrong answer, but I lean toward the Kyle Peterson argument. if you can get out of the 7th with giving up 0 or 1 run by using Byrne there, then if you score more you can take Byrne out with maybe only 8 or 10 pitches. Sure it has worked out now, but you have to play it as it is happening. Sully had his plan and he stuck with it good or bad.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Hunter McMullen gets his chance with a 5 run lead and walks 2 guys, gives up 2 hits and gets 2 outs. He gives up a run, leaves the bases loaded with the tying run at the plate so Sully now has to go to Byrne. Throwing strikes seems to be very difficult for most of the relieves on the team with a big lead!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Byrne hangs an awful curve for a single that scors 2. 8-6 2 on 2 out for TTEch.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Flyout to CF. 8-6 headed to the 9th. what could have set up as good as possible for us has turned into a bad scenario provided we can hang on. Dyson might have to pitch tonite, LOL Oh wait, we still have Langworthy and Horvath who have pitched in the past, LOL

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Top of 9th, 8-6 lead. We would have been better off by leaving our starting pitcher in. Can't separate from these guys - yet. We need some 9th inning performance.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
After butchering the bottom of the 7th inning with defense and pitching and turning a 5 run lead into a 2 run lead, we have regained the 5 run lead and it started with something very rare. Dalton lead off the 8th with a double. JJ moved him to 3rd with a groundout to the right side and Langworthy drove Dalton home with a SAC fly. Perfect situational baseball finally. Reese then doubled, Matt Damon tripled off the CF wall (that was a blast) and Horvath singled. An excellent answer after putting on that Bad News Bears performance in the bottom of the 7th inning!!!

Lo and behold, the Bad News Bears just keep showing up. It’s really frustrating.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
It is now!

But I get your point. Those runs put us in danger.

I hope those experiences help the freshmen step up next year.

I’m glad it’s over, too, but the reality is Sully and the team made this waaay more difficult than it needed to be. Sully strikes me as a guy who could complicate a wet dream!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Gators win 9-6 and I just can't bring myself to recap what actually happened, so let's move on to having to beat ARK 2 games in a row now. B/C of that I think you have to go with Singer. He will be on 4+ days of rest and ARK can really hit and this is the CWS. Singer had some downtime late in the year so I think he will be fine. However I will present one other option, as food for thought only. Since Mace only faced 2 hitters tonite, possibly start him and see if you can catch lightning in a bottle for 5 or so innings, perhaps the bats get hot and then maybe piece the last half of the game together (did not work tonite tho). If Mace does not have it immediately you can still have Singer ready from the get go. I doubt that will be the way they go I was just putting it out there.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
3 of 4 teams left are SEC. We can do this. We know these guys. Gators are starting to wake up!

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gators win 9-6 and I just can't bring myself to recap what actually happened, so let's move on to having to beat ARK 2 games in a row now. B/C of that I think you have to go with Singer. He will be on 4+ days of rest and ARK can really hit and this is the CWS. Singer had some downtime late in the year so I think he will be fine. However I will present one other option, as food for thought only. Since Mace only faced 2 hitters tonite, possibly start him and see if you can catch lightning in a bottle for 5 or so innings, perhaps the bats get hot and then maybe piece the last half of the game together (did not work tonite tho). If Mace does not have it immediately you can still have Singer ready from the get go. I doubt that will be the way they go I was just putting it out there.

Singer needs to go so he can get enough rest to pitch again Tuesday or Wednesday

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.