Gator Baseball CWS Semis: Gators bow out

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Saw this on another board regarding our recruit class:

We lost a load of players to the draft, and top players at that.

1] Vandy - 19 commits - 7 Top 100 - 9.37 average
2] LSU - 16 commits - 6 Top 100 - 9.19 average
3] Tennessee - 23 commits - 2 Top 100 - 5.13 average
4] Miss. State - 13 commits - 4 Top 100 - 8.62 average
5] FIU - 23 commits - 2 Top 100 - 4.87 average
6] Clemson - 15 commits - 3 Top 100 - 7.13 average
7] Texas A&M - 16 commits - 4 Top 100 - 6.56 average
8] Louisville - 15 commits - 2 Top 100 - 6.87 average
9] Arkansas - 23 commits - 0 Top 100 - 4.43 average
10] Texas - 18 commits - 1 Top 100 - 5.61 average
11] Florida - 10 commits - 3 Top 100 - 10.00 average

I believe we got 2-3 Jucos as well. It would make sense given we lost a good deal of guys (high school and college) to the draft. We still ended with the best average among the classes, but the number of recruits we're bringing in for the class hurt us.

This is the class (for now), Denaburg likely signs w/ Washington:

Cory Acton - 1st team All-USA - 3B (probably 3B or 2B) - throws right, but bats left - 10
Kendrick Calilao - OF - righty - 10
Kristopher Armstrong - switch-pitcher but is expected to field rather than pitch for us - predominant righty - 10
Mason Denaburg - 1st round pick by the Nationals - RHP - 10
David Luethje - RHP - 10
Robert Pena - 3B - righty - 10
Nick Pogue - RHP - 10
Christian Scott - RHP - 10
Benjamin Specht - RHP - 9.5
Jacob Young - OF - righty - 9

Thanks for this information, it's pretty tough to find anything about baseball recruiting. With Sully only having 14 commitments to begin with, losing almost 30% to the draft is a big blow, but what I would really point out is he lost a load of talent: 3 in the first round and 1 in the second. He obviously knew that, going into the recruitment of these kids with the knowledge of their potential draft position, so is this a case of basically taking a " just in case" position in the event they don't sign for some bizarre reason? I know they have to walk a fine line in that regard as far as total numbers. I haven't looked at numbers on the Gators roster so I don't know if 9 commits (I'm not going to count Denaburg) puts them at a full roster but dang, some of these teams basically recruited two entire teams!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks for this information, it's pretty tough to find anything about baseball recruiting. With Sully only having 14 commitments to begin with, losing almost 30% to the draft is a big blow, but what I would really point out is he lost a load of talent: 3 in the first round and 1 in the second. He obviously knew that, going into the recruitment of these kids with the knowledge of their potential draft position, so is this a case of basically taking a " just in case" position in the event they don't sign for some bizarre reason? I know they have to walk a fine line in that regard as far as total numbers. I haven't looked at numbers on the Gators roster so I don't know if 9 commits (I'm not going to count Denaburg) puts them at a full roster but dang, some of these teams basically recruited two entire teams!

He probably adds a JUCO or two and possibly a transfer (they don't have to sit out a year in college baseball like football & basketball).

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
He probably adds a JUCO or two and possibly a transfer (they don't have to sit out a year in college baseball like football & basketball).

What site do you visit for this info? I look at Perfect Game but it's just a list of recruits.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I bet all three of them called it as they all had a chance at it running full tilt to get there. In that case, and with a NC on the line, it was anything but routine. You guys act like you would have caught it.
:lmao2:
I thought no one called it. Check me here: if the RF knew he could catch it, he should've called. Not hearing from the RF, the 2nd baseman should call if he can catch it. Finally, the first baseman had the worst angle, but could have made the catch if left alone.
Also, did the rf get a late start and hesitate as he neared the ball? Finally, what was up with the 2nd baseman who knocked the 1st baseman off the ball and overran it ten feet?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Okay, after thinking about it, it would have been caught if it was just one of those guys chasing it down. Routine. But add in all three, one who misjudged it, and bad stuff can happen.
I’m actually cheering for the Beavers for two reasons:
1. I know it’s good to support the SEC, but I don’t give two schists for Arky, and the SEC proved its mettle by putting three in the semifinals.
2. My old roommate at UF is a Geology professor at OSU. Dr. Joe Stoner. I kid you not.
:bandit:
Hope you don't think you are the only one whose college roommate was a stoner.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
One UN-caught pop foul and 2 nites later you are crowned runner-up!. Reality Bites!

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I thought no one called it. Check me here: if the RF knew he could catch it, he should've called. Not hearing from the RF, the 2nd baseman should call if he can catch it. Finally, the first baseman had the worst angle, but could have made the catch if left alone.
Also, did the rf get a late start and hesitate as he neared the ball? Finally, what was up with the 2nd baseman who knocked the 1st baseman off the ball and overran it ten feet?
The Arky boards are coming down on the 2nd baseman, they are saying he was calling for the ball as soon as it left the bat.
A good general rule is for an infielder to not call for the ball until he is under it, then your outfielder doesn't pull up like the right fielder seems to do on that play.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hope you don't think you are the only one whose college roommate was a stoner.

Nope, but his name alone, especially being in geology, was hilarious. Imagine taking a geology class with Dr. Joe Stoner as your prof.
:lol:

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The Arky boards are coming down on the 2nd baseman, they are saying he was calling for the ball as soon as it left the bat.
A good general rule is for an infielder to not call for the ball until he is under it, then your outfielder doesn't pull up like the right fielder seems to do on that play.

I agree, that should have been handled by the RF. And that second baseman really was the issue.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Is Mason Denaburg signing with the Nationals or coming to UF? I noticed he hasn't signed yet. I know nothing about signing baseball draft picks. I assumed he was going pro with a few million on the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.