Gator Baseball CWS: UF whips Texas 6-1

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
For the elderly on here who remember it appears that Walter Matthau in the role of "Buttermaker" brought his Bad News Bears sponsored by Chicos Bail Bonds to the park last nite with Liput starring in the role of "Tanner" at SS. JJ in the role of "Rudy Stein" at 1B and Girand as "Engelbert" at Catcher. Unless Tatum O'Neill as "Amanda" shows up on the mound Tuesday and Kelly Leak rides in on his motorcycle to be the hitting star, this team will be eliminated by the other team from Texas on Tuesday. Losing is going to happen. but looking like that on that stage wit all the experience you have is quite another. I can hope for the best but the eyeball test does not look pretty.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
For the elderly on here who remember it appears that Walter Matthau in the role of "Buttermaker" brought his Bad News Bears sponsored by Chicos Bail Bonds to the park last nite with Liput starring in the role of "Tanner" at SS. JJ in the role of "Rudy Stein" at 1B and Girand as "Engelbert" at Catcher. Unless Tatum O'Neill as "Amanda" shows up on the mound Tuesday and Kelly Leak rides in on his motorcycle to be the hitting star, this team will be eliminated by the other team from Texas on Tuesday. Losing is going to happen. but looking like that on that stage wit all the experience you have is quite another. I can hope for the best but the eyeball test does not look pretty.
They appear to have peaked too early. Last night was a reflection of how they've played the last 1/3 of the season.

macNCheeseB

Mar 1, 2016
Man, I hate watching us at bat. It is ridiculous that you know that the Gators are not going to even swing at the first two pitches. That strategy kills me everytime.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
As stated above, we looked like the Bad News Bears last night. They better get it together or we’ll be 2 and done.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
They appear to have peaked too early. Last night was a reflection of how they've played the last 1/3 of the season.

Looks just like we're cracking under the strain of cracking under the strain ??
Coaches couldn't pre-tell JJ wasn't JJ ?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So tired of losing to Texas Tech. We better at least beat down the Longhorns!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thought the same thing while watching the regional games. Not sure we have the clubhouse leadership that we enjoyed last year even though many of the cast of characters are still there. Missing a personality like Faedo maybe?

Agree with many of the comments about our batting. JJ looked pretty rusty at the plate (and in the field) and unfortunately we are batting with eight while Girand is in the nine hole. Defense, which was a huge strength during much of the season, has been inconsistent lately and sure bit us last evening. At this point, I'm more interested in how we respond in the next game than whether or not we can storm out of the loser's bracket. Talent-wise, we have an embarrassment of riches that is eerily reminiscent of other CWS teams we have fielded that went thud. I guess to be fair, the injuries this year have hurt some, but we appear to have a mindset more like lottery winners than blue-collar guys. No apologies here for the high expectations for our guys.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
I think this team hasn't handled the #1 Defending NCs target that's been on their back lately, and it's most apparent when the lights are the brightest (Austins hero HR aside.) Maybe watching the headlines too much.....

Simple plays that cumulatively will win you Nattys, we don't seem to be able to make this year. Passed balls. Throwing errors. RISP AVG. Maybe not as much focus and execution.

Even Sully said in the post game comments something about the little things matter more at this level.

There's a reason why only 6 teams in CWS history have gone back to back.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Arkansas looks like the most complete team and have for most of the season. They have been very consistent from start to finish. Great batting order, solid defense, good mix of youth and experience and solid pitching with depth.

SaltyGator

Make the Gators great again!
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
I still think it goes back to the last sec series against Mississippi State. I said it then, taking our foot off the gas really hurt us. We've never recovered and played as well as we did prior to that series. I understand what Sully was doing trying to get guys rest but momentum is a real thing for sports teams and to take your foot off the gas is dangerous. All these teams know we're beatable now and they all believe they can beat us so if we're not on at 100% we're not going to win. I hope we can turn it around but we need a lot of that 11th inning luck from the Auburn game.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Singer was hurt for the MSU series. Threw the whole rotation out of order. I think it affected the team mentally, but there were cracks showing before that series IMO.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No hit, no field, is a good recipe for 2 and BBQ.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Singer was hurt for the MSU series. Threw the whole rotation out of order. I think it affected the team mentally, but there were cracks showing before that series IMO.
Agree - Starting with the April 17 loss to Jacksonville, we went 9-9 to close out the regular season and we're 6-5 in the post season. Been a very average team the last 2 months.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
One last thing, it looks like the Jonah Girand era is over for this season. I wish the young man well. It was a great story in the regionals.

Last edited:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Is it really taking your foot off or just eventually the level of talent and play coming to the front?

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Is it really taking your foot off or just eventually the level of talent and play coming to the front?
I don't think it's the level of talent because the SEC was very deep this year and we won every series but the last. I think baseball is just a game of momentum and we dont have any right now. I think our talent has willed us to where we are right now and other teams just have more momentum and it's showing. We have the talent to still win it all but it's not gonna be an easy road at all

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Two and cue. Although sending that punk Clemens packing tomorrow would be sweet.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Hey this aint good. But I'm giving us a 50-50 chance of pulling it out today. There's a chance that the talent, and there's plenty of it, will get their heads screwed on straight.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
One thing I've noticed all year and the commentators mentioned the other night was how few RBI's India has compared to his home runs and batting average. As our #3 hitter, he's only hitting .190 for the season with RISP. That hurts. For most of the year Schwarz and/or Dalton picked him up, but to win on this stage you've got to have your best players rising to the occasion. Today's game, to me, is all about Kowar. If he's the Kowar that pitched against Auburn, we should be in good shape. But if he struggles, we'll probably be in trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.