D1 - Playoff System...

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ok. I'll concede the point but why only the top 4? I agree the best team doesn't always win. I doubt anyone would argue that point. But why only the top 4? I'm trying to think of a playoff that doesn't have wildcards? They do not suffer from including those teams. What's the argument to keep a Bama out and the other conference champ? Just go to 8 and have the wildcards. That's a true playoff.
Because its not really the top 4. Its the top 4 winners of the conference championship games, which is a whole de facto round in itself. Even if you only consider the P5 conferences its 10 teams.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
That’s the crux of the argument. It’s not about the playoff, it’s about the regular season. The argument to keep Bama out is that they had a failed regular season and they had no one to blame but themselves. Wild cards are popularity contests. I’d prefer to limit it to just those teams that actually raised a trophy at the end of the season.

Is it? Or is it because they are so damn good that giving them a 2nd chance bothers you? I see more Bama hate(which is fine btw) than an actual argument against wildcards. If a team is in the top 4 at the end of year and a wildcard how is that a popularity contest? If anything Bama winning twice as a non conference champion tells me they got it right.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Because its not really the top 4. Its the top 4 winners of the conference championship games, which is a whole de facto round in itself. Even if you only consider the P5 conferences its 10 teams.

I know you said top 4 conference champs. Why only them? Why not the 5th? Why no wildcards? Seems arbitrary. Just another anti-Bama set up.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know you said top 4 conference champs. Why only them? Why not the 5th? Why no wildcards? Seems arbitrary. Just another anti-Bama set up.
Arbitrary? Its a semifinal. Every semifinal ever played has 4 teams. Consider the CGs and super-quarterfinal or a play-in or whatever. Its basically 3 rounds of competition to determine a champ. There is simply no reason for wild cards.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Arbitrary? Its a semifinal. Every semifinal ever played has 4 teams. Consider the CGs and super-quarterfinal or a play-in or whatever. Its basically 3 rounds of competition to determine a champ. There is simply no reason for wild cards.

It's the power 5. Disagree. NBD. It's inevitable they go to 8 teams anyhow. Too much money.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's the power 5. Disagree. NBD. It's inevitable they go to 8 teams anyhow. Too much money.
Don't forget, part of my scenario was eliminating divisions within conferences so the top 2 teams in each conference would be playing the quarterfinal round. No 1-loss Bamas would be sitting out.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Don't forget, part of my scenario was eliminating divisions within conferences so the top 2 teams in each conference would be playing the quarterfinal round. No 1-loss Bamas would be sitting out.

Ok. I get what you're saying. That would take a lot of compromise from a lot of schools. Doubt it ever happens but thanks for dealing with a slow t rex this evening. Long week.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It is exactly the opposite. Too much money in bowls.

Ncaa will never be able to grab the bowl money like they did the basketball tournament money.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ok. I get what you're saying. That would take a lot of compromise from a lot of schools. Doubt it ever happens but thanks for dealing with a slow t rex this evening. Long week.
Not sure what big compromise would need to happen. If all you did was eliminate divisions, 90% of this debate goes away. Most of the debate is spurred by leaving a 1 loss Bama or OSU type team at home. Simply putting the two best teams from each conference into the CGs makes it a much clearer picture and also makes the CGs more exciting and the regular season more exciting.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A one loss Barn who beat Bammer and destroyed Ugly would he sitting out?
No the Barn would have been the first team in. They beat both other teams and were ranked higher than either of them. The beauty contest would have been between Bama and UGA. Bama was still ranked ahead of UGA even after the Iron Bowl loss.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Is it? Or is it because they are so damn good that giving them a 2nd chance bothers you? I see more Bama hate(which is fine btw) than an actual argument against wildcards. If a team is in the top 4 at the end of year and a wildcard how is that a popularity contest? If anything Bama winning twice as a non conference champion tells me they got it right.
It has nothing to do with Bama for me. Its all about maintaining the significance and intensity of the regular season. Its the greatest regular season in sports because any single loss can end your season. That creates incredibly intensity week in and week out. When you minimize the impact of losses, you start to take the juice out of the regular season. Back in 06, the entire CFB world was convicted OSU and Michigan were head and shoulders better than everyone else. What they missed is that college football is a regional sport. Teams generally just play teams in their region. I'd much rather give a conference champion from a different region a shot at the title, than give some team that failed to take care of business in their own conference a second chance. Something tells me Earl Everett and Reggie Nelson would agree.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
As a supporter of an 8 team playoff system, I just found this article and wanted to be objective and support our sweet donkey who has given me many of my dislikes

8 anti-Playoff expansion arguments, and why they’re all bad

Easiest way to get a dislike from our “Beast of Burden” …That’s Donkey for those of you who did not go to an “Elite School”, is to talk “Play-Off System”

An 8-team play-off is coming. The issue is how would you account for the UCF’s of the D-1 system?

And to the good Burrow or Ass, who thinks every game is now meaningful…What about all those compass schools or FCS games that D-1 play?

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Easiest way to get a dislike from our “Beast of Burden” …That’s Donkey for those of you who did not go to an “Elite School”, is to talk “Play-Off System”

An 8-team play-off is coming. The issue is how would you account for the UCF’s of the D-1 system?

And to the good Burrow or Ass, who thinks every game is now meaningful…What about all those compass schools or FCS games that D-1 play?

And just like that...a dislike from the Donkey

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator