Dan McCarney fired at North Texas

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Dan McCarney has been fired as North Texas coach, the school announced an hour after a disappointing, blowout loss to an FCS program that continued a spiraling season.

The Mean Green lost their homecoming game to Portland State 66-7 on Saturday, falling to 0-5.
"This is a really tough decision, but after a complete evaluation of the University of North Texas football program, we have decided to make a change at head coach," athletic director Rick Villarreal said in a statement. "I will always cherish my relationship with coach McCarney and he's done nothing but great things for us in his time here, but we felt like this was the best thing we needed to do for the program moving forward."
Offensive coordinator Mike Canales and defensive coordinator Chris Cosh will be co-interim head coaches, a source told ESPN's Brett McMurphy.

Dan McCarney is 78-117 in his coaching career at Iowa State and North Texas. Jerome Miron/USA TODAY Sports McCarney was 22-32 with North Texas. His best year with the Mean Green came in 2013, when they went 9-4 and won the Heart of Dallas Bowl.
He was head coach at Iowa State for 12 seasons, leading the Cyclones to five bowl appearances. He was let go after the 2006 season and spent three seasons as an assistant for Urban Meyer at Florida from 2008 to 2010.
"The people here at North Texas are great, we couldn't be have been embraced or supported any better during my time here," McCarney said in a statement.
Portland State's victory was its second over an FBS program this season. The Vikings opened the year with a 24-17 win over Washington State. No FCS team had won two games against FBS competition since 2001.
The Associated Press and ESPN Stats & Information contributed to this report.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
UNT is literally about 5 miles up the road from where I live. Years ago, it was referred to as "North Texas State". In spite of that, I don't follow them closely, or really at all. Some number of years ago they were pretty good - at least in their division. Seems like they had a very run oriented approach. The coach left for reasons I don't recall, they hired a very successful high school coach (Southlake HS, coached McElroy from Bama and Chase Daniels from MO) and the program faltered - probably a completely different scheme.. Then I guess they got this guy.

A couple of years ago they invested in a new stadium, so I assume that is why they are firing coaches when they struggle. They don't really have a large football brand or following as far as I can tell.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Really don't see the advantage of firing a coach mid-season....unless his name is Will Muschamp.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
PaulDrake;n295240 said:
Really don't see the advantage of firing a coach mid-season....unless his name is Will Muschamp.
See Lane Kiffin.

Sometimes it just gets rid of some of the problems in the lockerroom and you can do better with just an OC or DC acting temporarily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator