Dan Mullen #13 Coach In The Land

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Way overrated. Ahead of Malzahn, good not great recruiter who has sec and natl championships? Richt borderline great recruiter and a consistent three loss guy?

We will say.

Id call him a 25-35 guy.
Crazy man! It’s almost like some people think winning, in any form, at MSU is impressive.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Unfortunately, every word of that is true.

We would have laughed if Tinerc had hired Mullinz as their sixth choice, which they were allegedly hours from doing.
Funny you mention Tennessee. In a few years our coaching search will be just as embarrassing as theirs just was.

Jun 2, 2015
IMHO, this poll is worth about the same as the preseason team ranking polls. For comparison, I looked up some records as one of the guys who voted in this poll stated it was based on accomplishments and who they would want coaching their team.

Overall career records are as follows:
Mullin: 9yrs 69-46 = 600%; Bowls: 5-2 = 714%
Fisher: 8yrs 83-23 = 783%; Bowls: 5-2 = 714%
Richt: 17yrs 164-58 = 739% Bowls: 10-6 = 625%
Smart: 2yrs 21-7 = 750% Bowls 2-1 = 667%

Again, IMHO, Richt should be a little higher and Smart lower. Only 2 yr. record on Smart with the majority of Richt's recruits. Thus, hard to tell how he will do in the long run. I think Mullin is going to do real well @ UF and Fisher will struggle@ Tx. A&M.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah that article really sums up the data on Mullen quite well. All we can do is hope he can be better with better talent.

BTW, I took this data and combined it with data on talent for UF's schedule

UF: Coach 13, five year Talent 14, average 13.5

Charleston So: 66*, 137**, 101.5
UK: 46, 31**, 38.5
Co. State: 66*, 79**, 72.5
UTn: 57, 10, 33.5,
Miss St: 58, 25, 41.5
LSU: 56, 6, 31
Vandy: 50, 45**
UGa: 8, 3, 5.5
UMo: 55, 42**, 48.5
SoCar: 37, 21, 29
Idaho: 66*, 128**, 97
FSU: 34, 4, 19

*are teams not ranked among the 65 power 5 coaches and arbitrarily assigned 66.
** are not in the top 25 talent rankings here:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...football-teams-with-the-best-players-in-2018/

so the prior year's final talent ranking

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite

is used as a proxy:

This clearly points out why I looked at this schedule and said that 10 wins are the minimum acceptable number of wins this season or Mullen was NOT the right hire.
Who gives a crap about recruiting rankings when you still don’t have a QB or OL and you’ll be playing walk-on LBs again by midseason?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Who gives a crap about recruiting rankings when you still don’t have a QB or OL and you’ll be playing walk-on LBs again by midseason?

I certainly agree there are issues at UF LIKE EVERY PLACE ELSE YOU AND I DON'T FOLLOW AS CLOSELY. All I am saying it you look at the talent rating and the coaching rating, you see why Mullen took the job and why expectations should be high.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I certainly agree there are issues at UF LIKE EVERY PLACE ELSE YOU AND I DON'T FOLLOW AS CLOSELY. All I am saying it you look at the talent rating and the coaching rating, you see why Mullen took the job and why expectations should be high.
I’m just bothered by your “10 wins or he’s not the right hire” comments. I think that’s an insanely unrealistic expectation with our roster.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is just a continuation of this toolbag's theories that Butterteeth was doing a great job recruiting at that FAU shyt players signed by Butters are just as good as Trailerbammer and OSU ones.

Obviously, he is a fvkktard. Just smile and wave.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I’m just bothered by your “10 wins or he’s not the right hire” comments. I think that’s an insanely unrealistic expectation with our roster.

Well by those metrics about UF has more talent and better coaching than 8 of the 12 teams on it schedule. I would think a reasonable person would expect a team with better talent and coaching to win. In 3 of the other 4 games UF is better than one of the two metrics and is enough better in one of the two metrics that UF is better one average. Surely a UF should win 2 of those 3 games. That gives UF 10 wins.

If you don't win 10 games against this schedule, I find it hard to believe you ever will. That is unless you want to take issue with either the talent ranking or the coaching ranking. The talent ranking is based on "stars" so it is hard for the star gazers argue with, excepting SD of course who both complains that McElwain did not get recruits with enough stars and then complains when anyone actually posts the number of stars the players on the roster were rated. Of course the stars are subjective, so the rankings of rosters is just looking at a bunch of subjective rankings. Similarly the coaching records are subjective and easier for the star gazers object to.

But you are objecting to one or the other, if you think 10 wins is crazy. I guess in your case you are with SD calling UF's players garbage, but I don't want to speak for you.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Any of those other teams forget to recruit Linebackers or OL?

Last edited:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I see the dumpers are fine tuning their schticks and lowering expectations in preparation for the season.
giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator