Dan Mullen's Record

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n72496 said:
I wonder what Urban Meyers record would have been had he coached MSU.
Solid argument. I'll allow it!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n72496 said:
I wonder what Urban Meyers record would have been had he coached MSU.
Significantly better than Mullen's.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Urban Meyer is a god....everything he touches turns to gold, including MSU football. Do not speak negatively of the greatest coach to ever walk the face of the Earth.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer would likely have been able to recruit good players quicker, so yeah, some success would have been achieved faster. Even though I admire their improvement, I don't believe either Mississippi team will be champions of anything. They have a history of falling apart and not being to deal with the pressure. It would be refreshing and a great story...just don't see it happening...

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
If anybody thinks Cousin Eddie is going to establish a dynasty in Starkville they've eaten too much Edam Cheese at the State Cheese Store.

Attachments

• conv_1010.jpg
    conv_1010.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 43

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
This won't be a popular opinion. I loved my time at UF but Gainesville ain't exactly Paris. I wouldn't ever want to live there now.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer rode Tebow and Harvin to riches. I doubt either of those two, or many players like them, would have gone to MSU just to play for Meyer. Meyer got those guys because UF is UF.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not saying Dan Mullen is Nick Saban but Saban had exactly ONE season at Michigan State with more than 7 wins and that was his last. He had 6 win seasons 3 times and that was in the pathetic Big 10. His final season he went 9-2 but it wasn't him who beat us in the bowl game in 1999.

Sometimes it just clicks for a first time headcoach.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
That's a bunch of BS anyway, Zambo. Meyer has had significant success at FOUR programs now. You don't do that if you can't coach or recruit. We'd still be sitting at 1 NC if he hadn't been hired.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n72517 said:
Meyer rode Tebow and Harvin to riches. I doubt either of those two, or many players like them, would have gone to MSU just to play for Meyer. Meyer got those guys because UF is UF.

Are you really question Meyer's recruiting prowess?

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
Zambo;n72517 said:

Aren't coaches supposed to ride their players to riches? I'll take any coach willing to ride players to riches right now considering we have a coach riding players to.....ditches?

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Okeechobee Joe;n72287 said:
Mullen has a great quarterback in Dak Prescott who has the will to win. If Mullen was coaching UF this year he wouldn't be doing any better than Will Muschamp. Jeff Driskel ain't going to beat Alabama if Amos Alonzo Stagg was coaching him.
Pretty bold statement. To KNOW that.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Floridagator;n72534 said:
Pretty bold statement. To KNOW that.
If Mullen was coaching UF this year he would be 3 and 1 same as Muschamp. Don't see what's so bold about that.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Oh come on. Meyer is a very good coach, I never said otherwise. My point is simply ask yourselves if you REALLY believe he could go to a place like MSU and recruit the kind of talent it takes to win a NC (and keep in mind I'm talking about BEFORE he had a couple iconic rings to wave around). He would have had success there, but not the same ultra high level of success that he had at UF. Don't try to tell me otherwise because I'm not buying it. MSU simply does not by any stretch of the imagination have the allure to help with recruiting that UF has and I maintain that there is NO WAY meyer goes from Utah to Starkville and walks out four years later with multiple NCs.

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
Meyer was able to walk into places like MSU and step their recruiting game up. It was the combination of Meyer and UF that brought the likes of Tebow and Harvin here. Without the UF brand, Meyer probably doesn't get Tebow and Harvin but without Meyer, UF probably doesn't get them either. They just happened to come together at the perfect time and brought us 2 championships.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n72542 said:
Oh come on. Meyer is a very good coach, I never said otherwise. My point is simply ask yourselves if you REALLY believe he could go to a place like MSU and recruit the kind of talent it takes to win a NC (and keep in mind I'm talking about BEFORE he had a couple iconic rings to wave around). He would have had success there, but not the same ultra high level of success that he had at UF. Don't try to tell me otherwise because I'm not buying it. MSU simply does not by any stretch of the imagination have the allure to help with recruiting that UF has and I maintain that there is NO WAY meyer goes from Utah to Starkville and walks out four years later with multiple NCs.

I don't think winning NC's is the end all be all of a definition of a good coach. He didn't win NC's at Utah or Bowling Green but it doesn't detract from his success. But since Meyer has been gone how many Tebow's and Harvin's have we gotten since he left? How many did we get before he came here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.