Dear Professor Fuchs

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
OK so you really think that a new CEO gets to pick and replace all the critical people? A new manager gets to replace all his team?

And who says it was even done. How about Mac was forced to hire a much better s and c team, a much more effective OC, a great specials teams coach, and a great receivers coach. He might still be here and we might be winning a lot more.

I think that traditionally in sports:

A. A new head coach was given free hand to hire his staff. Some of the logic is that if you don't trust this guy to hire his own staff, why hire him.

B. A head coach in trouble was sometimes forced to change staff, in football usually a coordinator, in an area where it was clear results on the field were not good enough. This is why until the death threats issue most expected McElwain to get another year but be forced to change offensive coordinators.

I think the UF UAA in its hubris that they are UF athletics have switched this up in recent hires and started making demands of new hires starting with Zook. I worry they are trying to do this again.

Now maybe I am too UF centric and this is the trend all over the country. I do tend to follow UF by far the most closely or maybe the reports of UF getting offensive coordinators for Zook and Muschamp were just UAA bragging by leaking for public credit and that never even occurred.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I think that traditionally in sports:

A. A new head coach was given free hand to hire his staff. Some of the logic is that if you don't trust this guy to hire his own staff, why hire him.

B. A head coach in trouble was sometimes forced to change staff, in football usually a coordinator, in an area where it was clear results on the field were not good enough. This is why until the death threats issue most expected McElwain to get another year but be forced to change offensive coordinators.

I think the UF UAA in its hubris that they are UF athletics have switched this up in recent hires and started making demands of new hires starting with Zook. I worry they are trying to do this again.

Now maybe I am too UF centric and this is the trend all over the country. I do tend to follow UF by far the most closely or maybe the reports of UF getting offensive coordinators for Zook and Muschamp were just UAA bragging by leaking for public credit and that never even occurred.

Good points but doing things the traditional way is not working for us, I heard that Mac was "suggested" to upgrade his friends last year and declined. I would have made much more than a "suggestion" more like an ultimatum.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Good points but doing things the traditional way is not working for us, I heard that Mac was "suggested" to upgrade his friends last year and declined. I would have made much more than a "suggestion" more like an ultimatum.

From what I have seen UF has not been doing football coach hiring the traditional way. I believe that Spurrier and Meyer had the more traditional free hand to hire the staff they wanted. I believe that Zook, Muschamp and McElwain had less of a free hand. My judgement is that the former worked out a bit better for UF than the latter.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Why is it that UF's coach search always turns into a national media spectacle which leaves us looking foolish and incompetent? Other schools have openings and there is barely a ripple.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Why is it that UF's coach search always turns into a national media spectacle which leaves us looking foolish and incompetent? Other schools have openings and there is barely a ripple.

I believe this is because the UAA staff and in the past particularly the AD want credit. They seem to view this as their chance to be in the spotlight. One would think after the 2002 great Foley flying circus, the Muschamp shock and mugging for the cameras in McElwains living room that perhaps someone there had learned. Yet somehow again we get the Ocala tarmac photo op.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I believe this is because the UAA staff and in the past particularly the AD want credit. They seem to view this as their chance to be in the spotlight. One would think after the 2002 great Foley flying circus, the Muschamp shock and mugging for the cameras in McElwains living room that perhaps someone there had learned. Yet somehow again we get the Ocala tarmac photo op.
And after the circus is over we end up with clowns like Zook, Muschamp, and McElwain -- all hires that were the easy way out.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
So you imagine that Mike Shula's 8 hour in home visit would have worked and Tebow would have gone to UAL or you think Tebow would not have been good enough to win the job at UF under Spurrier?

I do agree that coming back for a second try is very uncertain. I do know that he became the coach with the most wins in SoCar history while UF was dealing with this what has become with this program.

Right. Winningest coach in SC history with zero championships and no QB worth a flip. Connor whathisface and the idiot from Tampa Jefferson notwithstanding.

Does Tebow come to follow in his hero Danny’s footsteps? Maybe. Harvin? Doubtful. Lakeland 7? Maybe, maybe to F$U given Odell Haggins’ relationship with the Pounceys.

Lots of maybes vs. 2 NCs. Interesting “What if?” scenario.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Does Tebow come to follow in his hero Danny’s footsteps? Maybe. Harvin? Doubtful.

You are right. UF always lacked for WRs under Spurrier so missing out on Harvin would have certainly cost us. The Lakeland 7 were so productive and Spurrier never had a worthwhile OL at UF, so that is another case I must bow to you.

So certainly Spurrier could not have hoped to have achieve anywhere near what Meyer did at UF even though Spurrier at UF would not have had to face Spurrier at SoCar. So again sorry my opinion is clearly so wrong.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
You are right. UF always lacked for WRs under Spurrier so missing out on Harvin would have certainly cost us. The Lakeland 7 were so productive and Spurrier never had a worthwhile OL at UF, so that is another case I must bow to you.

So certainly Spurrier could not have hoped to have achieve anywhere near what Meyer did at UF even though Spurrier at UF would not have had to face Spurrier at SoCar. So again sorry my opinion is clearly so wrong.

Post 1996? C’mon. I’m not going to bag on Spurrier because he’s my hero and an all-time great coach, but your opinion that his return would have been a redux of his first tenure is a dreamscape. Can’t recapture the past. That doesn’t stack up against 2 NCs no matter how you slice it.

Likewise, do you think Meyer would be as successful on a second tour at UF?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Post 1996? C’mon. I’m not going to bag on Spurrier because he’s my hero and an all-time great coach, but your opinion that his return would have been a redux of his first tenure is a dreamscape. Can’t recapture the past. That doesn’t stack up against 2 NCs no matter how you slice it.

Likewise, do you think Meyer would be as successful on a second tour at UF?

Well, my view is:

1. Spurrier if he were hired TODAY might well have UF among the top of the SEC year in and year out.

2. I will admit many coaches have gone back to a place of past success and not been able to duplicate it.

3. As far as I am concerned the Spurrier era >>>>>>>> Meyer interlude. Being in the mix, every year for more than a decade is clearly better than being in the mix half the time for 6 years.

4. Meyer might well be able to put together another 6 year stretch here at UF now. My view is that Meyer is a guy who quickly wears thin at a place. He also might not have as much success his second time around.

SC Gator

Sorta Kinda
Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Dear instagator1,

What kind of name is that? Are you one of those message board fanatics? I wish I had time to read message boards and going over every opinion that everyone has on ever decision our Athletic depart makes.

I am the president of a top 10 public university and have been charged with educating our students.

I do dream of a day where message boards are set up to discuss he hiring of chemistry teachers. For now, i will let my Athletic Director make the hires and hope the coach gives the student athletes a chance to compete on and off the field

Dr. Fuches

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Well, my view is:

1. Spurrier if he were hired TODAY might well have UF among the top of the SEC year in and year out.

2. I will admit many coaches have gone back to a place of past success and not been able to duplicate it.

3. As far as I am concerned the Spurrier era >>>>>>>> Meyer interlude. Being in the mix, every year for more than a decade is clearly better than being in the mix half the time for 6 years.

4. Meyer might well be able to put together another 6 year stretch here at UF now. My view is that Meyer is a guy who quickly wears thin at a place. He also might not have as much success his second time around.

Meyer’s durability was certainly a big question before he came (could he last more than 2 years?) His implosion was awful and put us where we are.

I had the same question of Saban. He has proven me wrong. I have the same question of Harbaugh - and his clock is ticking. Meyer is completing year 6 at OSU so he’ll be in unchartered Waters next year.

Spurrier might today be like Bill Snyder at K-State, and he might have led a resurgence at UF (especially with Leak). Key word for me is “might” vs. “did” and you are no question correct about longevity.

Virtual beer on me!

The Shady Grove Gator

Relapsed Wise-Ass
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
OK so you really think that a new CEO gets to pick and replace all the critical people? A new manager gets to replace all his team?

And who says it was even done. How about Mac was forced to hire a much better s and c team, a much more effective OC, a great specials teams coach, and a great receivers coach. He might still be here and we might be winning a lot more.
A Maddenesque random play generator is a better OC than Nusschump. The newly hired 20 year old trainer at the nearest Planet Fitness is better than Kent. Anybody and I mean any"body" is a better STC than Nord.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
A Maddenesque random play generator is a better OC than Nusschump. The newly hired 20 year old trainer at the nearest Planet Fitness is better than Kent. Anybody and I mean any"body" is a better STC than Nord.

While I agree totally we want a top flight person in every position, not just better than poor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator