December 7, 1941 - Why Georgia will always be our #1 Rival

Gatormb

Jul 26, 2018
The 1941 December 7th bombing of Pearl Harbor officially brought the United States into World War 2. At the University of Florida our football players prepared to join the Army to fight for the freedom of not only the US but the world. Our 1942 team would consist mostly of walk-ons. We also lost coaches to the draft.

Meanwhile at the University of Georgia coach Wally Butts hustled all of his scholarship players down and signed them up for ROTC allowing them to stay in school. That year Georgia beat us 75-0 and rubbed our noses in it. Towards the end of the game they had their center attempt extra points.

The fact that several late season loses kept UF from winning their first SEC championship (Spurrier as QB) only adds fuel to the fire but you young Gators who want to pretend FSU, Miami or Tennessee is our greatest rival have now been educated. The University of Georgia put football ahead of country.

:thumbup:

Last edited:

Defend the Swamp

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2018
The 1941 December 7th bombing of Pearl Harbor officially brought the United States into World War 2. At the University of Florida our football players prepared to join the Army to fight for the freedom of not only the US but the world. Our 1942 team would consist mostly of walk-ons. We also lost coaches to the draft.

Meanwhile at the University of Georgia coach Wally Butts hustled all of his scholarship players down and signed them up for ROTC allowing them to stay in school. That year Georgia beat us 75-0 and rubbed our noses in it. Towards the end of the game they had their center attempt extra points.

The fact that several late season loses kept UF from winning their first SEC championship (Spurrier as QB) only adds fuel to the fire but you young Gators who want to pretend FSU, Miami or Tennessee is our greatest rival have now been educated. The University of Georgia put football ahead of country.

Fck Georgia.

No really...I mean Fck Georgia

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I hate Georgia. 1941, 1968, probation loss of SEC championship. Claiming more wins than games we've played. Vince Dooley. Did I mention Vince Dooley.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Thanks for the reminder about the 1942 game.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Our boys went and fought and died early, theirs waited a year, and still proudly brag about the 1942 national title while literally standing in the shed blood of Gators, Vols, Tigers, etc. **** them.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
Really? Can’t we just hate our rivals without relying on something that happened 80 yrs ago? Let’s maybe stop the way back machine at Buck Belue to Lindsay Scott. A large chunk of people here probably weren’t born bf 1980, and I bet none were bf the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Really? Can’t we just hate our rivals without relying on something that happened 80 yrs ago? Let’s maybe stop the way back machine at Buck Belue to Lindsay Scott. A large chunk of people here probably weren’t born bf 1980, and I bet none were bf the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!

Things that happened before you were born still actually happened.

Gatormb

Jul 26, 2018

So what you’re saying is only current history is important. In other words our biggest rival changes with who has beaten us lately./

Sorry Author. Book finished. Georgia!!!!!

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't hate the State of Georgia but I do hate UGA!

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
Hey, I don’t object to the premise (hating UGA), it’s the rationale I wondered about. Yep, stuff happened before I was born. No, I don’t think recent history is all that matters, but usually the more recent something happened the more relevant it is.

Here’s another way of thinking about it: I don’t think many people hate Japan and Germany, and we fought actual wars against them. Fought England a couple times, too, and they burned the darn White House down. Still, England has been our closest ally the last 150yrs or so.

Actually, that makes it sound like we should like UGA and other rivals. Not what I’m getting at. Also, I was just thinking out loud, so nothing really to debate or analyze here. Peace.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
The way I look at it, if those dumb-@$$ dawgs enlisted early, they would have screwed up the war so bad we’d be speaking German right now.

So, we should thank those dawgs for sticking around to play a game instead of screwing up a perfectly good war.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Where is 812?

Haven’t seen him in ages.

Alex.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016

Not to be obnoxious about it, but the old John Belushi joke about the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor is not quite so funny to those of us who lost an uncle to Japanese treachery that day. And no, for those who have watched UGA and her trash fans display an utter lack of class on too many occasions to recount, no slight is forgiven, no insult forgotten. Incidentally, to put things in perspective for those too young to know, we had an excellent RB at UF ca '34-'37 named Walter Mayberry. Mayberry volunteered for the Marine Corp immediately after the sneak attack on Dec. 7, 1941 "the day that will live in infamy," and "died" in captivity as a result of criminal mistreatment at the hands of the Japanese - the same enemy that UGA stood aside and let others fight while they stayed home for a year to run up scores on teams depleted by voluntary enlistments, as well as the draft. A pox on them.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018

You get a “Best post ever” trophy from me.
Outstanding.
I hate those damn obnoxious, drunk, barking pos, inbred a holes , and their husbands.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
This works fine for me.

Yeah!!
I was actually sitting at about the 10 yard line at that end, when this happened.
Our guys showed ALOT of composure. It could have turned ugly.

We still could have won that game.
Tebow was VERY limited that day with a banged up shoulder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator