Declining College Football Attendence

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Espn already does offer packages with pretty much all the cable alternatives.
Playstation Vue actually seems like a good option since it also allows access to watchESPN app, not all of them do.
I switched to playstation vue and use an antenna for local channels...i love it and am never going back to cable

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'll go with all these. The time investment is a big consideration too. I live in Oviedo (Orlando) and I usually leave for G'vlle about 4-5 hours before kickoff for a 3:30 game. That means I leave home at 10:30 AM and get home around 10:30 PM. That's 8 hours more than just watching it on the tube.

And, finally, there's the product. How compelling is it? Not as compelling as it used to be.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Is there any way to get say the ESPN channels and just add in like a couple of other varied channels without having to get a whole expanded package with any of these services?
Not yet, it's still a set number of channels, though there are a few packages to choose from.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yep cable cord cutting is a really big issue going forward and its taking off big time with ESPN losing subscribers now. I think they will be forced to offer packages broken down to specific targeted programming soon or they will lose even more. Some people just want a few sports channels and a couple of others and that is it and don't want to be forced to subsidize all that other mess.

This is a big issue (cable cord cutting). It was a topic on Clay Travis show this morning.

It costs about $85/year to have ESPN (as part of your cable package). I'm sure most CFB fans would pay $30-$50 for some sort of ESPN CFB package....and many CBB fans would pay about the same for a basketball package. That would almost make up for about half of the $85 ESPN is losing when someone "cuts the cord" w/ cable. I'm sure they could get creative to offer a variety of packages w/ hockey, soccer, MLB, NBA, etc.

I still have Direct TV and will probably hang onto it since I have the "second home" plan (I own a cabin in the mountains and it costs me about $15 extra to have DTV out there also...it would be a lot more if I had to have two separate packages/plans).

I haven't attended a home UF game since LSU in 2008. I've been to a few road games, but living in DC makes it tough. It's understandable that fans are not attending w/ all the negatives. The only games I'd like to go to nowadays would be the heavyweight games (UGA, LSU, FSU, etc). I have no interest in watching us play Presbyterian live in person.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Exhibit W in Gator Chatter members politicizing things that have nothing to do with politics.

Let's break this down.

1. HD TV
2. Flat screens with perfect picture are cheaper than ever
3. Uncomfortable bleachers vs. your own couch
4. Ticket prices
5. Food and drink prices at the stadium vs. home
6. Literally every game is on TV
7. Improved camera angles and coverage during games

That's why attendance is down. Staying at home and watching on TV has become the more convenient and easiest way to watch the game. It used to be only a handful of games were on TV and it was crappy coverage, now it isn't.
I would add the additional logistics of getting there, getting parking, getting out, dealing with the traffic and all the other stuff that turns a 3.5 hr block of time on your couch into a 12 hour day for anyone who doesn't live near the venue they are going to but other than that, agree 100%.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
One Saturday last season I counted 18 CFB games on TV which were available to me (ESPN, SEC, ABC, CBS, NBC, FSN, etc.). I had Gator season tickets for over 30 years. Going to the games was fun but a trip to the game took a full day no matter what time kickoff. (I lived in Orlando and Jax during that time period.) Now I have to say, being able to sit back and watch the game(s) of my choice in full big screen HD with surround sound is hard to beat. Lazy? Maybe. But thanks mainly to ESPN and the big bucks they shell out, CFB has become a studio sport and the NFL is not far behind.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure folks in the 60s said the same thing.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
0ce50b6810ec2f680fad594729ca2e94.jpg

Sweet tea over crushed ice with lemon. Who needs jumbotrons?
LOrdy lordy I want one of those.............for my gator room.................Im gonna send it to my wife as a suggestion

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I dropped my 30+ year season tickets for several reasons. But one was a general frustration with how CFB has changed. How it's changed is hard to qualify.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I drove 10 hours each way to see all but 1 home game last year (I missed USCe because alleged "friends" were trying to kill my liver as a birthday present in Key West).

I'll do it again this year, even though I have a nice new 4K HDTV. There is nothing like the sounds, sights, emotions of being there, regardless of "replays".

Plus, at home I will rarely have the opportunity to see a fan projectile vomit on 10 people in 3 rows in front of her. Those are precious memories.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I drove 10 hours each way to see all but 1 home game last year (I missed USCe because alleged "friends" were trying to kill my liver as a birthday present in Key West).

I'll do it again this year, even though I have a nice new 4K HDTV. There is nothing like the sounds, sights, emotions of being there, regardless of "replays".

Plus, at home I will rarely have the opportunity to see a fan projectile vomit on 10 people in 3 rows in front of her. Those are precious memories.
You're a dying breed. :fistbump:

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

And of course you usually get to see me and Sas on your trips!

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

And of course you usually get to see me and Sas on your trips!

...and the Phan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator