Deeper analysis

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Its hard to believe how bad of a cluster* our blocking was in those videos. Our defense was way out of place sometimes also.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If Crucial wrote this he'd be talking about how the fans are behind the team losing. Not the coaches or players.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Great read, rather than trust, I call it coaching and playing scared. Really highlighting how coaches put players in bad schemes

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I like watching stuff like this, but I certainly did not need to see it to know where the fault lies. Year 3 same mistakes. You want to kill the snake, you cut off the head. It all starts at the top.

OllieGator

Founding Member
Member....huh, huh, huh
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Since coach Jim McElwain has come to Gainesville, Florida has lost twice to Florida State, Alabama and Michigan by an average score of 36-12. Florida has scored 70 total points in those games, and including field goals and extra points, 44 have been scored by the defense or special teams.

Long article. Sum it up, coaches suck.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Does it really matter if he admits they were bigger and stronger or that they called better plays? Either way, it falls on Mac.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
It seemed to indicate us playing zone defense, which historically we never do much of. If so and I expect it is why would anybody do that? Only by seeing game film of the down field situation can you tell if we were getting separation, if we covered effectively or what defense we were in.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don't need any Xs and Os film study. It was obvious we were outclassed with personnel, coaching and desire.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It seemed to indicate us playing zone defense, which historically we never do much of. If so and I expect it is why would anybody do that? Only by seeing game film of the down field situation can you tell if we were getting separation, if we covered effectively or what defense we were in.

It blamed more than the decision to play zone.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
It blamed more than the decision to play zone.

Yes I did not read all of it, but zone is something we should never play, that is for teams without cover corners.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes I did not read all of it, but zone is something we should never play, that is for teams without cover corners.

How sure are we that we have cover corners? I saw plays where the corners got beat pretty good one-on-one.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Really great article. It's astounding that the coaches continue to miss all that.

It also highlights the understanding of the concepts and strategy of football. Mac, chump, etc. These guys know the x's and o's but are not strategists like spurrier or Meyer.

This is why mac isn't lying when he says he doesn't know what to do. In his mind, they're running the plays they know, but the don't understand the strategy of those plays. Yikes!!

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Michigan new what we were going to do on at least 75% of the plays it looked like to me. They were headed toward the play as soon as the ball was snapped most of the time.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Interesting to hear the intricate details of how things went wrong. As I read on and on it dawned on me that this is really a detailed analysis of why a bad team is a bad team. At this point point our coaches have failed to teach the game properly and are poor decision makers on the field, in the weight room, in the film room, in game planning and cannot begin to make in-game adjustments. Possibly they aren't skilled as coaches to get those things done? This is the worst Gator team in memory and I'm a lifelong Gator now on the topside of 60.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
McElwain must go, I know is is not going to happen but it is obvious to everyone with just a little football knowledge what is wrong with the Florida Gators I, for one, a lifelong Gator, UF grad, yadda yadda yadda, am sick and tired of feeling that we are always on square one of a rebuilding program. The man's failures are too long to list here but his apparent love affair with Doug Nussmeyer is one of them. Any coach who surrounds himself with "friends" rather than the best available assistants is always going to be doomed to failure. For Jim McElwain, the ship has sailed. Go. Just go.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
This is a good assessment of week 1. There's no escaping the film. Fred Johnson, Chauncey and a bunch of others had some bad plays. Very bad.
Elsewhere in the media we're #1 in the USA Today Misery index. They said " nobody else stood out more prominently for their putridness" in week 1.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
All of the players out of position and all the mistakes by players lie at the feet of the HC. It's too late to save him. We've all seen what he is at his best. It's not even close to being good enough. Somebody else suggested this here on this board but he should pull Spurrier at USC and just quit. He can't cut it. Go back to a mid level, MAC or MWC HC job. That's his speed. Go back to Montana or wherever. You tried and failed miserably to fix the offense and program. We're in worse shape than when Muschamp left in a lot of ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator