Del-Rio running his "glory hole" once again

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Florida fans should be able to because we are never close to our roster cap and have plenty of room for players to stay if they want to. :D
Here is an old chart on our scholarships, not sure if there is a more current one.

https://florida.rivals.com/news/unofficial-scholarship-breakdown-finally-a-fullhouse

This is total of 85 scholarships. So you should subtract the following:
Herndon - Sr and Walkon
Harrison - Walkon
Cronkrite - Transfer
Fullwood - Senior
Thompson - Senior
Treon - Transfer
Baily - Transfer
Sousa - Transfer
Dorsey - Transfer
Cox Jr. - Senior
Ivie - Senior
Holley - Medical
Ivie - Medical
Maye - Senior
Rolin - Transfer
Davis - Senior
McMillian - Senior
Stipe - Walkon
Stephens - Walkon
Hardin - Transfer

That's 20 open spots. The following are likely to declare:
Tabor
Wilson
Brantley
Anzalone

That gives us 24 spots, but then you have to add LDR, so 23 spots. How are we getting a 32 class size needed?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Here is an old chart on our scholarships, not sure if there is a more current one.

https://florida.rivals.com/news/unofficial-scholarship-breakdown-finally-a-fullhouse

Herndon - Sr and Walkon
Harrison - Walkon
Cronkrite - Transfer
Fullwood - Senior
Thompson - Senior
Treon - Transfer
Baily - Transfer
Sousa - Transfer
Dorsey - Transfer
Cox Jr. - Senior
Ivie - Senior
Holley - Medical
Ivie - Medical
Maye - Senior
Rolin - Transfer
Davis - Senior
McMillian - Senior
Stipe - Walkon
Stephens - Walkon
Hardin - Transfer

Tabor
Wilson
Brantley
Anzalone

That gives us 24 spots, but then you have to add LDR, so 23 spots. How are we getting a 32 class size needed?

How many are guys not even on scholarship when they first got to Florida? We are the exact opposite of teams like Bama when it comes to that stuff.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Strikes me that, in the huddle LDR would rather gossip than call a play.

[ I wrote a screenplay about the great 2011 Mississippi flood. Called it "The Great Terrain Robbery"]

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I put walkon next to their name, so those plus LDR

Guess we have recovered there more than I thought. Dang you look at that and think we wouldn't be hurting so bad with the D line next season but I guess the problem there is we don't have too many talented guys with true DT size and have a lot of DE size linemen with talent.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Guess we have recovered there more than I thought. Dang you look at that and think we wouldn't be hurting so bad with the D line next season but I guess the problem there is we don't have too many talented guys with true DT size and have a lot of DE size linemen with talent.
Clark is the only BIG guy and he's only 317 lbs. The rest are under 300 lbs. We have too many project ends and rushers. Won't be surprised to see some of them transfer this year.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
When playing in that last game could be the difference in 7-8 figures worth of salary, it makes sense, especially if you aren't in the running for a championship. The school has gotten their money's worth out of these kids after 3-4 years of exploitation. If it's some kid who doesn't have a prayer at getting drafted high or at all, it doesn't make sense.

The kids get a $100,000+ scholarship. On top of the scholarship, they get hundreds of thousands worth of training, conditioning, facilities, etc. to get ready for the NFL if that their path.

"exploitation", go smoke some more crack!

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Del Rio being a douche makes it so much easier to call him a loser

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The kids get a $100,000+ scholarship. On top of the scholarship, they get hundreds of thousands worth of training, conditioning, facilities, etc. to get ready for the NFL if that their path.

True - my main argument against the generic argument that these kids are being exploited is that 97% of them wouldn't even be on the field if it was a true open market for big time college football and it didn't have the "workplace" restrictions it does with the student requirements etc. Reading some of their complaints they make it sound like they should be compensated/treated like college football is close to some free market system.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I sit them out as well. I don't buy tickets or spend tons to go see a **** product on the field with a bunch of spoiled babies. Not worth it. I can watch it on the tube and turn it off when we start stinking it up on offense.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LDR knows his career is already over. He won't play again for us

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

And the schools make MILLIONS, especially the big ones. Apparel deals, TV contracts, ticket and merchandise sales, jerseys with players' specific numbers on them that they don't see any revenue from, and the list goes on and on.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Cut the twat and let him go to Oakland and help daddy. Problem solved.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Herndon - Sr and Walkon
Harrison - Walkon
Cronkrite - Transfer
Fullwood - Senior
Thompson - Senior
Treon - Transfer
Baily - Transfer
Sousa - Transfer
Dorsey - Transfer
Cox Jr. - Senior
Ivie - Senior
Holley - Medical
Ivie - Medical
Maye - Senior
Rolin - Transfer
Davis - Senior
McMillian - Senior
Stipe - Walkon
Stephens - Walkon
Hardin - Transfer

Tabor
Wilson
Brantley
Anzalone

Probably not 32. But one or two unexpectedly declare. Not sure how many early enrollees we have but they can be rolled back to last year's class. Somebody will get medically removed. And a couple more will probably transfer.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Probably not 32. But one or two unexpectedly declare. Not sure how many early enrollees we have but they can be rolled back to last year's class. Somebody will get medically removed. And a couple more will probably transfer.
Sharpe may declare, but he'd be better of dropping weight and improving his stock. Dawson will be given the opportunity to play CB, which should help his draft stock. I do think that some of the DE's should probably transfer. A couple of them will never make it.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
And the schools make MILLIONS, especially the big ones. Apparel deals, TV contracts, ticket and merchandise sales, jerseys with players' specific numbers on them that they don't see any revenue from, and the list goes on and on.

Yes, everybody wins, that's not exploitation. Unless of course you believe that I am being exploited by my employer even though I am a well paid engineer.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Lets just make it pro teams at the big football schools and drop the student nonsense then most of them can pay their way through school since they wont be good enough to get that fully compensated position as a football player. Heck a few borderline current NFL guys may get a better contract from a school like Texas than staying in the NFL.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
3-4 years of exploitation
If getting to put on the uniform of one of the most historically relevant CFB programs while also getting 100-200K worth of education along with getting a chance to make millions playing a game, OR perhaps having that education make a nice six figure salary doing something else is exploitation then please sign me up......

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
When playing in that last game could be the difference in 7-8 figures worth of salary, it makes sense, especially if you aren't in the running for a championship. The school has gotten their money's worth out of these kids after 3-4 years of exploitation. If it's some kid who doesn't have a prayer at getting drafted high or at all, it doesn't make sense.

I'm late to the game, but I've got two cents.

I'm with Sas seeing this as a complex issue where I can see both sides. I haven't heard the national media address the perspective of completing one's commitment or loyalty to the program and team that put the player in the position to be drafted. I wish someone would deal with that well too.

Where I part ways with Harry is where others have taken exception. ..."The school has gotten their money's worth out of these kids after 3-4 years of exploitation." That's bull. All of the parties involved know the situation when the players commit. They volunteer for their role in college football. I don't need to innumerate all of the benefits that a big-time college football player gets or that the schools get. It's a voluntary agreement that they enter in and the rules don't change. If those rules need to be altered (like cost of attendance), then I'm all for it, but let's not propagate the culture of entitlement and valuing victimhood over everything else that is so pervasive in our country.

They aren't exploited. They are consenting and privileged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator