Detailed article on Mullen's offense

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It is 1970-1992ish Notre Dame, with the tight end and fullback in the slot.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
2017 Cowbell U - Passing YPG - #116... worse than UF.

Let that sink in for a moment.
People are clowning themselves if the think we didnt get a run only offense.

And yet, here were are. Sit back and enjoy the rape err....... ride.... I guess.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
...MSU's offense doesn't seem to be completely run heavy, at least compared to some other more successful teams and their quarterback isn't running it way more than other signal callers. So, what gives? Is it the play design that causes concern or what? I see that they run more than they throw but the splits don't appear to be 1960 Ohio State type offensive numbers.

Football analysis board members.....care to shed any light?
I think there's a lot of valuable information you can glean from statistics, trends in particular. Before I go further, I have to think that the fact that the stats used to judge Mullen's successes at MSU show his O to be heavier run is alarming to most who clamor for a more effective offense (in terms of yards and points) and, perhaps, walk hand-in-hand with the disappointment of not getting Kelly, Frost, or another coach who is determined to be more effective offensively. Add to that his won/loss record overall and against SEC and ranked opponents and there is some cause for pessimism. I have to admit that I was hoping Frost would be it, but as previously stated, when Nebraska fired Riley, that took him off the board. While Mullen may be merely a consolation prize to many, in my mind he's a pretty good big screen TV as opposed to the toaster and pencil sharpener we've had previously. I also think that if you're going to judge him fairly you have to consider, as several in the CFB community have offered, that he was at the helm of a traditionally middling program in the stronger side of the SEC.

So, with the qualifiers out of the way, what I'd focus on in terms of what he does offensively and how it could benefit us is to think about what he does from a formation standpoint and what he seeks to accomplish in terms of generating match-up and numbers advantages. The further away from the box you can cause the OLBs/SS to reduce, the more space you create off-tackle to run. If the D cheats on the reduce, like it or not, it opens the door for a quick throw wide, preferably to a Toney or similar athlete. If the D plays Man-Free against the 4 Wide, you get a +1 advantage in the box to run. Pick your gap. Certainly there's more to it, but these two factors IMO are what allows Mullen to have success. He didn't invent this either, but has been able to tailor it to the defenses, both scheme and personnel, that he has faced. Yes, it's great if he has the QB that is truly dual threat, but he can still operate with a guy who might not quite be like the Louisville kid (but not like Brantley, either). The combined talent of this position, I believe, will dictate the run/pass percentage. Blinding flash of the obvious here.

What I believe will be the real factor that makes his offense go should be the offensive athletes he can bring to us compared to what he got in Mississippi and arguably to what we have gotten the past seven years. I include OL in this need group as well. We're not just going to need big, strong bodies, but agility with good feet as well considering his schemes that require tight G-Schemes, wraps, traps, etc. I don't expect us to lead the league in offensive production next season. It'll take three years to achieve such a lofty goal, but I feel like we'll be better coached and prepared than we've recently experienced. Such has been one of his trademarks.

I think it would be cool if our O could be Spurrier-esque once again. Yeah, it was fun. But if Mullen can provide an O that can score more than our D allows (D...another key piece) more often than not, then I'll be happy. My take may be overly simplistic, but I don't think it needs to be overly complex. Superior athletes that are well-trained and prepared will most often be the better team. That's essentially what he's promising, that's what I expect.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
If the line improves, and it should with him, then our options for what we can do improve considerably.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't expect us to lead the league in offensive production next season. It'll take three years to achieve such a lofty goal,
Mullins is never going to lead the league in offense, not without Harvin and Tebow.

However, I agree he may field a team that scores just enough to win.

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
9 wins. I think at some point we had something like 32 players out? At the end of the year? Due to suspension and injuries. And a ton of starters.
You and I know that when losing starts happening rapidly, so do the "injuries"

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Seriously, nobody on this board is better at finding a cloud hidden in a silver lining than you. Pathetic. I'll go ahead and take the fact that a guy like cover2 likes my post while you give it a petulant dislike as a badge of honor. Man you are just one miserable sob.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Your disdain for Mullins is apparent and not uncommon with people inside the program. My perspective is distant, a friend who used to work inside basically.

Beyond X's and O's, what are the major reasons that so many people inside the athletic department and UAA hate Mullins?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Oh somebody sent you a PM? Well hot dignity, you caught the tater. Now go get some counseling. You need it. Bad.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He wins when he has more talent. Do I dare bother ask if you came up with that thesis on your own?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He wins when he has more talent. Do I dare bother ask if you came up with that thesis on your own?
I don't mean to continue to belabor the obvious, but that WASNT the rep that Creyer had. He beat everyone with Utah talent (back when they were still WAC).

People are on here claiming Creyer's success was really Mullins' etc, so it is a notable contrasting point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator