Detailed article on Mullen's offense

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Don’t remember Jed, but Robert Q. Marsten would often reminisce about me shaking his hand. Jed & Faye Dunaway were the famous alumni they’d always talk about (but neither graduated from UF.)

We did graduate with Wendy Thomas, as in the burger heiress.

You EE types are scary smart. Better remember that...
LOL. I got dumb with age so I'm no longer dangerous. Yep Wendy was on campus with us. I think Faye gave a speech at Lake Alice once and that was where the legend was born.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
LOL. I got dumb with age so I'm no longer dangerous. Yep Wendy was on campus with us. I think Faye gave a speech at Lake Alice once and that was where the legend was born.

Big regrets: I missed the Police at Lake Alice & U2 at the Rathskellar.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Florida has a new coach. He’s going to win games. Let’s get that out of the way up top.

Whether Dan Mullen can bring a championship to Gainesville is another question. But the Gators just landed the second-best coach in the SEC – by some distance. And he’s a coach who’ll do it in the fun ‘n’ gun style that natives have been clamoring for since Urban Meyer left.
Hard to get past that intro. It's amazing to think that you can actually get paid to write a sports piece and be so fvkking stupid that you think either Urban Creyer or Mullinz runs a fun'n gun style offense.

It's about par for the course though.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@GatorDave_SEC: Want some great breakdown of the Mississippi St offense under Dan Mullen? Here’s a video from @RadioWyatt breaking it down vs Bama

Great work!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Did you see how well those receivers were blocking though?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Here is 2016. You can watch Mullinz score less points vs Bammer than Drunk Doug Dumpsterfire.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How Mississippi State makes you wrong

I don't know if this was posted earlier, but we were discussing it in another thread which I can't find now either.

I will put it here. Some were questioning why the receivers always run 9s and why that's all Franks was throwing.

"For the receivers, the outside guys are primarily either blocking or running vertical routes down the field."

There's your answer, kind of. A full playbook is listed below and you will see that the route selection is usually controlled by the defensive set. This was actually easily seen when Mullinz was here before. They'd line up five wide, count the box, if they had low numbers, motion a receiver into the backfield and run it. Or when the commentator (I forget his name) counted the box on one play and said Franks would be required to run a QB draw. BTW, if the color analyst knew this, you can bet the other defensive coordinators do as well.

"The line needs to be mobile to execute Mullen's zone blocking schemes, but needn't be great at pass protection."

This part is also interesting. Does it sound like our line? It's just the opposite of what Mac was recruiting, big strong dudes for a power offense and pass blocking.

"Mullen's offense throws the ball primarily with either play-action or from spread sets in which the QB can move around....The quarterback needs to be fast, smart, and tough enough to understand and operate the whole offense. Players like Prescott or Tim Tebow, who are above all tough and versatile, are more likely to excel than players with a few elite skills or drop-back acumen."

This really describes none of our QBs, Trash isn't fast, can't run and is a mediocre passer. EJ looks like a freshman. FF we know well by now. It is what it is.

Here is a full playbook if you are into this:

Spread Offense

http://www.footballxos.com/download/utah-spread-offense-urban-meyer-ppt/?wpdmdl=4098&ind=0

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How Mississippi State makes you wrong

I don't know if this was posted earlier, but we were discussing it in another thread which I can't find now either.

I will put it here. Some were questioning why the receivers always run 9s and why that's all Franks was throwing.

"For the receivers, the outside guys are primarily either blocking or running vertical routes down the field."

There's your answer, kind of. A full playbook is listed below and you will see that the route selection is usually controlled by the defensive set. This was actually easily seen when Mullinz was here before. They'd line up five wide, count the box, if they had low numbers, motion a receiver into the backfield and run it. Or when the commentator (I forget his name) counted the box on one play and said Franks would be required to run a QB draw. BTW, if the color analyst knew this, you can bet the other defensive coordinators do as well.

"The line needs to be mobile to execute Mullen's zone blocking schemes, but needn't be great at pass protection."

This part is also interesting. Does it sound like our line? It's just the opposite of what Mac was recruiting, big strong dudes for a power offense and pass blocking.

"Mullen's offense throws the ball primarily with either play-action or from spread sets in which the QB can move around....The quarterback needs to be fast, smart, and tough enough to understand and operate the whole offense. Players like Prescott or Tim Tebow, who are above all tough and versatile, are more likely to excel than players with a few elite skills or drop-back acumen."

This really describes none of our QBs, Trash isn't fast, can't run and is a mediocre passer. EJ looks like a freshman. FF we know well by now. It is what it is.

Here is a full playbook if you are into this:

Spread Offense

http://www.footballxos.com/download/utah-spread-offense-urban-meyer-ppt/?wpdmdl=4098&ind=0

Good to see you've finally come around to reason.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Good to see you've finally come around to reason.

yet there were 38 pass attempts, not including the Frank's rushing attempts that were probably originally pass plays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.