Dinner With Muschamp...

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Don't know about merging and didn't want the subject of this thread to get lost in the Waffle House discussion :), so I just started a new one. The Mods can do what they need to as far as combining. This also might be a little long, so be forewarned. Anyhow, here's what went on:

Muschamp began by taking pictures with the guests and signing memorabelia. He looked a little tired, but was very congenial. Afterward, there was a little motivational piece from one of the GSW folks and a blessing and we all enjoyed smoked chicken, pork loin, rib tips, shrimp and grits, and the rest of the trimmings (the Miller Lite wasn't bad either!). Coach was introduced by Jimmy Rane who talked a little about being exceptional and used Gator great Forrest "Fergie" Ferguson as an example. Ferguson enlisted in the army immediately after graduation and was among the first to land at Omaha Beach on D-Day. Showed great bravery by setting charges that opened a gap in the German defenses and was critically wounded, never fully recovering and dying ten years later. This was the kind of effort that not only our Gators need to give, but Americans everywhere. Holds Will in high regard and hired him as a salesman out of college. Had to fire him, though, due to Will getting in a fight with a competitor who bad-mouthed Rane and GSW! Say what you will about his temper, but I'd rather have a guy with that kind of passion and loyalty than someone who's PC and smarmy. Will started with a little humor about having Nike design a Gator polo for him that was light and comfortable, but also bullet-proof! During his talk, he hit on the following points:

*Feels real good about the defense at this point as well as the special teams, but knows that the offense has to be much improved over last season. Roper was hired to do just that and came highly recommended by the college football people whom he solicited for advice. In addition to bringing an increased tempo and spreading the field, Roper is regarded for his ability to develop QB's, which is important for not only Driskel, but also Grier and Harris. Excited about the maturity as an athlete and a leader that Jeff has shown and expectations of him are great this year.

*Also feeling good about a decrease in soft tissue injuries (from the spring to now) and that great attention was being given to prevention through the conditioning arm of the program, though he didn't get into the specifics.

*Acknowledged that a better job must be done in the recruitment and development of offensive players (see Roper and Summers, etc.) as indicated by the number of our offensive guys who have been drafted lately and feels good about that progress after the spring.

*Says Hargreaves is the best CB in college football and is a natural leader who does so by example and not so much with his mouth. Secondary is young but talented. DL should be solid and deep, just needs to gain experience, and expects better play from the LB's.

*OL is much deeper and talented, but like the DL just needs to gain experience from playing time. Antonio Ryals has been a pleasant surprise there.

*Offensive skill players are as deep and talented as they have been since he has been in G'ville. Praised Robinson, Showers, and Thompson among others. Really likes McGee (TE transfer) and the skill set he brings to the position.

*Answered a question about the locker room by saying that this year, our best players are also our best people and they have been doing a good job of setting the tone for the rest of the team!

*Said when questioned about who the starting RB would be that he told them that there was six of them and one ball, so they would need to figure that one out!

*Was asked about his involvement with the offense and the playcalling. Stated that he has never called an offensive play since he's been here and has no plans to do so! Would like us to be as balanced offensively as we can.

I got the feeling that he is ready to tee it up now, wanting to do far better than last year's results. Knows what he and the team needs to do and is preparing them as such.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We have a ton of bodies for the defensive line, but I'm a bit worried about experience there. Same with linebacker. I think McMillian will be a starter day one (he should've started last year - but to my problems had problems calling right defense?), so that should help. But again, no experience. We'll be a little exposed in the defensive backfield for the first few games, but they'll be lockdown by the middle of the season. A lot of young kids there as well.

Now offense. Absolutely stacked at running back and wide receiver. What concerns me is depth on O-line. We have experience and size but this offense will have functional problems if we can't keep those big guys healthy. And lastly, QB. It's not his physical ability. It's inability to throw down the field consistently and he holds on the ball too long. Roper's really been drilling in the 1-2 GET RID OF THE BALL mentality, so hopefully this sticks when the bullets are flying.

Lots of question marks. But lots of potential.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks great stuff as usual. I do think that the HBC can influence every coach by his philosophy, and I think he might suggest a call or calls. After all he does know D and should have some thoughts on how best to attack others.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks, Cover. Appreciate you taking the time to share.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n5356 said:
Thanks great stuff as usual. I do think that the HBC can influence every coach by his philosophy, and I think he might suggest a call or calls. After all he does know D and should have some thoughts on how best to attack others.
I believe him when he says he doesn't call plays but i don't believe he doesn't have a major influence on the way he wants to see a drive go.

He is going to have to change and change big time...it's time to really let loose and get some fireworks going if he can. I believe that's the only way he can win back some of the fanbase...he's got to win and look good doing it. Start with Idaho and really try to embarrass them....drop 50+ on them. We come out and win another 24-6 or 21-10 type game against an overmatched cupcake their is going to be groans in the swamp and "noise in the system" from the first game on. Plus i think it could also go a long way for the players to finally put up some points and yards...get them back to having fun and enjoying the game.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Good Stuff. I don't think anyone accused him of calling the actual plays just pushing his offensive philosophy (which he has dropped hopefully) in Spring and Camp etc.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I heard him at a booster meeting a couple of years ago and he said almost exactly the same thing (names changed, of course). Found him to be an above average speaker, very passionate. Now he needs to put a product on the field that is commensurate with the talent we have.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks, Cover. I'm most happy to hear about the improved leadership and extra attention to preventing soft tissue injuries. If true, then I believe the rest will fall into place.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I'll keep my mouth shut on some of my reaction to certain statements, because I am new, and in the spirit of supporting out head coach going into football season.

However, I have been waiting to put my 2 cents in about the following, as no one else ever has mentioned this. it is NOT accurate that he never called plays, unless he was lying before. I heard him say in at least 3 post game or monday pressers ( maybe 4 before I stopped listening) that he, not Pease, had called specific plays. He then went on to say why he had made that choice and why it was a good one. The first time I heard it was after the Miami game in which he blamed the players for not executing it properly. I soon after read that the play historically has a very low % of success because it IS hard to execute properly.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jenny On The Railroad;n5533 said:
I'll keep my mouth shut on some of my reaction to certain statements, because I am new, and in the spirit of supporting out head coach going into football season.

However, I have been waiting to put my 2 cents in about the following, as no one else ever has mentioned this. it is NOT accurate that he never called plays, unless he was lying before. I heard him say in at least 3 post game or monday pressers ( maybe 4 before I stopped listening) that he, not Pease, had called specific plays. He then went on to say why he had made that choice and why it was a good one. The first time I heard it was after the Miami game in which he blamed the players for not executing it properly. I soon after read that the play historically has a very low % of success because it IS hard to execute properly.

Proof that he admitted to calling a play or you are lying. :stickpoke:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks Cover. Really appreciate you sharing this with us. My excitement level is rising fast as we approach the football season.:headbang:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jenny On The Railroad;n5533 said:

Many of Pease's pass plays were difficult to execute anyways because of the amount of time it took to run certain routes. Most of Roper's pass plays involve the QB to throw within 3 seconds. I think Driskel will have a significant number of ruduced sacks for that reason alone. Anyways, in reguards to what you said, I know in the past whenever UF fakes a punt, Muschamp takes credit for making that call, which means he probably choose which play to run for the fake punt too.

Muschamp has said that he wanted a balanced attack since the day he was hired, and I believe him when he says that. The reason why we were so run oriented the last 3 years is because the run game was our strength. In 2012 we had a new QB struggling to make decisions and no playmaker at WR. The run game was the only aspect of the offense that the coaches trusted, so they conservatively relied upon it. Last year we began to throw the ball more, but with little reward. Driskel had more attempts and more yards against Miami and we know how that ended. Not long after, UF is forced to using backup QB's and had an Oline that couldn't hold a block longer than 2 seconds. Throwing the ball more would have made the offense worse.

I think this year's offense is allowing Muschamp to feel more comfortable/confident in using the passing game more than previous years. Roper has a quicker attack which will automatically provide more protection for the QB. Driskel should be more mature by now, and from what I can tell, this offense has simpler reads for him to make. There is also a sturdier O-line and lots of talent for WR. There is no excuse for this offense to not have around 35 pass attempts a game. RB is still the strength of this offense, so I expect the running game will still play a significant/dominant role. Last year, the offense averaged about 25 pass attempts a game and about 40 running attempts per game (run/pass percentage of about 60/40). I predict the run/pass percentage will be closer to 55/45 this year. This may not seem like a large increase in pass plays, but considering that an improved offense allows for more plays, then this could mean that we'll see well over a hundred more total passing attempts this season than last.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n5670 said:
Many of Pease's pass plays were difficult to execute anyways because of the amount of time it took to run certain routes. Most of Roper's pass plays involve the QB to throw within 3 seconds. I think Driskel will have a significant number of ruduced sacks for that reason alone. Anyways, in reguards to what you said, I know in the past whenever UF fakes a punt, Muschamp takes credit for making that call, which means he probably choose which play to run for the fake punt too.

Muschamp has said that he wanted a balanced attack since the day he was hired, and I believe him when he says that. The reason why we were so run oriented the last 3 years is because the run game was our strength. In 2012 we had a new QB struggling to make decisions and no playmaker at WR. The run game was the only aspect of the offense that the coaches trusted, so they conservatively relied upon it. Last year we began to throw the ball more, but with little reward. Driskel had more attempts and more yards against Miami and we know how that ended. Not long after, UF is forced to using backup QB's and had an Oline that couldn't hold a block longer than 2 seconds. Throwing the ball more would have made the offense worse.

I think this year's offense is allowing Muschamp to feel more comfortable/confident in using the passing game more than previous years. Roper has a quicker attack which will automatically provide more protection for the QB. Driskel should be more mature by now, and from what I can tell, this offense has simpler reads for him to make. There is also a sturdier O-line and lots of talent for WR. There is no excuse for this offense to not have around 35 pass attempts a game. RB is still the strength of this offense, so I expect the running game will still play a significant/dominant role. Last year, the offense averaged about 25 pass attempts a game and about 40 running attempts per game (run/pass percentage of about 60/40). I predict the run/pass percentage will be closer to 55/45 this year. This may not seem like a large increase in pass plays, but considering that an improved offense allows for more plays, then this could mean that we'll see well over a hundred more total passing attempts this season than last.

Nice post! Also, I doubt roper calls run plays on 90% of our first downs like Pease did. He was way too predictable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.