Dino Babers leads Syracuse to upset of #2 Clemson

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Babers' speech after the game

He's won half the battle. He's got his guys believing. Having that kind of belief in yourself and your team can go a long way in overcoming differences in talent. That said, Syracuse looked like they have a pretty talented football team. Their QB is darn good.

As mentioned, I could never see Mac creating this kind of belief. He has to win on talent alone because from everything I've seen, he does not appear to be someone who can instill a lot of emotion and can do.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The wrong shade of Orange and Blue :grin:
He's won half the battle. He's got his guys believing. Having that kind of belief in yourself and your team can go a long way in overcoming differences in talent. That said, Syracuse looked like they have a pretty talented football team. Their QB is darn good.

They really don't. The biggest issue has been talent. I think last year they were down something like 20 scholarships.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
You haven't had enough of this?

I had enough at press conference #2, and the unbuttoned, button down collar, loose tie, undershirt showing, aw-gosh personality.

UF thrives with a big, charismatic personality that has some real presence. Mac's never been that guy and never will. So, we wait. The only question is how long. Gators supporting Mac or hesitating to point out reality only extend our purgatory.
No. Not saying that Mac is our coach. Just saying that the these dramatic denunciations can be a bit over the top. That's all.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
So now we want Babers. Fine. He looks like my kind of coach. Took two programs and quickly turned them around. Now he appears to be turning Syracuse around. But he is already at a power school. Why should he leave? We need to nail a coach like this before he leaves for a big school. If we did, many of the voices clamoring for him would scream"cheap" and"unproven".

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Law and the rest of you who got your knickers in a knot when I pointed out that the team you were celebrating was another team like UF capable of losing to LSU should now ask yourselves why you were so disturbed by the simple truth. Please note that I did not say the things Law and others accused me of saying.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So now we want Babers. Fine. He looks like my kind of coach. Took two programs and quickly turned them around. Now he appears to be turning Syracuse around. But he is already at a power school. Why should he leave? We need to nail a coach like this before he leaves for a big school. If we did, many of the voices clamoring for him would scream"cheap" and"unproven".

Actually we want him to prove it first at a low level power 5 team. Babers is a great example. Like Mayer at Utah.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Actually we want him to prove it first at a low level power 5 team. Babers is a great example. Like Mayer at Utah.

2 years at Eastern IL (7-5 and then 12-2 and 2 Ohio Valley Champs), 2 years at Bowling Green (8-6 then 10-3 and 1 MAC championship with 2 conference championship games appearances ) and now 2nd year at Cuse and has won 4 games the same amount they won last year. He'll get them in a bowl games and that is good enough for Cuse considering they have been awful.

He has a track record.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
LSU is not good team I agree with you. Have a load of good, young talented players but you shouldn't lose at home to a Danny Etling at QB or Ed Ogre at head coach. A really bad loss for Mac imo.

A parallel: Zook’s 2004 loss at home to LSU despite 4-5 LSU turnovers, backup QB taking over etc. The final blow didn’t come until MSU. Likewise, a lot will depend on how Mac is able to coach through the many injuries on top of the suspensions.

If the Gators wind up 7-4 or even 6-5 he’ll likely survive.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Exactly, J! That is exactly the point the board doesn't get! A decade has passed. Florida doesn't have the respect it had then. The SEC doesn't have the respect it had then. It won't happen. We must lower our expectations. If we do and choose wisely, we can again have the program we want. If we don't accept our limitations, we become Tennessee ranting pointlessly about how important we once we're.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
A parallel: Zook’s 2004 loss at home to LSU despite 4-5 LSU turnovers, backup QB taking over etc. The final blow didn’t come until MSU. Likewise, a lot will depend on how Mac is able to coach through the many injuries on top of the suspensions.

I think Mac is safe this year but he will probably be #1 in every hot seat ranking next summer.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Trust me when we are 3-4 in a couple weeks the seat will be damn hot.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
2 years at Eastern IL (7-5 and then 12-2 and 2 Ohio Valley Champs), 2 years at Bowling Green (8-6 then 10-3 and 1 MAC championship with 2 conference championship games appearances ) and now 2nd year at Cuse and has won 4 games the same amount they won last year. He'll get them in a bowl games and that is good enough for Cuse considering they have been awful.

He has a track record.

So instead of going after Babers, we should be looking for that coach who was turned around an Eastern Illinois-type program, and is now turning around a MAC-level program before the next Power 5 team gets him.

Last edited:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
When enough key players are injured, things can get messy. This is an example of what happens sometimes.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly, J! That is exactly the point the board doesn't get! A decade has passed. Florida doesn't have the respect it had then. The SEC doesn't have the respect it had then. It won't happen. We must lower our expectations. If we do and choose wisely, we can again have the program we want. If we don't accept our limitations, we become Tennessee ranting pointlessly about how important we once we're.
All you 0-10-1 we love being a third or fourth tier team cheerleaders can kiss my ass.

I despise your acceptance of terrible coaches and average teams.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
All you 0-10-1 we love being a third or fourth tier team cheerleaders can kiss my ass.

I despise your acceptance of terrible coaches and average teams.

Attachments

• IMG_0930.GIF
    IMG_0930.GIF
    380.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0931.JPG
    IMG_0931.JPG
    5.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0932.GIF
    IMG_0932.GIF
    449.2 KB · Views: 85

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

That right there is the crux of the argument for Butter's and those who support him or think he can coach. There is always that built in excuse as well as keeping NussNuts for as long as possible before Butters gives him the noose. I get the suspensions, I get the injuries. But those things matter not at all when it comes to sending 12 guys out of a timeout on FG defense. Those things do not cause you to take a timeout 2 minutes into the 1st quarter on a 4th down and 2 to decide to punt. Those things matter not when allowing Vandy to burn 40 seconds off the clock at the end of the 1st half when you have 3 timeouts remaining. Those things matter not when it is 3rd and 6 on your own 5 yard line at KY and you call a tunnel screen which is designed to throw the ball into traffic on your own goal line. Those things matter not when teaching a QB to throw it away when nearing the sideline. Those things matter not when you let 25 seconds run off the clock against UT b/c you did not know if it was a 1st down or not, when the ball was placed on the 25 to start the drive. I could go on and on and on about the mental mistakes that are 100% proof that Butters has never physically practiced the mental aspects of the game with his team. But my keyboard would burn out.

The fact is the built in excuses are there and our decision makers will buy it b/c their football acumen comes to them from you know who!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator