Discussion: “The Brand Is Damaged”

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There’s only like 3 sure fire, championship coaches out there (Saban, Meyer and Dabo). I know A&M thinks they hired the 4th one of that group, but he’s not in IMO. He won it once with Rapeis and has woefully underperformed without him.
I felt like Frost might be the next rising start, but we won’t know for several more years.
Mullen was the safe hire at a time when we couldn’t afford another white board killer or shark humper. He’s disappointing right now on the recruiting trail, so he’s not helping himself at all. He’s gotta figure that piece out quickly if he wants to be here past 3-4 years.

Let’s all hope he does.
I think if you poll the top 15 athletic directors in the country on what they would have done in that situation, most would have said Mullen.

It's unfortunate in many ways. Unfortunate because we had our sights set higher. It felt like a letdown. Unfortunate for Mullen because he was the guy to come in after. He was destined to feel the disappointment of who he was, the third choice.

Dan Mullen is a quality coach. We could have done a lot, lot worse. We need to let this man prove himself for better or worse.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I’d like a thread to discuss what this means because it comes up a lot. Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina, Mizzou, MSU, etc these are brands that I’ve always considered beneath UF for my whole life as a Gator fan. When people say the “brand is damaged” does that mean our brand has fallen to the level of those football programs in the last decade? Is that how undesirable UF football is now? If so, then is perception reality? Are we Vandy and Kentucky now? Is that what UF football is until the next Pell, Spurrier, or Meyer comes along to bring us out of the depths?

Nope it just means people are making excuses for Butters and Mullen's (current) sh*tty recruiting results.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Texas is probably the best example to compare to us if not even falling on harder times. Like us they had real good 08 and 09 seasons but since they have had hard times.

4 losing seasons in the past 8 years

3 losing seasons in the past 4 years.

Just over .500 in the last 8 years.

Herman's 2nd recruiting class - # 4 in Rivals rankings

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Smart is the 4th one in that group with Saban, Meyer, and Dabo IMO. I agree Jimbo is a pretender.

This is a ridiculous post. WTF has Smfart done other than lose a NC game in embarrassing fashion, and hide bags of cash in recruits lunchboxes? Anointing that dwag should be a bannable offense.

Fvkc Jawja.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dan Mullen is a known mediocre coach.
FIFY

I'm not surprised. You were ecstatic at the hiring of Ole McElstain. You seem to have a thing for bottom tier offenses.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Texas is probably the best example to compare to us if not even falling on harder times. Like us they had real good 08 and 09 seasons but since they have had hard times.

4 losing seasons in the past 8 years

3 losing seasons in the past 4 years.

Just over .500 in the last 8 years.

Herman's 2nd recruiting class - # 4 in Rivals rankings
It's different with them. They don't have anm, Baylor, TCU ,Tech and Oklahoma to compete with in their state for recruits.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is a ridiculous post. WTF has Smfart done other than lose a NC game in embarrassing fashion, and hide bags of cash in recruits lunchboxes? Anointing that dwag should be a bannable offense.

Fvkc Jawja.
When he isn't svkking Byrds cawk, he is knobbing Kirby.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
FIFY

I'm not surprised. You were ecstatic at the hiring of Ole McElstain. You seem to have a thing for bottom tier offenses.
Mullen's offense would have outperforned permainterperm Shannon's by a country mile. You really can't hide behind your fatally flawed thinking.

But I do get it. You personally believe you deserve better. And you do. So we're all gonna take up a collection and get you a plastic blowup doll.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here's what Coach Spurrier had to say about our brand after the 1991 season (Head Ball Coach, p. 162):

"We were building a new tradition, a new brand at Florida that we wanted to be unique."

He was the architect of what we so fondly remember and pine for. He was also one of if not our most famous football alumna. Meyer, I believe, would go on to prove that you didn't necessarily have to be "family" to have the impact SOS had, but both were driven to success unlike many of their contemporaries. I just think that the list of coaches with that kind of drive and the intangibles that lead to National Championships is not lengthy. One thing that helped both coaches get off to good starts at the onset of their tenures were the teams they inherited. By comparison, that makes Mullen's job just that much more difficult. He's got time contractually speaking, but not a lot of it in the minds of many fans. In truth, this year may be make or break with regard to W's and L's, recruiting, etc. and the national perception that follows. He's in the nut cracker. I hope he escapes.

Last edited:

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017
All the people who like to talk about facts disappear when it comes to the topic of Kirby and UGA. He had a top 10 defense, won the SEC, and he had one of the best recruiting classes of all time this year. He can recruit and coach. He went toe to toe with Saban and Bama with Richt’s lesser rated recruiting classes. If Mullen is as bad as y’all say, then you’re whistling past the graveyard.

What Mullen has on Kirby is his history developing QBs. That is the great equalizer. That is how SOS overcame the talent gap between his teams and UGA. He simply outcoached the opposition. If Mullen can develop a QB and an OL he can get us back to competing at a high level. I know y’all dog Mullen’s recruiting, but his transition class has several players who have all-SEC potential. Grimes, Krull, Jones, Pierce, Dean, Reese, Pitts, Copeland, Chatfield, Langham, etc. You can win championships with guys like that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
All the people who like to talk about facts disappear when it comes to the topic of Kirby and UGA. .
He played Barn, Barn, and Bammer, and lost in spectacular fashion twice.

And he hired a retard for OC.

He was 1-1 vs Sharkhumper.

Those are what we call facts.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He played Barn, Barn, and Bammer, and lost in spectacular fashion twice.

And he hired a retard for OC.

Those are what we call facts.
Law, you know I love you as a Gator brethren, and as much as I don't like the Dawgs, I think the emphasis on losing the NC game to Bama sounds like more hope that it is an indicator of some sort of incompetence. Hell, I remember an NC loss in '95 that could have been a deal-breaker for a certain coach. Not saying that Kirby is or will be that guy, but he sure seems to be doing everything he can to get back to the stage. I wish I had the same feeling for us now that I did after '96.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Well we could be talking about how shytty Kelly is recruiting. I’ll take Mullin and his energy to work on this project we call Gator football.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
It's different with them. They don't have anm, Baylor, TCU ,Tech and Oklahoma to compete with in their state for recruits.
They compete against Ohio St, Oklahoma, TAMU, ND, FSU, Bama, etc.. The difference is they have a coach who is committed locking down the state rather than chasing pipe dreams.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-F...Rankings?InstitutionGroup=Highschool&State=TX

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-F...Rankings?InstitutionGroup=Highschool&State=TX

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Law, you know I love you as a Gator brethren, and as much as I don't like the Dawgs, I think the emphasis on losing the NC game to Bama sounds like more hope that it is an indicator of some sort of incompetence.
He had 35 seniors and two of the best backs in the country, and lost. Twice.

Could he be dangerous if he ever learns the importance of offense? Maybe. I suppose the same could be said of Muschamp.

Is any team with Jim Chaney ever going to win? Nope.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.