DJ Humphries exposes another Muschamp screwup?

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
For his entire career at UF Humphries played under weight. Even this past year he was still under weight and struggled with power rushers as he has done his entire career. He gets away from Muschump and suddenly he gains 12-15 pounds getting to 307 at the combine and possibly working his way into the first round according to many draft experts. What the hell? So all this time he had no problem getting to 300, despite the coaching staffs comments, it was just Muschamp's decision to play him under weight? I wonder how many other linemen struggled with weight or strength issues because of a bumbling coaching staff?

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
He probably finally stopped doing jumping jacks.

Attachments

• conv_2468.jpg
    conv_2468.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 28

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I bet Muschamp arranged for DJ to ingest a tape worm in order to guarantee that he wouldn't gain weight

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I doubt he goes in the first round. I would be shocked actually despite what the so called experts say. As far as the weight its hard to say but I doubt Muschamp or the staff told him to keep his weight down.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
This is the perfect I love what I see scenario when a guy is wearing shorts or pajamas. DJ Hump is on the all airport team or all hotel lobby team. They look like a million bucks in those places, but do not play like it. Now that is not to say that DJ Hump can't play in the NFL, he can, but all they have to do is turn on the film and they will see that DJ Hump plays like a late round pick!. Just remember Earl Okine looked like a hall a famer in street clothes, but when the ball was snapped, he could not place a lick!

WillGetIn

Founding Member
Stalker
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Um, the guy hasn't been been playing and working out as much. Not unusual to gain weight during the offseason...

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
From the looks of it, crab boy was playing under weight for Jimbo.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't give a flying Shiite what Hump does in the NFL. He was a turnstile for us his entire career and that is all that matters.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Dammit....I was going to lead off with a point about linking to your sources when you make assertions, but now I can't find the one I read either so....

You are really reaching here. As much as I will put blame at WM's feet, this is not on him. Unless you expect him to shovel food in a kids mouth with a scale next to the table such that they can't leave until they obtain a certain weight...the player has to own his calorie balance, how much to eat for weight versus what he's losing in practice and games. There are S&C coaches, if not dietary coaches, instructing the kids on what THEY should be doing to manage themselves. This is NOT on WM.

Secondly, the article I can't find stated that while this is a large weight gain for him, it is not unusual for player to be able to gain weight outside of the season. In season, players have a hard time maintaining weight, especially your starters and stars (such as Humphries) given the practices and games. So, again, look at the full picture - DJ has had down time (lack of calorie burn on par with in-season) and the opportunity to eat and eat and eat (can't say if it is good weight, or just fat, can we?).

This is on DJ, not WM.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Fact: Hump played under weight his entire career. He leaves and in a few months gains the weight he supposedly couldn't at UF. The Gainesville Sun, Gator Country and other sites wrote articles about his weight struggles. It was the biggest criticism of him by NFL scouts. I like Muschamp a lot. I think he is 10 times the man of a Meyer or Jimbo. He's just a poor head coach. I am speculating that the problem here is the staff's philosophical approach at weight training and conditioning. Is it a reach? By no means. Not trying to pile on an HC that is gone. I just found it interesting and figured I'd post.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Did you notice the thread about Jameis gaining weight after the season as well? Seems a common occurrence. People's reactions differ, but common occurrence.

As to it being a staff problem in terms of their philosophical approach....I can't rule anything out, especially with a staff that proved they couldn't evaluate or develop players. But, tbh, I doubt they gave Hump any direction beyond 'beef up, boyo' and he'd already been hearing that from anyone wanting to help him make the NFL. He's got to own it, IMO.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
WobbleGator;n179869 said:
Who cares?

WillGetIn;n179889 said:
Lots of people...

I'd bet maheo30 cares as much (or little, as the case may be) as I do....but we are starved for something to talk about. Heck, I even wandered into the political forum for a little bit I'm so bored. That's like trying to walk as slow as possible through the animal shelter in a meat suit - unwise, to say the least.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n179898 said:
Did you notice the thread about Jameis gaining weight after the season as well? Seems a common occurrence. People's reactions differ, but common occurrence.

As to it being a staff problem in terms of their philosophical approach....I can't rule anything out, especially with a staff that proved they couldn't evaluate or develop players. But, tbh, I doubt they gave Hump any direction beyond 'beef up, boyo' and he'd already been hearing that from anyone wanting to help him make the NFL. He's got to own it, IMO.

He wasn't the player he was hyped and we hoped he would be. From the body of work during his time here & other players development, a good majority of the fault can be placed on the staff. He had other off seasons where he didn't put on the needed weight.. now that he isn't under the control of WM he gains the weight necessary to play against the big boys, so it's not a stretch to put the blame on WM & staff

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I'm a draft junkie and found Hump's weight gain at the combine a bit shocking as everyone else did who covers the draft. He didn't live up to the hype precisely because of weight. I found this story fascinating on 2 fronts:

1. It might be shedding light on why we struggled so much in developing talent on the o-line.

2. It also provides hope for the future in that we really do have talent here. It was just an extremely incompetent staff.

I'm also starved to talk about anything gator and this is the only story out there at the moment.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Big time programs have several Registered Dieticians on their staff who prescribe min or max caloric intake for players, as the case may be. It ain't rocket surgery and is not left to chance or player whim.
Crikey, it's not like they are playing basketball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.