Do UF/UT OL star ratings matter?

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Generally 5 star players have a higher rate of success.

In the upcoming UT/UF game there will be three 5 star OLs. UF has Ivey. UT has Trey Smith and Drew Richmond at OT who were higher ranked than Ivey.

UT has TWO 5 star OL starters plus TWO 4 star OL starters and ONE 3 star OL starter.

UF has ONE 5 star OL starter. And FOUR 3 star OL starters.

Our DL has a more difficult challenge in the trenches than the UT DL does if you look at star ratings.

Last edited:

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Shape

On UT:

"Of the 34 guys listed to be one of the potential 22 starters on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball, only nine were ranked lower than a four-star on Rivals as recruits, spread out across seven different positions."

GatorSteve

Founding Member
Lounge Lizard
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
We haven’t really had an O-line that could consistently get a push since the Pouncey days. Strange that some OL that pretty much sucked here played in the league. Look at Halapio...I questioned why he was given a scholly in the first place. Three star out of Tampa. Coveted by powerhouses like FIU, Indiana and Southern Miss. Five years after he leaves UF, he is the starting center for the Giants.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We haven’t really had an O-line that could consistently get a push since the Pouncey days. Strange that some OL that pretty much sucked here played in the league. Look at Halapio...I questioned why he was given a scholly in the first place. Three star out of Tampa. Coveted by powerhouses like FIU, Indiana and Southern Miss. Five years after he leaves UF, he is the starting center for the Giants.

Well he was recruited by Meyer so that adds a little extra credibility

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I don’t know much about their roster. But generally, time in system and college level conditioning will override pure talent or star rating. I’d take a team full of well coached, veteran 3-4* OL’s over younger 4-5* guys who haven’t yet acclimated to this level.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Coaching....

leogator

May 5, 2018
I don’t know much about their roster. But generally, time in system and college level conditioning will override pure talent or star rating. I’d take a team full of well coached, veteran 3-4* OL’s over younger 4-5* guys who haven’t yet acclimated to this level.
And sometimes 5*s play like 3*.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Totally agree! Look at what Kentucky's OL, full of 3* do to our DL. Plus OL is the hardest position to evaluate in HS.
UK
LT 66 Watkins, Naasir RS FR 3* 2nd yr
LG 71 Stenberg, Logan RS JR 3* 4th yr
OC 52 Jackson, Drake RS SO 4* 3rd yr
RG 65 Stallings, Jervontius RS SR 3* 5th yr
RT 64 Asafo-Adjei, George SR 3* 4th yr
16 stars 18 yrs

Let's look at us
LT 73 Ivey, Martez SR 5* 4th yr
LG 64 Jordan, Tyler SR 3* 4th yr
OC 66 Buchanan, Nick RS JR 3* 4th yr
RG 74 Johnson, Fredrick SR 3* 4th yr
RT 65 Taylor, Jawaan JR 3* 3rd Yr
17 stars 19 yrs

So on paper we are only slightly better. We are officially in the bottom half of the SEC East.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
UK
LT 66 Watkins, Naasir RS FR 3* 2nd yr
LG 71 Stenberg, Logan RS JR 3* 4th yr
OC 52 Jackson, Drake RS SO 4* 3rd yr
RG 65 Stallings, Jervontius RS SR 3* 5th yr
RT 64 Asafo-Adjei, George SR 3* 4th yr
16 stars 18 yrs

Let's look at us
LT 73 Ivey, Martez SR 5* 4th yr
LG 64 Jordan, Tyler SR 3* 4th yr
OC 66 Buchanan, Nick RS JR 3* 4th yr
RG 74 Johnson, Fredrick SR 3* 4th yr
RT 65 Taylor, Jawaan JR 3* 3rd Yr
17 stars 19 yrs

So on paper we are only slightly better. We are officially in the bottom half of the SEC East.
UK's OL definitely had the advantage of time within their current system on UF. Playing early in the season during UF's new installation period helped UK even more. UF had a bunch of missed assignments.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
UK's OL definitely had the advantage of time within their current system on UF. Playing early in the season and UF's new installation period helped UK even more.
bird pumping. What a shocker

leogator

May 5, 2018
UK's OL definitely had the advantage of time within their current system on UF. Playing early in the season and UF's new installation period helped UK even more.
Yes, time in the system is very important, technique and communication wise. Our SRs have gone through 3 OL coaches. Plus ours missed the prep/practices associated with a bowl game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure bird can explain to us all the advantage South Alabama had also

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Offensive line is the one position that doesn’t need to heavily rely on star power. Even the best evaluators will tell you it’s the hardest position to evaluate especially at the HS level. Get guys with good feet and the size you want, and coach them up. But there’s a reason why you need more than 6 total Oline recruits in 4 years (dumbass Champ). 4-5 a year is the way to go.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

You forgot the part where he was working for a car dealership after being out of the league, before trying out for the Giants.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Offensive line is the one position that doesn’t need to heavily rely on star power. Even the best evaluators will tell you it’s the hardest position to evaluate especially at the HS level. Get guys with good feet and the size you want, and coach them up. But there’s a reason why you need more than 6 total Oline recruits in 4 years (dumbass Champ). 4-5 a year is the way to go.

Might be the most intelligent thing you have ever posted Slevin... I would like this more than once if allowed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator