Do we have enough defensive tackles for a true spring game?

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Or are we back to the chump days with offense vs defense and some weird point system.
Sorry can a mod edit the title to spring game please?

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No we probably don't. But that's OK because the spring game shouldn't be about annihilating our offense. The rules for the game always favor the offense anyway.

These freshmen better be ready.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We currently have 5 non-walk-on DT's going through spring practice: Bryan, Clark, Campbell, Polite and Desir-Jones. So, to answer your question: No.

But like J said, they'll make it work. We have one walk-on DT, so that would be 3 per team....and of course they can move some of our 245lb DE's inside for a few downs.

I still wish they had cross-trained another OL this spring. We'll likely see Riles over there in the fall....and Slaton (if he qualifies) and Conliffe, of course.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
For the spring "game" you only actually need two, after all only two play in our defense at a time. You could get along with just one. Now real games are a different question.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I get the sense they dont play 100 percent on the lines during the spring game anyway.

That wasn't always the case. They would go at it, though obviously the 3's and walkons wanted it a lot more. Now they tell them to go 50% and I think they give calls as to which DL is allowed to break free and pressure.

As far as I can tell, we don't practice contact special teams at all, you know, because of injury potential. Also because it would interrupt Nord's nappy time.

Last edited:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
They'll make it work and they all need the reps. Meatchicken won't be slacking off. These guys better take every advantage on practice as the can.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I get the sense they dont play 100 percent on the lines during the spring game anyway.
:shocked: Really, you mean we haven't used to the last two spring games to showcase whomever the coaching staff had as their starter for the following Spring. Nooooooo......

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They'll make it work and they all need the reps. Meatchicken won't be slacking off. These guys better take every advantage on practice as the can.

the Orange and Blue game hasn't been a real practice in 15 years.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've read that Michigan has less depth then we do.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

They don't have hardly any starters returning on the D Line but that is one place they have experience returning. That won't be a weak spot for them.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No we probably don't. But that's OK because the spring game shouldn't be about annihilating our offense. The rules for the game always favor the offense anyway.

These freshmen better be ready.

We have enough for the huge crowd of HUNDREDS that is going to show up for this Friday night farce. I can't remember there ever being less excitement around our Mighty Gators spring practices.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
They don't have hardly any starters returning on the D Line but that is one place they have experience returning. That won't be a weak spot for them.

That sounds real possible. Not to mention they've lost 21 of 22 starters.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So did Arkansas.

And they have superior talent and vastly superior coaching.

Correct. One thing with that Arky game Donkey.....I feel the game was over with LDR first offensive play, the pick 6. We were toast from then on. Not to mention that the noodle arm had not told anyone he was hurt. I think with Meatchicken there should be no surprises here. Harbalz is in a put up or shut up mode now. All new starters. So if we have to catch them now, it's probably the best time to do so. At this point sure they probably have better talent and perhaps coaching. I am just not one too sold on JH yet. And yes, Mac has a TON of work to do to raise our opinion level as well. But I see JH as one that will emotionally implode. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm glad we're facing Meatchicken when we are. I've marked this one on the calendar and will be there.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We have enough for the huge crowd of HUNDREDS that is going to show up for this Friday night farce. I can't remember there ever being less excitement around our Mighty Gators spring practices.
I agree. The crowd size will certainly tell the tale.

Pumpers have been spinnimg that 90%.... no 95%..... no 115% of Gators grads and fans, REAL Gator fans, support His Butterness and think he is really turning around the program.

We will see how full the stadium is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb