Dock and Seawall demo/rebuild

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Oh I've been trying to pay someone just to take care of this mess....No one wants to touch it because of Orange County permitting and DEP requirements....Over $6,000 plus "restorative aquatic plantings":jerkit: what the f vck is that.....

Just get some schitty aquatic plants at Walmart. Problem solved.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
OK I wasn't going to do this.
If you want to save money, here are two options to consider to discuss with the Corps or the County, whomever is the permitting party. Don't remove the existing mess you have with exception of the top course of block. This doesn't have to be hauled away, but could be placed at the base of the wall on the lake side.

Option 1- a Gabion wall is a welded wire basket designed to hold rock and used as both decorative and structural retaining walls. The baskets can be purchased, fixed in position immediately in front of the existing wall and filled with rock. Some of the basket manufacturers offer some engineering help. There are also contractors that build these.

Option 2- Homemade Gabion type wall- Purchase 16'x48" 4 Gauge welded wire feedlot panels with 4" openings from a supplier like Tractor Supply. Stand the panel about 12" in front of the wall and drive #5 rebar rods inside the face about 24" on center. Assuming your wall is going to be 48" tall, these vertical rods would be 6 feet long driven into the soil about 2 feet (just below the top of the wall). I would also run the same #5 rebar (20' lengths) inside horizontally at the same 24 inch spacing. Deadmen or tiebacks of rebar could also be used just below the finish grade at the top of the wall with a concrete ballast at the back side of the wall. All rebars are tied to the panel with galvanized tie wire. place the old block you removed from the top course of the existing wall in the inside bottom of the fence panel and then fill the balance of the fence/wall with a rock of your choice of appropriate size (remember your 4" fence panel opening). I would then place a similar stack of rock at the base of the wall at a height of about 24" that grades down at about 30% to the existing waterside finish grade. This work could be done by you and your son or you could hire a group of laborers that you supervise.
Fence panels, rebar,and tie wire under $1500.
I don't know what's available in stone on your area or it's cost including transport.
There is about 700 cubic feet of stone in the wall (not factoring in the course of block wasted at the bottom) and probably half that amount in the rock placed in front. 700cf + 350cf = 1050cf. Rock (depending on it's density) weighs approximately 133 lbs per cubic foot. Rock used to be sold by the perch; It is now sold by the ton. Perch (per) is a very old and traditional unit of volume (think medieval) for stone and masonry that is no longer used, defined as the volume of a stone wall 16.5 feet (one perch length) long, 18 inches high and 12 inches thick. This is exactly 24.75 cubic feet, or about 0.701 cubic meter. I had several large projects going at one time in SC using the same Tennessee fieldstone. To save money, I bought the rock direct from a quarry and hired a tractor trailer to haul. To be cute, when I called the order in, the quarry had no idea what the hell a perch was. :lol:
Based on these numbers you would have approximately 70 tons of rock.

Tractor Supply feedlot panel-https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/feedlot-panel-sheep-goat-16-ft-l-x-48-in-h

Here is an example of a Gabion wall as a landscape element
gabions_by_night.jpg

The riprap placed against the bottom of the wall in front would provide structural stability and blend the wall to the existing grade
2339c1e35e7c99f7cc9c15e03d9b250b.jpg

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
OK I wasn't going to do this.
If you want to save money, here are two options to consider to discuss with the Corps or the County, whomever is the permitting party. Don't remove the existing mess you have with exception of the top course of block. This doesn't have to be hauled away, but could be placed at the base of the wall on the lake side.

Option 1- a Gabion wall is a welded wire basket designed to hold rock and used as both decorative and structural retaining walls. The baskets can be purchased, fixed in position immediately in front of the existing wall and filled with rock. Some of the basket manufacturers offer some engineering help. There are also contractors that build these.

Option 2- Homemade Gabion type wall- Purchase 16'x48" 4 Gauge welded wire feedlot panels with 4" openings from a supplier like Tractor Supply. Stand the panel about 12" in front of the wall and drive #5 rebar rods inside the face about 24" on center. Assuming your wall is going to be 48" tall, these vertical rods would be 6 feet long driven into the soil about 2 feet (just below the top of the wall). I would also run the same #5 rebar (20' lengths) inside horizontally at the same 24 inch spacing. Deadmen or tiebacks of rebar could also be used just below the finish grade at the top of the wall with a concrete ballast at the back side of the wall. All rebars are tied to the panel with galvanized tie wire. place the old block you removed from the top course of the existing wall in the inside bottom of the fence panel and then fill the balance of the fence/wall with a rock of your choice of appropriate size (remember your 4" fence panel opening). I would then place a similar stack of rock at the base of the wall at a height of about 24" that grades down at about 30% to the existing waterside finish grade. This work could be done by you and your son or you could hire a group of laborers that you supervise.
Fence panels, rebar,and tie wire under $1500.
I don't know what's available in stone on your area or it's cost including transport.
There is about 700 cubic feet of stone in the wall (not factoring in the course of block wasted at the bottom) and probably half that amount in the rock placed in front. 700cf + 350cf = 1050cf. Rock (depending on it's density) weighs approximately 133 lbs per cubic foot. Rock used to be sold by the perch; It is now sold by the ton. Perch (per) is a very old and traditional unit of volume (think medieval) for stone and masonry that is no longer used, defined as the volume of a stone wall 16.5 feet (one perch length) long, 18 inches high and 12 inches thick. This is exactly 24.75 cubic feet, or about 0.701 cubic meter. I had several large projects going at one time in SC using the same Tennessee fieldstone. To save money, I bought the rock direct from a quarry and hired a tractor trailer to haul. To be cute, when I called the order in, the quarry had no idea what the hell a perch was. :lol:
Based on these numbers you would have approximately 70 tons of rock.

Tractor Supply feedlot panel-https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/feedlot-panel-sheep-goat-16-ft-l-x-48-in-h

Here is an example of a Gabion wall as a landscape element
gabions_by_night.jpg

The riprap placed against the bottom of the wall in front would provide structural stability and blend the wall to the existing grade
2339c1e35e7c99f7cc9c15e03d9b250b.jpg
Don't you just know someone who wants to make a sh!t ton of money? Tell them to call me...After watching a plumber cut a 15ft. long trench through the floor(new tile) of one of my rentals today with a jack hammer finding a slab leak I'm primed to get f vcked. by just about anyone...:headslap:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Don't you just know someone who wants to make a sh!t ton of money? Tell them to call me...After watching a plumber cut a 15ft. long trench through the floor(new tile) of one of my rentals today with a jack hammer finding a slab leak I'm primed to get f vcked. by just about anyone...:headslap:
Here's a good way to look at the floor problem. Since the floor tile is new, matching replacement tiles should still be available.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My guess is you completely missed this thread? I mean, it's actually titled "Slab Leak".

http://gatorchatter.com/threads/slab-leak.11710/

You ever getting this wall project going? Looking forward to pictures.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
My guess is you completely missed this thread? I mean, it's actually titled "Slab Leak".

http://gatorchatter.com/threads/slab-leak.11710/

You ever getting this wall project going? Looking forward to pictures.
It's just not as easy as it sounds NV. The permitting and DEP requirements(both country AND city) are such a nightmare that most people don't want to touch it. I've talked to several people who supposedly build docks and seawalls and when I tell them where I live they tell me that they'll get back to me......I think some of these contractors don't have the required licensing/insurance to get past the governmental gauntlet. From what I've been told you're supposed to have some sort of "Longshoreman"(?) insurance for this type of construction. The first and only real true proposal we got about a year ago($58K) said he did have it and was the only person in the Orlando area that does. He may not have been lying....

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My buddy's dock on the St Johns was destroyed during Hurricane Mathew.

Before:
IMG_2168.jpg

Literally one day of work yesterday. 3 of us did this:

IMG_2169.jpg

Not bad for a bunch of drunk amateurs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member