Donkey and Itraz: Was Mullen’s offensive scheme what you were expecting?

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Please discuss. It’s late. I’m home. I’m sober. The offense I saw tonite seemed to fit the players, not the players being forced to fit Mullen’s previous system. The expected Mullen system offense I think I’ve heard you guys describing for months now didn’t seem to happen tonite. Of course, I may be completely wrong. I’m interested to hear your takes. Thanks!

Last edited:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Everyone knew that Mullen would throw more to build up Franks's confidence and experience with the system. He even said that the goal for the game was to build their confidence up and to let them have fun.

Mullen likes to open things up when they're winning, but his play calls are way more conservative when the game is closer. I think it's too soon to declare this is how Mullen will call plays this year. All that said, last night he called a great game and the team was finally fun to watch.

g8orbill

OldGator
Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2018
I thought Mullen chose plays he knew FF could do well
do we have a lot of work to do-sure but wasn't it fun watching a well coached team that played with discipline and constant effort

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Everyone knew that Mullen would throw more to build up Franks's confidence and experience with the system. He even said that the goal for the game was to build their confidence up and to let them have fun.

Mullen likes to open things up when they're winning, but his play calls are way more conservative when the game is closer. I think it's too soon to declare this is how Mullen will call plays this year. All that said, last night he called a great game and the team was finally fun to watch.
We didn't throw anymore last night than we did last year. What we did different was execute the plays.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I, for one, was very impressed with the game plan. I absolutely hate the option portion of the spread/option as every time your QB runs the option he is one DE or LB'er away from not playing another play. I was always taught if the QB runs the option whether he pitches or keeps - CRUSH HIM...

I was not happy Franks was named the starting QB as I thought he sucked badly last season but, he played very well last night. Let's hope that improvement continues throughout the season!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Please discuss. It’s late. I’m home. I’m sober. The offense I saw tonite seemed to fit the players, not the players being forced to fit Mullen’s previous system. The expected Mullen system offense I think I’ve heard you guys describing for months now didn’t seem to happen tonite. Of course, I may be completely wrong. I’m interested to hear your takes. Thanks!
No. Just posted in another thread but I think they just didn't want to run much power stuff between the tackles, either because he is confident, bc he didn't want to get people hurt, or bc he just wanted to work on FF's confidence. There were a couple of plays when Scarlett took the sideline instead of abusing someone for a yard or two more as he has always done in the past.

Fun game. How long has it been since we had a fun game?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We didn't throw anymore last night than we did last year. What we did different was execute the plays.
Yeah, but we didn't throw stupid, completely predictable stuff last night. Didn't do things that made our QBs job exponentially tougher like throwing play action on third and ten when we know the other team is blitzing and won't be affected by the play action in the slightest since they know it is fake.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Surprised no one made note of how much we spread the ball around. A lot of guys got involved.

Screenshot_2018-09-02-10-18-54.jpg

leogator

May 5, 2018
I though the game was called extremely vanilla. Even the QB runs were relatively safe calls. It's fine with me. I have to watch the replay again but I thought that CSU was stacking the box on first down daring us to throw. Does Franks have the mental wherewithal to run a true RPO where he sees that they stacking the box and instead of running it he pulls up and slings it?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That pass to Kemore was a work of art. Great play too. Funny that the commentator didn't recognize it and thought FF missed the receiver going deep.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that we did a much better job executing plays, but we threw the ball a lot more than normal in the first half. We had about twice as many pass plays as run. Then in the second half we were mostly run.

Cozumel Gator

Living in paradise, streaming all games
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2016
No. Just posted in another thread but I think they just didn't want to run much power stuff between the tackles, either because he is confident, bc he didn't want to get people hurt, or bc he just wanted to work on FF's confidence. There were a couple of plays when Scarlett took the sideline instead of abusing someone for a yard or two more as he has always done in the past.

Almost 10 years donkey. I was smiling last night DURING the game.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Early in the game the O line was playing pretty pedestrian but on one of the pulling plays Davis would have been off to the races if he just made his cut a split second sooner when the hole was opening.

Franks at least read the DE properly on a few of his runs.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Surprised no one made note of how much we spread the ball around. A lot of guys got involved.

Trask got screwed on his rushing stats....when McCoy sailed the ball 8 feet over his head on the first snap of his career....for a 16 yard loss.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
It was step and all I could ask for. Now we get to build on that against a maybe tough but not great by any stretch Kentucky team, hopefully we pass that test with flying colors. Then we keep building until the real measuring stick in Jacksonville.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Pretty much is was what I expected. I was a bit surprised that UF struggled to run a bit early, but after Davis and others got in and ran a bit I am chalking that up to playing Scarlett. The passes were they type we have seen in the recent decades, ie standard football coach approach to passing.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Trask got screwed on his rushing stats....when McCoy sailed the ball 8 feet over his head on the first snap of his career....for a 16 yard loss.
I dont think that counts anymore. He got sacked twice on that second drive. So +12 (Td) minus the two sacks equals seven yards rushing.

Espn says the bad snap was scored as "(12:49 - 3rd) TEAM run for a loss of 16 yards to the ChaSo 30 TEAM fumbled, recovered by Fla Kyle Trask"

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I dont think that counts anymore. He got sacked twice on that second drive. So +12 (Td) minus the two sacks equals seven yards rushing.

Espn says the bad snap was scored as "(12:49 - 3rd) TEAM run for a loss of 16 yards to the ChaSo 30 TEAM fumbled, recovered by Fla Kyle Trask"
AgonizingBowedHoneybadger-size_restricted.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator