Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The first one about college coaches made me think how lucky we were to have one of our own, SOS, coach us so well; but also how it makes being the next guy in line, who isn't an alum, that much more difficult. Meyer, who was very successful here, seemed to eventually melt under the fans' expectations, partly becasue of Spurrier's success and partly becasue he was not really a Florida man IMO. Whether you agree or not, perhaps a combination of getting farther from SOS and having a guy be highly successful will redefine our expectations in terms of where the that guy comes from.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for the response. I really think that Urban was not mature enough to do the job that he had. He is way too sneaky and really is not that great of a leader. I also think that he had a great staff that contributed greatly to the success that we had in his era. Some of our issues currently are caused by a staff that has not been that great and issues left over from Urban forgetting to keep control of his program in an attempt to continue success with lesser players and coaches.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that Meyer was probably a little immature during his stint at UF, but there's no denying his ability as a coach. He's got a proven track record for success wherever he's been. Great on-field coach and a good recruiter. Managing a program is where he needs to improve.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agree...lack of managing the program was what ultimately drove him out, I believe. How long before troubles mount at OSU and he falls apart again?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TallyGator;n5377 said:
Agree...lack of managing the program was what ultimately drove him out, I believe. How long before troubles mount at OSU and he falls apart again?

5 years.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I agree but perhaps he has learned better how to act. Talking about your former teams seems to be something I would not do, he has plenty of work to do to meet OSU expectations even with their weak conference.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n5379 said:
Sounds about right to me too. Guy can coach and recruit, but runs out of steam and loses focus in a few years.

Also, anyone care to paraphrase those articles? I really don't want to give GatorSports any clicks after how they treated us.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorSports... what's that? :headshake:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't get how you guys can say meyer burns out after 5 years. He went 8-5one year. If he was still our coach do you guys honestly think we would have fallen this much? Guys please, the guy won games and left some nfl players on the roster . This isn't a muschamp bashing post I'm just saying how can you say all these bad things about a guy that brought 2 championships and a lot of excitement to uf?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n6127 said:
I don't get how you guys can say meyer burns out after 5 years. He went 8-5one year. If he was still our coach do you guys honestly think we would have fallen this much? Guys please, the guy won games and left some nfl players on the roster . This isn't a muschamp bashing post I'm just saying how can you say all these bad things about a guy that brought 2 championships and a lot of excitement to uf?

How can I? Easy, he crapped on all of us on his way out. That affects how I feel about him now. Thanks for the wins Urban but "to hell with you!"

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
To be fair to Urban, which I hate doing, he had a lot of bad luck in recruiting.It was his own doing really. Where Muschamp's staff has their own criteria, and we see kids pop up on the lists later on, Urban used the services as his guide. Looks like he does the same thing now...print off the recruiting services reports and recruit from there. In his years at UF, Meyer failed to assess character on a lot of kids, but more so, he failed to instill character in kids. At 18 y/o, kids can still see perspective and change. How many of us went to college and came away different people...many times significantly different. Meyer had so many kids transfer or never qualify it was as odd as our injuries last year. Meyers last few classes never really panned out despite lofty rankings, which is abnormal and pretty freakish. This is partly bad luck, but really a lot of lazy work on the recruiting trail. At the end of the day, he's still a son of a bitch

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with many in regards to Urban on both issues. Yes, he's a helluva coach and I'm extremely thankful for what he achieved for UF. He's also the dude that when the dumpsters got lit on fire, bolted. He can coach, recruit, and be successful. But much of the success should be attributed to his staff while at UF. As much of it should Mullen can be credited for helping Leak and tweaking the offense to help him be successful. Then Charlie Strong. Enough said there. He may do very well at the pOSU but I feel he'll never assemble a staff like that again. And if he does have a weakness in recruiting it assessing the character traits in players. He brought the players to UF. So along comes the attitudes and the behavioral issues. It is what it is. If the kids are going to behave that way he dang sure better be ready to deal with it. At that time it appears he couldn't tackle that issue.

As for Dooley, nothing new to see there. I would suspect that his body of work does not match or meet up to his pay.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Well one article explores the idea that all coaches are just employees and they will behave and follow the money. They are not really Gators and will say and do whatever they think best to move their career forward.

The other had 10 pretty good items from the last year. I do understand those who don't want to associate with the previous site. I try to understand that management is generally idiotic, and there are some good (at least one) people still employed there.

Since there has been an increase in output from Pat (who I greatly dislike as he responded to my criticism with personal attack sort of like L-Boy) I suspect that management has realized that he gets paid for very little of value.

It was mentioned about Urban's staff and the major assistants were mentioned. That staff went much deeper than just two very good ones. We had several position coaches that were very good to excellent.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n6127 said:

Because he has not shown he can stay at one program that long. He has a history of skipping out after a short amount of time at a program. No one is bashing his coaching ability because he is one of the best active coaches but he has issues maintaining a program.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n6264 said:
Because he has not shown he can stay at one program that long. He has a history of skipping out after a short amount of time at a program. No one is bashing his coaching ability because he is one of the best active coaches but he has issues maintaining a program.
Exactly. He's like the brightest star in the sky...fades fast.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, he's a working fool.

This week he's preparing us for our 6-6 season and the berth in the esteemed Liberty Bowl, because Memphis is wonderful in December. I just can't wait.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen said:
Who is this "Dooley" that you speak of?
I figured you would like Drooley and Andrieu.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n6551 said:
Yeah, he's a working fool. This week he's preparing us for our 6-6 season and the berth in the esteemed Liberty Bowl, because Memphis is wonderful in December. I just can't wait.
That's all he cares about...what events he gets to attend, how close the hotels are to the venues and what's to eat. I can't believe he draws a paycheck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb