Door Slamming

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So my new biggest pet peave at home is the damn kids slamming the door coming into the house. No amount of beatings seem to correct this problem. Is there any hardware solution for this?

I am not looking for something to automatically close the door.

Also, I do not want a pneumatic door closer that you would find on a screen door or on the exterior door at your office.

All of my cabinet doors have a damper like this: But this thing does not seem to exist for big doors.
41VpCx7HZmL.jpg

What about a friction hinge.... certainly they have those. Not that I can find.

Maybe mount 30 of those cabinet door dampers. :lol:

Or maybe this is business opportunity. :scratchchin:

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
or maybe you should lock it behind them when they go out and not let them back in until the sun goes down, like our parents did :thumbup:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Try putting a picture on the door to remind them.....One like this might help to re enforce the beatings.
Genuine-Cow-Leather-Belts-WT01769-.jpg

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
A supposed dad that can't keep his two daughters from slamming the door? :shakehead:

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A supposed dad that can't keep his two daughters from slamming the door? :shakehead:
That ship has already sailed! The nine year old got her arm broke and she still slams it with the other arm. :bwahaha:

If she breaks the other arm, Family Services might see a pattern.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Is it their bedroom door, or all doors?
Also, is it when they are having an attitude or they are just young and don't realize they are slamming them?

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Is it their bedroom door, or all doors?
Also, is it when they are having an attitude or they are just young and don't realize they are slamming them?

No, this is not some kind of acting out or misbehaving. I would knock their fuking front teeth in. There are some things I pray that I could handle better.... but dealing with my children for disrespecting me or mom is not one of them.

So this is specifically a very heavy door that leads to outside. The door probably weighs 75 pounds and the wind catches it easily. It's very easy for it get momentum. It happens to all of us really. And it shakes the whole house if it really gets going.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No, this is not some kind of acting out or misbehaving. I would knock their fuking front teeth in. There are some things I pray that I could handle better.... but dealing with my children for disrespecting me or mom is not one of them.

So this is specifically a very heavy door that leads to outside. The door probably weighs 75 pounds and the wind catches it easily. It's very easy for it get momentum. It happens to all of us really. And it shakes the whole house if it really gets going.
Aren't your kids pretty young?
It's really more of an issue with the door, than the kids, as they might not have the ability to control it.

You're right the thing you posted is really mpre for cabinet doors than full doors.
I thought they made some hinges that help resists that, but I'll have to look that up.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Aren't your kids pretty young?
It's really more of an issue with the door, than the kids, as they might not have the ability to control it.

You're right the thing you posted is really mpre for cabinet doors than full doors.
I thought they made some hinges that help resists that, but I'll have to look that up.

Everything I find is more for an automatic door closer. And that would actually be fine if it also slowed the door down. I am surprised I cant find a hinge that does this. I honestly think the only solution is an air pneumatic thingy (like every screen door has), but was hoping to avoid that. Or if the make a bigger damper.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Everything I find is more for an automatic door closer. And that would actually be fine if it also slowed the door down. I am surprised I cant find a hinge that does this. I honestly think the only solution is an air pneumatic thingy (like every screen door has), but was hoping to avoid that. Or if the make a bigger damper.
Yea, just doing a quick search, something more like a commercial door closer is the only real option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator