Drew Hughes

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think we've talked about this guy much, at least not as much as we should. I know the Bowl loves him because he ran into Alabama and "stole" some DBs from UAB late last year, but I'm wondering how we should assess the job being done by one of the few people on staff whose only job is to recruit? The person whose job it is to oversee all the other people whose only job is to recruit?

Hughes was surely going to fix what ails Gator recruiting when he were brought in to the Gators in 2014. Did you know that Hughes interned with Saban. Very important to remember that. Saban recommends that everyone hire Dooley, Hughes, Nusschamp or someone else equally proficient at their jobs. Hughes was also big buddies with Kirk Callahan the other half of the recruiting superhero tandem.

Give a big round of applause for Drew Hughes, ya'll.

He sure does deserve it.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I said he should be fired last year after signing day. Nobody even acknowledged my post :alone:

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Drew Hughes sucks at his job. He's not good, he's not average, he's not even on par w/ his peers. He's extremely below average and near the bottom of his peer group. He should be ashamed of the job he's done and should consider a new line of work, new career path. He will go down as a significant part of the downfall of UF football. I dare someone on this forum to defend this schmuck.

Kyng

Founding Member
The Freak
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2014
Founding Member
Look here's the bottom line fellas. We recruited our tails off. All them guys we got...they are going to be heckuva players for us. And the best part about it is. They wanted to be Gators.

Steve Carlson

Jan 10, 2017
I feel like this is a little harsh on drew... in his defense he butts heads with the coaches over his advice and players he wants to pursue harder, and he's built pretty strong relationships with high schools which is his job. He didn't leave bama cuz of being pushed out, he left to move up the ladder of jobs. Director of player personnel and his guys can only do so much to identify players and suggest those players to the coaches. And from the looks of it, he's identified a good bit of 3*'s that have shown potential. If you want to fire everybody including him, I can't fault your opinion there. But to put most blame on him just isn't really fair

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I feel like this is a little harsh on drew... in his defense he butts heads with the coaches over his advice and players he wants to pursue harder, and he's built pretty strong relationships with high schools which is his job. He didn't leave bama cuz of being pushed out, he left to move up the ladder of jobs. Director of player personnel and his guys can only do so much to identify players and suggest those players to the coaches. And from the looks of it, he's identified a good bit of 3*'s that have shown potential. If you want to fire everybody including him, I can't fault your opinion there. But to put most blame on him just isn't really fair
Thanks Drew

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
At this point we got what we got til we don't got it no more, yuck yuck, time will tell

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But to put most blame on him just isn't really fair
Lol. Right. Its not the recruiting coordinators fault that recruiting has been terrible for three, really four, years.

If the recruiting coordinator is responsible for, and to be held accountable for, poor recruiting, who is?

Finding some leftover 3 star shyt in Alabama that neither school there wanted isnt even close to doing a goos job at UF. In any event Florida isnt a 3 star program. This isnt UAB.

You talk about rleationships with high school.coaches and theres almost zero evidence of that, other than coaches from Alabama.

Hughes will be gone soon enough though with Buterteeth so it doesnt much matter.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Look here's the bottom line fellas. We recruited our tails off. All them guys we got...they are going to be heckuva players for us. And the best part about it is. They wanted to be Gators.
That sounds exactly what that lazy moron will say.

I feel like there needs to be a couple of and yets.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I have come to the point where I only care about one thing regarding our football team: Whatever it takes for Butters to be shown the door I am all in favor of, be it terrible recruiting or the silly "caught cheating tape rumor". I do not have to wish for a crummy product on the field b/c Butters has already proven he is masterful at that.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
I don't think we've talked about this guy much, at least not as much as we should. I know the Bowl loves him because he ran into Alabama and "stole" some DBs from UAB late last year, but I'm wondering how we should assess the job being done by one of the few people on staff whose only job is to recruit? The person whose job it is to oversee all the other people whose only job is to recruit?

Hughes was surely going to fix what ails Gator recruiting when he were brought in to the Gators in 2014. Did you know that Hughes interned with Saban. Very important to remember that. Saban recommends that everyone hire Dooley, Hughes, Nusschamp or someone else equally proficient at their jobs. Hughes was also big buddies with Kirk Callahan the other half of the recruiting superhero tandem.

Give a big round of applause for Drew Hughes, ya'll.

He sure does deserve it.
The whole staff a$$....that includes the people working in the offices...support staff...training staff...and anyone else that's apart of this bull$hit!!!!

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm gonna say if, and that's a big "if", the decision is made to fire Mac, I sincerely hope they fire everyone associated with the football program and start fresh with all new people. We will need a complete overhaul from top to bottom. Hopefully not filling any spots with ANY former Saban assistants. I know it's completely crazy talk, but it almost seems like everyone who ever worked for Saban comes here and does everything they can to destroy our program. It's almost like Nicky is paying them to come here and sabotage us...

anger-cry-crying-girl-makeup-Favim.com-231346.gif

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm gonna say if, and that's a big "if", the decision is made to fire Mac, I sincerely hope they fire everyone associated with the football program and start fresh with all new people. We will need a complete overhaul from top to bottom. Hopefully not filling any spots with ANY former Saban assistants. I know it's completely crazy talk, but it almost seems like everyone who ever worked for Saban comes here and does everything they can to destroy our program. It's almost like Nicky is paying them to come here and sabotage us...

I agree 100%.

We are now part of the pathetic masses that think all they have to do is find somebody that sniffed Saban's a$$ before, and he will be successful. I have said this before but it reminds me of the obsession with Spurrier 20 years ago. You can hire all of the Spurrier assistants you want but there is only one SOS.

Here's a crazy idea.......Why don't we actually do some objective research on any and all potential candidates and go for a true innovator like the last two successful coaches we have had.
I know it's crazy but I can still remember when UF had a pair when it came to coaching decisions.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I know it's crazy but I can still remember when UF had a pair when it came to coaching decisions.
Did you know Fooley and spend any significant time around him? He is an average at best intellect. His plan was simple, find a championship coach, and hire his assistant. It worked w Dunovan bc Dunovan never had to beat his mentor Petino. Petino had already moved on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator