Driskel says football fun again after getting out of Florida

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/stor...iskel-football-fun-transfer-la-tech/24958659/

Well it will definitely not be the pressure cooker football is at UF.

RUSTON – Between a broken leg, going from the starter to the bench and the fans wishing for him to leave, former Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel, who is normally an upbeat guy, used to have a hard time keeping a smile on his face.

During just three spring practices at Louisiana Tech, he already feels like a different person.

"I'm getting a sense that football is going to be fun again, and that's really what I needed was a fresh start and that's what I'm getting here," Driskel said after Monday's practice.".............

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Being a second stringer on a Sunbelt team probably is much less stressful.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n197300 said:
Being a second stringer on a Sunbelt team probably is much less stressful.

That guy in front of him didn't play well last season if I remember correctly when he did come in. The starter that left had huge numbers but this may be someone that Driskel can battle with.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure any QB no longer playing for Will Muschamp has to be relieved.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
The million dollar question will always be: "Who was to blame for our pathetic offense over the last few years - Muschamp or Driskel?"

Even though Driskel obviously struggled with even simple plays, I still think 99% of quarterbacks would've sucked under Muschamp.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
QueenCityGator;n197346 said:
The million dollar question will always be: "Who was to blame for our pathetic offense over the last few years - Muschamp or Driskel?"

Even though Driskel obviously struggled with even simple plays, I still think 99% of quarterbacks would've sucked under Muschamp.

We may see this season I guess. I do think Driskel is maybe one of the few players that Muschamp wasn't the main cause of his problems. He just never seemed to have it. I did feel bad for him a little looking at it later because he had no control over Muschamp putting him out there.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I didnt think he had "it" either but I hope the kid lights it up this year and has a great time. Good kid and high character.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014

Derek Dooley thought football was fun at Louisiana Tech compared to Tennessee even though he didn't do squat at either place. Think about that for a moment. Some people have it. Some don't. Those that have it find a way to win no matter where they are. Think Terry Bradshaw.

Attachments

• conv_2779.jpg
    conv_2779.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 50

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I hope Driskel does well, but he didn't have the mentality to be a regular starter in the SEC.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n197282 said:
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/stor...iskel-football-fun-transfer-la-tech/24958659/

Well it will definitely not be the pressure cooker football is at UF.

RUSTON – Between a broken leg, going from the starter to the bench and the fans wishing for him to leave, former Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel, who is normally an upbeat guy, used to have a hard time keeping a smile on his face.

During just three spring practices at Louisiana Tech, he already feels like a different person.

"I'm getting a sense that football is going to be fun again, and that's really what I needed was a fresh start and that's what I'm getting here," Driskel said after Monday's practice.".............

Good luck Jeff.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
No longer playing for Muschamp is like blowing out a huge dump that you've been holding in for weeks after multiple meals at Las Margaritas. Hope JD does well at LA Tech

Sgt. Schultz

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2015
If I was him, I'd not be worried about Spring football, I'd be trying to resurrect my baseball career. I seem to recall there was some interest in him from pro baseball. I always thought he was an idiot for closing that door at Florida. It's always a good thing to have options, and it doesn't take brains to be a baseball player, unlike quarterback where you actually have to think. Baseball is a pretty good gig, you are paid better than in football, and you don't have guys trying to tear your head off. But he's probably blown that opportunity. Baseball is a game that requires a ton of reps, and you can't just stop playing for years. I guess that's true of any sport, and the only one I can think of who could do that was Ali, and even he was not the same fighter he was before his imposed exile from boxing, but he was so great that he could still be at the top of his profession.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
QueenCityGator;n197346 said:

Whatever part was Jeff, in my mind the blame goes to muschamp as head coach for letting, no, make that forcing, it to continue.. There was no joy on the offense for anyone playing for Muschamp. Muschamp, through his stubborn refusal to change QB. which I am sure he saw as caving to fan desires and ignoring his own superb judgement., made Driskel's football life ( and probably his campus and gville experience,) hell. He was merciless, because God forbid he should show what he would consider weakness by making a change from his master plan.

Glad to hear JD can get near a football field again without PTSD and even enjoy playing again.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Sgt. Schultz;n197427 said:
If I was him, I'd not be worried about Spring football, I'd be trying to resurrect my baseball career. I seem to recall there was some interest in him from pro baseball. I always thought he was an idiot for closing that door at Florida. It's always a good thing to have options, and it doesn't take brains to be a baseball player, unlike quarterback where you actually have to think. Baseball is a pretty good gig, you are paid better than in football, and you don't have guys trying to tear your head off. But he's probably blown that opportunity. Baseball is a game that requires a ton of reps, and you can't just stop playing for years. I guess that's true of any sport, and the only one I can think of who could do that was Ali, and even he was not the same fighter he was before his imposed exile from boxing, but he was so great that he could still be at the top of his profession.

pretty sure he signed an agreement a couple of years ago. Unless it was withdrawn, he can play if he wants. My understanding was when he signed it, it didn't mean he had to go into baseball after college, but has the option. Someone else here probably remembers the details.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Focus of the thread is Driskel. I wish him luck - had hopes placed on him that weren't fulfilled, by his ability or his coaches, but he gave what he had. For that I'm grateful and wish him the best.

One thought going through my mind as we kick WM a bit more is if he ever hands in his resume to a HBC position, I imagine we'd have a bunch of Gator fans willing to staple a back page to it showing what he did in 4 yrs at UF, and what depths the rebuilding had to overcome in his wake.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Gonna take the high road here and wish him the best. Good luck Jeff.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sgt. Schultz;n197427 said:

Yep some team signed him in the lower rounds but by taking this much time off it would probably be very difficult to ever make it out of the minor leagues. He should have kept playing baseball like you say.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I wish him the best, he was always a good kid and represented the university well, he just didn't have it. I hope he does great at La Tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator