Driskel Transferring to Duke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
GatorStud;n131131 said:
Leak is still one of my favorite Gator QB's. I can get a neck ache darting back and forth between Wuerffel-Leak-Tebow-Bell. Those are some good memories :lol:
I saw Reaves play (and even sos) but don't forget Mathews. SEC player of the year. Rex was probably the best passer of all. What he did to Maryland in the Orange Bowl was not real. The Heisman was his and stolen by voters for someone who's stats were no where near Rex's

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n131125 said:
If I am not mistaken CL had three different OFF coordinators in 4 years. I always thought CL was the perfect QB for SOS. And is one of the only non SOS qbs to leave yardage amounts in the top 5. He was a great kid and loyal to a fault. And it payed off in the end.

Same number of Offensive coordinators, but the qualtiy of those coordinators were much, much better than the ones Driskel has had. Leak in my opinion was a smarter and a much better natural passer than Driskel was well with coordinators that knew how to use those skills.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Big difference between Leak & Driskel and the coordinators they had. Driskel may be the better athlete that can run but Leak was a much smarter QB and more comfortable in the pocket as well. The coordinators Leak had truly schemed to his abilities. The big thing was Leak was so much more aware and knew what he was doing as a QB. Driskel just does not have that awareness or you could say the smarts to get the whole picture. Leak could hit that deep ball. Sure it helped too that he had WR's that could catch.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see Driskel ever playing the position well. He would be smart to just try baseball full time.If he waits to much longer to try baseball his chance of ever making the big leagues will go down a lot.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
TheDouglas78;n131079 said:
Leak had better coaches than Driskel every had. Not saying Driskel is a great quarterback, but comparing who Driskel had and who Leak had is night and day.

The original point that was made was about the number of coaches and instability of staff. Quality of coaches is debatable. Drizzle sucking is not debatable.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Caloosahatchee;n131104 said:
And your point is? Honestly tell me that half these guys aren't that bright. I graduated from UF solo. They have tutors, teaching assistance, every leg up you can imagine as a student. Yes, he ain't that bright, yes it's not uncommon, yes he's unusually limited mentally for a qb, and YES HE CAN graduate. Don't make this into more than it is.... even Rapeis will graduate if he stays. Ever heard HIM talk?

It's getting harder and harder for the "mentally challenged" athlete to excel at the position, esp in a structured setting. Jimbo's allowed Winston to improvise at will and it's paid handsomely for FSU, but it's a high-risk proposition that often leads to turnovers. Whether or not NFL general managers see it that way with Winston remains to be seen, but my guess is they will.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
I have no idea how smart( or not) Driskel is, but I never figured it was his intelligence. He always seemed to me to have tunnel vision. When the situation heated up, he got deer in the headlights syndrome.

I can understand at one level why he may leave...to be ensured to get PT. But on the flip side, what is the point in going to some ****ty lower level competition school, even if he tears it up? Is he thinking he is still NFL material, and that is going to be the path to get him there? I could see him going somewhere that runs a more run oriented spread option - perhaps that would work better for him.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
L-boy;n131518 said:
I have no idea how smart( or not) Driskel is, but I never figured it was his intelligence. He always seemed to me to have tunnel vision. When the situation heated up, he got deer in the headlights syndrome.

I can understand at one level why he may leave...to be ensured to get PT. But on the flip side, what is the point in going to some ****ty lower level competition school, even if he tears it up? Is he thinking he is still NFL material, and that is going to be the path to get him there? I could see him going somewhere that runs a more run oriented spread option - perhaps that would work better for him.
Maybe he justs wants to play instaed of hold a clipboard in his senior year. :dunno:

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
TheDouglas78;n131079 said:
Leak had better coaches than Driskel every had. Not saying Driskel is a great quarterback, but comparing who Driskel had and who Leak had is night and day.

Please stop with the coaches argument. Comparing Driskel to Leak on any level is night and day. Chris Leak holds the all-time UF career passing yardage record of 11,213 career yards and is on every short list I've seen of the five best QBs to ever play the position at Florida. He also won three state high school championships in NC. That said, I thank Jeff for his efforts at Florida as a Gator and wish him the best with his baseball career.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Driskel ain't gonna play baseball. He's got a way better chance at running the option somewhere else or learning a new position. He's not going to just pick up a bat after 4 years and be able to hit collegiate or minor league pitching.

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
t-gator;n131883 said:
Driskel ain't gonna play baseball. He's got a way better chance at running the option somewhere else or learning a new position. He's not going to just pick up a bat after 4 years and be able to hit collegiate or minor league pitching.

He's already under contract with the Red Sox. Never say never.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mainland_Buc_75;n131875 said:
Please stop with the coaches argument. Comparing Driskel to Leak on any level is night and day. Chris Leak holds the all-time UF career passing yardage record of 11,213 career yards and is on every short list I've seen of the five best QBs to ever play the position at Florida. He also won three state high school championships in NC. That said, I thank Jeff for his efforts at Florida as a Gator and wish him the best with his baseball career.

So there was no difference in coaching. No one is arguing that Leak was more ready coming into college than Driskel. Leak has a great football mind and is one of the greatest quarterbacks to every play here. But to say there was no difference in the quality of coaching, which is what I was responding to, is a joke.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n132333 said:
So there was no difference in coaching. No one is arguing that Leak was more ready coming into college than Driskel. Leak has a great football mind and is one of the greatest quarterbacks to every play here. But to say there was no difference in the quality of coaching, which is what I was responding to, is a joke.

Chris Leak's best coach at UF was Larry Fedora, the same Fedora that was ridiculed and jeered by many fans while he was here. Driskel was coached by supposed QB guru Charlie Cheezburger, former QB Brent Pease and another supposed QB guru who came with ringing endorsements from the Mannings in Kurt Roper.

The difference between Leak and Driskel is that one of them possessed the brain to play football at a high level. I'll let you figure out who that was.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I Have No Friends :(;n132366 said:
Chris Leak's best coach at UF was Larry Fedora, the same Fedora that was ridiculed and jeered by many fans while he was here. Driskel was coached by supposed QB guru Charlie Cheezburger, former QB Brent Pease and another supposed QB guru who came with ringing endorsements from the Mannings in Kurt Roper.

The difference between Leak and Driskel is that one of them possessed the brain to play football at a high level. I'll let you figure out who that was.

Larry Fedora, is probably the best OC we have had since Spurrier, and until UNC was a pretty decent (not great) head coach. We all know who Weis is, a guy who should stay in the NFL, doesn't appear to have the ability to teach at all. Pease outside of one year at Boise State running Harsin's offense has always had offenses ranked in the 80+ area. Roper is a guy who we don't know who he is, a guy who followed Cutcliffe and ran Cutcliffe's schemes. Leak started with Zaunbrecher who was his worst OC and on par with the best Driskel had. Fedora who was inappropriately ridiculed here because he wasn't Spurrier, but in hidsight was pretty damn good under the Zook. Then Dan Mullen a guy I'm not too high on, but is far better than anything that we have had the last 5 years.

Leak was a smarter quarteback, which isn't being debated. The question was the quality of offensive coaching staffs during their time here. Leaks quality of offensive coaching was 1000 times better than anything we have had the last 5 years. Leak was by far a smarter and more college ready qb than Driskel. Leak is still be incorrectly undervalued by the majority of Gator Nation. But that isn't what the discussion I'm answer was about.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Sorry if I missed this somewhere but is JD still with the team thru the bowl? Kind of changes the depth chart for the bowl if not.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n132480 said:
Sorry if I missed this somewhere but is JD still with the team thru the bowl? Kind of changes the depth chart for the bowl if not.

Through the bowl.

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
TheDouglas78;n132333 said:

Leak was more ready coming into college, he was smarter, more accurate, and a better leader. Can you imagine Driskel going into Death Valley as a freshman defeating LSU's eventual national championship team? Neither can I. I'm not saying there was no difference in coaching quality; I'm saying with the same coaches Driskel had, Leak would have still been the much better QB in my opinion. To say otherwise, imo, is the Joke.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mainland_Buc_75;n132569 said:
Leak was more ready coming into college, he was smarter, more accurate, and a better leader. Can you imagine Driskel going into Death Valley as a freshman defeating LSU's eventual national championship team? Neither can I. I'm not saying there was no difference in coaching quality; I'm saying with the same coaches Driskel had, Leak would have still been the much better QB in my opinion. To say otherwise, imo, is the Joke.

And who is saying that? You are trying to change the nature of the conversation. You are trying to argue against a point using something that is not part of the conversation. Unless you believe the coaching the last 4-5 years has been better than what Leak had? Is that your argument?

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
TheDouglas78;n132574 said:
And who is saying that? You are trying to change the nature of the conversation. You are trying to argue against a point using something that is not part of the conversation. Unless you believe the coaching the last 4-5 years has been better than what Leak had? Is that your argument?

I'm not trying to change anything. Including your mind. Leak was a better than QB than Driskel. Period. You can add or subtract any caveats you wish to feel better if you disagree with my opinion. Had they played on the same Gator team in the last four years, Leak beats Driskel out for the starting job. Is that clear enough for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator