Driskel

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dugaboy;n11280 said:
I say Turk, why would Grier redshirt? That makes no sense. Right now, we have no back up quarterback. Zilch. If Driskel breaks another leg, we are in deep scheisse. We need Grier to sparkle and get playing time in some games this fall. He throws rockets. As for Driskel hanging around after this year...I doubt that. If the kid has a good year, he is outa here.
Morningwood WILL BE the backup... at least until Chimp is fired.

Taking out the running QB Driskel to put in the running QB Treon doesn't make any sense, and it further solidifies the perception that we let Trey run because Driskel can't make reads.

Driskel is #1 and Wood is #2, that's what Chimp has said all along. Why do you think he's lying?

Hell, I doubt the other two even get any practice reps.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:
You don't think Harris has some packages this year while Grier redshirts?
Why? Just because some message board declared it? Coaches certainly have never said it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n11253 said:
I highly doubt Driskel survives the season without missing a start and Grier has the jump on Harris to be the # 2.

We are all optimistic. Some are optimistic that Driskel will be on the field and some are optimistic he'll be off. However, Harris isn't on the depth chart. Morningwood is #2.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This thread =
hr02885_brokenrecord.jpg

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorStud said:
This thread =
hr02885_brokenrecord.jpg
true, but what the heck else are we gonna talk about? It's the dead period.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator said:
Dugaboy;n11280 said:
I say Turk, why would Grier redshirt? That makes no sense. Right now, we have no back up quarterback. Zilch. If Driskel breaks another leg, we are in deep scheisse. We need Grier to sparkle and get playing time in some games this fall. He throws rockets. As for Driskel hanging around after this year...I doubt that. If the kid has a good year, he is outa here.
It's been well documented that Will and his dad wanted to go somewhere that would allow him a redshirt season. I'm sure, if needed, he would burn the redshirt.
Didn't last year with Staver. Would he really have looked any worse than Morningwood or an injured Murphy?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here is a quote from the article posted below:
Simplicity is the name of the game with Roper's spread offense. In addition to running a no-huddle, uptempo system, he also makes life a lot easier for his quarterbacks by putting less on their plate before the snap and during the play.
“He's going to split the field a lot with progressions and pre-snap reads, which is going back to the traditional way of running an offense,” former Florida QB Doug Johnson said. “It will let Jeff to just use the God-given ability that he has instead of trying to overthink things. So this system's just going to have more pre-snap reads to cut the field in half and keep progressions on one side of the field or the other instead of progressions that go all the way across the field. I think that's going to help Jeff a lot."

Driskel's biggest criticism is his decision making, but it looks like in this system he'll have fewer and simpler decisions to make. I think this will help him improve enough to make the offense as good as it needs to be. Driskel will never be another Danny or Tim, but he doesn't have to be that good in order for the offense to be effective.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator said:
Dugaboy;n11280 said:
It's been well documented that Will and his dad wanted to go somewhere that would allow him a redshirt season. I'm sure, if needed, he would burn the redshirt.
Probably not. Not sure how Brady would've done behind that joke of an OL late in the season.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n11299 said:
We are all optimistic. Some are optimistic that Driskel will be on the field and some are optimistic he'll be off. However, Harris isn't on the depth chart. Morningwood is #2.

I thought Grier was placed # 2 right before the Spring Game ? Maybe I am confused on that and he was just officially named # 3 but I think he will be # 2 probably by the start of the season.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator said:
Dugaboy;n11280 said:
The line was horrible, but Morningwood's arm strength even in non rush pre-game warm ups was suspect.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's no secret Grier's Dad wants him to RS a year. I'm pretty confident WM will let him unless something out of the ordinary happens like Driskel, Mornhinweg, and Harris are all three out of service. I also feel confident Roper will field a much improved offense this year even if Grier gets to keep his RS status for the full season. Grier redshirting should also help the 2 QBs from the same recruiting class situation with Grier and Harris. We can hope.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n11633 said:
It's no secret Grier's Dad wants him to RS a year. I'm pretty confident WM will let him unless something out of the ordinary happens like Driskel, Mornhinweg, and Harris are all three out of service. I also feel confident Roper will field a much improved offense this year even if Grier gets to keep his RS status for the full season. Grier redshirting should also help the 2 QBs from the same recruiting class situation with Grier and Harris. We can hope.

Why would you redshirt if you end up # 2 after camp with a starter that has been injury prone. That is a recipe for losing the eventual starting job to Harris if I ever saw one.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
NavetG8r;n11633 said:

Why would you redshirt if you end up # 2 after camp with a starter that has been injury prone. That is a recipe for losing the eventual starting job to Harris if I ever saw one.
Or after watching last season's line, it's a season of staying away from injury. While the linemen brought in with his class get a year under their belt.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator said:
Dugaboy;n11280 said:
Staver didn't report until fall so had 2 weeks before the season to practice and learn the playbook.Later in the season they asked him to burn his redshirt but he didn't want to for the last 4-5 games, he didn't think it was worth it to burn a full year for a partial season.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Are other teams with poor OLs only playing their lesser QBs ?

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am curious why some of you think that Driskel and the offense will make a quantum leap this season? Roper had 15 practices in the spring and he has around 20 practices on the fall to continue to implement the offense. Driskel has never shown he can carry this team and I have serious questions about the overall offensive player development over the past 3 seasons.

The Orange and Blue game was set-up to be a huge game for Driskel and he could not even throw for 200 yards in that game. The O & B stats: Driskel 19/33, 171 yards 1 TD and 1 sack with a long pass of 31 yards, Mornhinweg: 14/18, 149 yards, 2 TD and 1 sack and Grier: 8/15, 1 interception, 72 yards, 0 TD and 1 sack.

My opinion is that we need to hang 50+ on Idaho and Eastern Michigan in the first two games. Idaho and Eastern Michigan each gave up 40 points and over 9 times last season. Their combined record was 3 - 21 and we need to blow them out. Alabama will be the game to let us know where we stand this season.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar said:
Are other teams with poor OLs only playing their lesser QBs ?
Were not playing our lesser qb's either rog, nice try though, everyone who watched spring from local to Nat'l media sais Driskel looked the best. And according to most reports Skyler and Grier were about even though there are more upsides to both.The staff said #2 will be decided in summer, as for Harris why would he be at the top of the depth chart? the kid hasn't even practiced yet.And since Grier wants to red shirt if they can let him , let him.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Block the right people, pass down field to maintain the running lanes and game and sacks-early and often are the changes we need to see more than hanging 50 per say IMHO.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ergator920103;n11744 said:
I am curious why some of you think that Driskel and the offense will make a quantum leap this season? Roper had 15 practices in the spring and he has around 20 practices on the fall to continue to implement the offense. Driskel has never shown he can carry this team and I have serious questions about the overall offensive player development over the past 3 seasons.

The Orange and Blue game was set-up to be a huge game for Driskel and he could not even throw for 200 yards in that game. The O & B stats: Driskel 19/33, 171 yards 1 TD and 1 sack with a long pass of 31 yards, Mornhinweg: 14/18, 149 yards, 2 TD and 1 sack and Grier: 8/15, 1 interception, 72 yards, 0 TD and 1 sack.

My opinion is that we need to hang 50+ on Idaho and Eastern Michigan in the first two games. Idaho and Eastern Michigan each gave up 40 points and over 9 times last season. Their combined record was 3 - 21 and we need to blow them out. Alabama will be the game to let us know where we stand this season.

I'll answer your question. You may not agree, but I'll still share. One thing I like to add before I answer your question is that they did not play 15 min quarters in the spring game. If I remember correctly it was only 8 or 10 minutes. Anyways, if they had played a full 60 min game, then there is no doubt that Driskel would have had 200+ yards passing. Here's why I think they'll significantly improve:

1) Driskel's skillset and comfortability are better suited for this type of offense, and it is more simple to execute. While we may not have confidence in him now, he is still the most experienced QB in the East, and that is a good advantage to have. 2) Roper has a better track record at developing QB's and calling plays than Pease.His presence alone is an improvement. 3) Summers also has an excellent reputation as an O-line coach and his addition will be noticed. It also helps that he and Roper are on the same page. That was not true for Pease and Davis. 4) This is the currently the best O-line Muschamp has had as long as they stay relatively healthy. Depth isn't where it needs to be but it has improved significantly from last year.The quicker pass plays that Roper likes to call will also help with the O-line production.

5) This is the best group of RB's that UF has had in awhile. Taylor looks to have a breakout year, and Brown and Lane look to be solid contributors. 6) The addition of McGee is huge. He was one of the best TE's in the ACC last year, and Driskel loves throwing to the TE as evident in 2012 when he had Reed. Another plus is the he and Driskel are roommates and will develop a good rapport. 7) This is the most talented WR group in several years. The freshmen last year weren't ready, but it looks like from the spring game and reports that they have matured and will contribute. The senior leadership of Dunbar and Debose should also help. 8) This team has a lot of playing experience at every position thanks to the injuries. That benefited Mizzou last year, and will certainly benefit UF this year.

Also, they have player lead practices in the summer, and I'm sure the coaches have given them things to work on even though the coaches technically can't be around. They certainly will have a lot more than 20 practices to learn this offense. Also, I'm not going to put too much stock into the first two games since those will still essentially be practices but with greater consequences. Yes, they need to have the ability to score in the 30's at least, but if they are shy of 50, then that doesn't necesarilly mean doom and gloom either. They can still improve as the year goes on.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorStud;n11759 said:
Block the right people, pass down field to maintain the running lanes and game and sacks-early and often are the changes we need to see more than hanging 50 per say IMHO.
Those are the things that have to be done to score 50+...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.