Driskel's comments - hope for the new offense ?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
" It's a total 180-degree of thought process from where we were coming from on offense," Driskel said. "Before we were going for time of possession and controlled the ball a lot. Now we want to get in as many plays as possible."

That statement out of everything I heard yesterday at SEC Media days gives me some hope Muschamp has truly changed his ways concerning the offense

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Champ exerted his philosophy but I think Pease just plain sucked. Other than his one year as the OC of Boise State in an established offense on a senior laden team, he has outright sucked.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n14101 said:
I think Champ exerted his philosophy but I think Pease just plain sucked. Other than his one year as the OC of Boise State in an established offense on a senior laden team, he has outright sucked.

Disagree but we have already had that discussion. I don't think Pease is a good coordinator but he is probably average with a head coach not leaning on him a lot. The past few years of offense have had Muschamp's "philosophy" written all over them. The places Pease left previously as OC did worse on average the next season (total offense) than his last season at those places.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
So much has to change, and has changed, it seems impossible at times for this year to be a success. The Driskel we saw early last year, the entire offensive philosophy, coaches, etc. It looks like desperation, but I'm hoping for the best, and who knows, maybe Muschamp pulls it off brilliantly.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
That excites me too. And I think Pease was a lot of our problem, but if Muschamp has a brain he will let go of the offense. If we can hit 30 points a game I don't see us losing. We might be there.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Champ knows defense. He knows how to spot talent in the defensive coaching ranks. He's completely clueless on offense and being a new HC I think he was led astray on some advice. One of the most powerful quotes IMO came from Muschamp:

Q. As a player and assistant coach, you've had fairly good success every place you've been. How difficult was last season for you personally and was there anybody you sort of reached out to to sort of talk things out or communicate with?

COACH MUSCHAMP: Well, unfortunately all the guys I know real well will lie to me now so I can't really talk to them. I really draw from within. I think we have a very strong staff at the University of Florida for the things we need to do to be successful moving forward. In most situations, even when I was a defensive coordinator, making difficult decisions, go with my gut and do what we need to do to be successful.

I think when you lean on the Sabans, Meyers, and Fishers of the world you're going to get burnt.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n14097 said:
" It's a total 180-degree of thought process from where we were coming from on offense," Driskel said. "Before we were going for time of possession and controlled the ball a lot. Now we want to get in as many plays as possible." That statement out of everything I heard yesterday at SEC Media days gives me some hope Muschamp has truly changed his ways concerning the offense
He has no other choice but to change. The experiment has failed and if he doesn't realize by now that the scoreboard dictates the outcome, not TOP, then he'll be a great DC somewhere this time next year. I know I've been very critical, but I do hope he can turn it around and this will have all been a learning experience for him.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
kepler;n14105 said:
So much has to change, and has changed, it seems impossible at times for this year to be a success. The Driskel we saw early last year, the entire offensive philosophy, coaches, etc. It looks like desperation, but I'm hoping for the best, and who knows, maybe Muschamp pulls it off brilliantly.

The only quote by Driskel I didn't like was when he said he liked that the the new offense allowed him to run more especially when you are facing the best DB's in the country. Just thought it was being too truthful and it was almost like saying I get nervous when I have to do that when my first read isn't there.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:
Champ knows defense. He knows how to spot talent in the defensive coaching ranks. He's completely clueless on offense and being a new HC I think he was led astray on some advice. One of the most powerful quotes IMO came from Muschamp:

Q. As a player and assistant coach, you've had fairly good success every place you've been. How difficult was last season for you personally and was there anybody you sort of reached out to to sort of talk things out or communicate with?

COACH MUSCHAMP: Well, unfortunately all the guys I know real well will lie to me now so I can't really talk to them. I really draw from within. I think we have a very strong staff at the University of Florida for the things we need to do to be successful moving forward. In most situations, even when I was a defensive coordinator, making difficult decisions, go with my gut and do what we need to do to be successful.

I think when you lean on the Sabans, Meyers, and Fishers of the world you're going to get burnt.
I agree

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator said:
Gator Fever;n14097 said:
" It's a total 180-degree of thought process from where we were coming from on offense," Driskel said. "Before we were going for time of possession and controlled the ball a lot. Now we want to get in as many plays as possible." That statement out of everything I heard yesterday at SEC Media days gives me some hope Muschamp has truly changed his ways concerning the offense
He has no other choice but to change. The experiment has failed and if he doesn't realize by now that the scoreboard dictates the outcome, not TOP, then he'll be a great DC somewhere this time next year. I know I've been very critical, but I do hope he can turn it around and this will have all been a learning experience for him.
True - I really think if we went 8-4 last season he would have been hard headed and still stuck on his view of offense.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
GatorJ;n14101 said:

Disagree but we have already had that discussion. I don't think Pease is a good coordinator but he is probably average with a head coach not leaning on him a lot. The past few years of offense have had Muschamp's "philosophy" written all over them. The places Pease left previously as OC did worse on average the next season (total offense) than his last season at those places.
The offenses also did better on average before him.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n14101 said:

If you are in the bottom third of your profession 87.5% of your time at that position, you don't belong. Especially when the 12.5% you were good, you were calling another man's offense. He might be the Lane Kiffin of offensive coordinators. Now it didn't make it any easier that Muschamp agreed with his philosophy so didn't push him to get better.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hey this is good news to me. I know I'm a critical one but this is actually good news.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm keeping my expectations low. I would rather be surprised in a good way by our offense for once.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n14124 said:
If you are in the bottom third of your profession 87.5% of your time at that position, you don't belong. Especially when the 12.5% you were good, you were calling another man's offense. He might be the Lane Kiffin of offensive coordinators. Now it didn't make it any easier that Muschamp agreed with his philosophy so didn't push him to get better.

He moved the ball with Boise State as their WR coach and OC but I know that was 100% Peterson but Muschamp had nothing to do with the ultra conservative crap we ran here - it was basically just a 100% Pease issue.

Stats can show anything you want them to not even counting how outgunned Baylor and KY were in most of their games talent wise during those years.

I think Roper is clearly better than Pease but Muschamp owns a bunch of what happened on offense since he has been here. Hopefully he has learned his lesson.

2011 Boise State 481 yards/game
2012 Boise State 391 yards/game (year after Pease left) (-90 yards a game)

2005 Baylor 336 yards/game
2006 Baylor 341 yards/game (year after Pease left) (+5 yards a game)

2002 Kentucky 347 yards/game
2003 Kentucky 327 yards/game (year after Pease left) (-20 yards a game)

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've said it before but if we can just be mediocre to bad on offense and not the worst in the country we'll be very hard to beat. I'm obviously hoping (and half expecting) for much more.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
We haven't recruited as well on the offensive side of the ball as we have in the past, but we still have better than mediocre talent there. I don't think being mediocre is too much to ask. With our D that is all we need.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n14142 said:
He moved the ball with Boise State as their WR coach and OC but I know that was 100% Peterson but Muschamp had nothing to do with the ultra conservative crap we ran here - it was basically just a 100% Pease issue.

Stats can show anything you want them to not even counting how outgunned Baylor and KY were in most of their games talent wise during those years.

I think Roper is clearly better than Pease but Muschamp owns a bunch of what happened on offense since he has been here. Hopefully he has learned his lesson.

2011 Boise State 481 yards/game
2012 Boise State 391 yards/game (year after Pease left) (-90 yards a game)

2005 Baylor 336 yards/game
2006 Baylor 341 yards/game (year after Pease left) (+5 yards a game)

2002 Kentucky 347 yards/game
2003 Kentucky 327 yards/game (year after Pease left) (-20 yards a game)

If you're going to use stats to prove a point you should probably look alittle bit deeper into the reasons why. Boise st.'s lose of 90 ypg had everything to do with the qb and a majority of the offensive playmakers to the nfl than Pease. Likewise Kentucky's case was the Pillsbury throwboy and most of the o line leaving than pease.Pease has leant on the hc in all 3 of his previous jobs, it's pretty telling that Pederson wouldn't hire him as oc or qb coach but instead as wr coach. muschamp from the preseason last year was talking about and pushing a faster paced offense , unfortunately I think it's beyond Pease. Rewatch the games, there was no fluidity to Pease's game calling , at Boise the trick plays made sense in where and when they were called,at Fla ,they didn't.There were many times when he would pull Driskel and put in the wildcat when we were driving steadily down the field and all he accomplished was to kill the momentum of the drive,at Boise it made sense when they would pull Moore and go wildcat.The inference is clear that Pederson had a major say in the playcalling which is what most people have been saying. Muschamp deserves part of the blame without a doubt, he is the hc, But, look back at when fat boy was the oc, we were at 50-50 , in 2012 we were close to 50-50 again, that is Muschamps philosophy more than anything.And finally we will be running the ball a lot this year, Roper has said repeatedly that the passing game will set up the run and open up the field,look at his calling at Duke, rather than having or trying to have the run set up the passing game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator