DT Taven Bryan update

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We're going to need this kid to play a lot of snaps this year. Robbie's too lazy to get the updated weight (so he used last year's roster), but Bryan said he was over 300 in the spring.

Workout wild man

http://andreu.blogs.gatorsports.com/11366/workout-wild-man/

I recently interviewed two Florida football players on separate occasions and ended the question-and-answer sessions asking each player who the biggest workout warrior has been in the weight room this offseason.

Neither hesitated.

“Taven Bryan,” wide receiver Josh Hammond said.

“Taven, that’s a dog,” linebacker Kylan Johnson said.

So, obviously, the defensive tackle who is known as the Wyoming Wild Man on the football field is also somewhat of a maniac when it comes to pumping iron. The big defensive tackle just takes a more subtle approach to lifting weights than he does attacking opposing offensive fronts.

“He’s really quiet, so you don’t really hear him,” Hammond said. “He doesn’t make much noise, but if you just look and see the weight that’s on there and the amount of effort he’s putting out, he’ll lift some weight.”

Bryan is somewhat of a physical freak. He’s 6-foot-5, 293 pounds and runs like a linebacker. He’s also quick and a very strong young man. He has all the tools to be a dominant player. The knock on him has been that he lacks consistent effort. He dominates a play, then takes one off.

But the coaches have worked him hard to become more consistent — and the player he has a chance to be. He practiced and play with a much more consistent effort in the spring. In the weight room, he obviously isn’t taking any reps off. The impressive amount of weight he’s been lifting has caught everyone’s attention, according to Hammond and Johnson.

“He can move a mountain,” Hammond said.

“He’s a beast in that weight room,” Johnson said. “He really goes in there and takes it seriously. He lifts a lot of weight. He goes in there and does what he’s got to do and gets it done. He can be a wild man when he wants to be.”

Johnson is predicting a big breakout season in 2017 for the Wyoming Wild Man.

“He’s big and strong,” Johnson said. “He is real good. I think he’s going to come out and really show it this year.”

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
6-foot-5, weighs 300 lbs, strong as an ox and "runs like a linebacker". Why don't a remember a single play of his last season?

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
6-foot-5, weighs 300 lbs, strong as an ox and "runs like a linebacker". Why don't a remember a single play of his last season?
I remember in the SEC championship last season he body slammed a Bama rb. He reminds me of brad culpepper, my profile picture.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I remember in the SEC championship last season he literally body slammed a Bama rb. He reminds me of brad culpepper my profile picture.
Yeah, I'd turned off that game long before that "play".

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

I want to say he made a big play in the 2015 season against Vandy or FAU.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He had a big game against iowa.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Well, like him or not, he's our starting DT this year and he likely gets the lion's share of the snaps - along w/ Clark. I'd rather hear he's a workout "wild man" than hear he's been loafing around, getting fat, and is acting like he's still on the 2nd string....

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good for him and for the team. I hope he brings it on every play this year and work's em silly! We'll need him to be healthy and getting after it!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, like him or not, he's our starting DT this year and he likely gets the lion's share of the snaps - along w/ Clark. I'd rather hear he's a workout "wild man" than hear he's been loafing around, getting fat, and is acting like he's still on the 2nd string....
FWIW, I like him. I admit, I never thought he would amount to anything, as he was the quintessential project who did take three full years to develop. He is a two gapper and probably our best DL this year. We must pray he can stay on the field because there is nothing behind him but freshmen and 240-250 pounders.

He made many plays, gobbling up 2 linemen, keeping the LBs clean, which IS the right play for a DT in our scheme, . He will never be a sack guy and I know that people who don't know anything about football think that is all that matters on the DL.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
FWIW, I like him. I admit, I never thought he would amount to anything, as he was the quintessential project who did take three full years to develop. He is a two gapper and probably our best DL this year. We must pray he can stay on the field because there is nothing behind him but freshmen and 240-250 pounders.

He make many plays, gobbling up 2 linemen, keeping the LBs clean, IS the right play for a DT in our scheme, . He will never be a sack guy and I know that people who don't know anything about football think that is all that matters on the DL.

Nice words, Law. I agree. He's not flashy and he's made steady improvement. He's going to be a junior this year, so we've only seen two years of him and last year he was productive enough. He came in as an OL at 6'5 250....and they moved him to DL "temporarily" (from what I remember) and he stayed on that side of the ball.

I think he'll be just as you described and have a solid year.....and I'm certain he'll come back for his senior year (as he shouldn't be projected very high...if at all).

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
He's been on the field a little more each year he's been here which is a good sign. He's made his share of plays when he's been on the field and quite frankly sometimes some of the best plays a defensive lineman makes are ones we never hear about.....gap control and not playing out of position are the fundamentals of a solid defense. Hope he has a big year and he was certainly not a wasted scholly......

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb