Early Enrollee Profile: Campbell adds size to build on

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm glad we got this kid....and that he's on campus! He'll be in the DT rotation for sure:

http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Early-Enrollee-Profile-Campbell-adds-size-to-build-on-50470431

Early Enrollee Profile: Campbell adds size to build on

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida's early enrollees arrived on campus this week, and GatorBait.net profiles each to see where they fit into the equation in 2017.

DT Kyree Campbell (6-4, 320 lbs.)
Overview: Florida has a massive need at defensive tackle, so Campbell will have a chance to get on the field early. That said, he's a player who needs a lot of work, so he's most likely a depth piece at best for the 2017 season. That's fine, as long as he continues to develop.

*** Strengths: Size, Anchorability

You can't coach Campbell's size, and with a little time in a strength and conditioning program he could certainly become a force in the middle. The good news is his size for now has kept him from being pushed around. Whether that stands up to college linemen remains to be seen, but it provides a good building block to work with.

*** Weaknesses: Pad Level, Drive

Right now Campbell is getting by on just being bigger than most people. He pops up out of stance far too frequently, something that will prevent him from doing just about anything at the SEC level until he fixes it. It also makes it impossible to know whether he'll be able to generate pressure up the middle, because he rarely gets under someone's pads and drives through them, rather than simply slipping blocks of inferior players.

*** How He Fits: It's impossible to deny that Florida needs defensive tackles, so Campbell could play simply from a need standpoint. That said, we think in an ideal scenario he takes a redshirt and works extensively on his technique as the strength and conditioning staff fine-tunes his excellent size.

In any case, it's a nice add for Florida and a chance to mold a guy for the future.

*** Prediction: We'll go a bit against the grain, given the need at the position anyway, and say Campbell redshirts. Even with spring practice, there's simply too much for him to work on from a technique standpoint for us to be confident in him playing next fall. He needs a lot of work.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Prediction: We'll go a bit against the grain, given the need at the position anyway, and say Campbell redshirts. Even with spring practice, there's simply too much for him to work on from a technique standpoint for us to be confident in him playing next fall. He needs a lot of work.

I figured when we landed Campbell he was a project or just a$$ because not one of the elite programs was after him hard. If this scouting report is right he won't help us much if at all next season other than being a body and that's the exact opposite of the DT'S we needed to land this cycle. With the current $h*tshow at the position we needed instant impact players but with this staff those players aren't coming and their incompetence to recruit the position will unfortunately show up big-time next season.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Glad he is on campus. The one thing that I do feel good about is Rumph and Shannon will be all over making this kid ready to play. If pad level and push are part of the issue, that can be definitely worked on. What I want to see from him is being able to occupy and make 2 OLmen block him. Take some pressure of a thin LB corp. If he can plug the run game and make 2 block him. That frees someone up to rush or help with run support.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Prediction: We'll go a bit against the grain, given the need at the position anyway, and say Campbell redshirts. Even with spring practice, there's simply too much for him to work on from a technique standpoint for us to be confident in him playing next fall. He needs a lot of work.

I figured when we landed Campbell he was a project or just a$$ because not one of the elite programs was after him hard. If this scouting report is right he won't help us much if at all next season other than being a body and that's the exact opposite of the DT'S we needed to land this cycle. With the current $h*tshow at the position we needed instant impact players but with this staff those players aren't coming and their incompetence to recruit the position will unfortunately show up big-time next season.
That's the reason that so many of us were harping on the need for Jucos. It's ridiculous we got none

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Glad he is on campus. The one thing that I do feel good about is Rumph and Shannon will be all over making this kid ready to play. If pad level and push are part of the issue, that can be definitely worked on. What I want to see from him is being able to occupy and make 2 OLmen block him. Take some pressure of a thin LB corp. If he can plug the run game and make 2 block him. That frees someone up to rush or help with run support.
That's the reason that so many of us were harping on the need for Jucos. It's ridiculous we got none

Agree w/ all your takes on this kid.

Something to remember, this kid is 1 full year removed from HS so he will essentially be a redshirt-freshman (but playing as a true freshman). He has a full spring and 8 months in the program ahead of him. I don't expect him to redshirt unless he's grossly out of shape, incapable of playing D1 football, or the other kids ahead of him are prepared to play right away. I don't expect him to start, but to be capable of 10 snaps per game. At his size he should be able to hold his own, especially after coaching/15 spring practices/8 months in the weight program.

And yes....why in the hell didn't we get a JUCO DT?? Inexcusable. The coaches put all their eggs in one basket (like last year's DT) and lost.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016

our run defense vs UT, LSU, FSU, MICH, UGA, TAMU, VANDY THIS YEAR:
1005481_o.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.