Early Enrollees:

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
That was absolutely painful to watch. He got destroyed. And yet, Nord is still the TE coach....and ST's coach.....and terrible recruiter.

I will say in Goolsby's defense that on at least two separate occasions he was left to block their defensive end one on one. Not sure if he was supposed to have help from an O-lineman but he was on an island.

He may not be an enthusiastic blocker but most tight ends will lose that battle, especially those who are primarily pass catchers.....and I would put both Goolsby and Lewis in that category. Don't think the Gators currently have a "run-blocking" tight end on the roster.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I will say in Goolsby's defense that on at least two separate occasions he was left to block their defensive end one on one. Not sure if he was supposed to have help from an O-lineman but he was on an island.

He may not be an enthusiastic blocker but most tight ends will lose that battle, especially those who are primarily pass catchers.....and I would put both Goolsby and Lewis in that category. Don't think the Gators currently have a "run-blocking" tight end on the roster.

Agree, but he got DESTROYED. It was literally about as much resistance as a turnstile.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

That's a good point 65, I won't fault goolsby completely for his pass blocking b/c hes not that type of body/player. He's a pass catcher. There's a former gator TE who currently plays for the redskins and is a top 5 TE in the league who cant block much at all... but the skins understand this and don't call plays requiring him to have to, at least not without help. I dont fault this kid for being too small to block a 280lb bull, I fault the staff for putting him in the position where he's forced to try.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's a good point 65, I won't fault goolsby completely for his pass blocking b/c hes not that type of body/player. He's a pass catcher. There's a former gator TE who currently plays for the redskins and is a top 5 TE in the league who cant block much at all... but the skins understand this and don't call plays requiring him to have to, at least not without help. I dont fault this kid for being too small to block a 280lb bull, I fault the staff for putting him in the position where he's forced to try.
Was never a fan of Reed's antics (jumping in the air for everything, even when running, doh) and didn't think he'd make it in the pros because of his inexperience at TE and inability to block. I'm wrong a lot so maybe Gool's has a shot at the next level, but he's still gotta get more physical at the line.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Was never a fan of Reed's antics (jumping in the air for everything, even when running, doh) and didn't think he'd make it in the pros because of his inexperience at TE and inability to block. I'm wrong a lot so maybe Gool's has a shot at the next level, but he's still gotta get more physical at the line.
But that's my point bart, Reed was not much better and isnt now either, but hes absolute beast for the skins and a matchup nightmare for whoever they play. Not all TEs can block, its just the way things are. Smart staff's overcome this and play to their strengths if they are great pass catchers despite their blocking ability.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There's a Culpepper kid in the 2018 class that would probably be a nice get at TE

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
It's over Jay

Zach saying bamuh called Leatherwood about 40 times Monday to make sure he stuck. If this was a women's sport, little nicky could be charged with harassment, stalking and assault.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Zach saying bamuh called Leatherwood about 40 times Monday to make sure he stuck. If this was a women's sport, little nicky could be charged with harassment, stalking and assault.
I wish I could catch Sabans cocky little a$$ off without his security detail one night cause I would stick that bytch will several jabs right before I dropped all 6'2 240 lbs behind a right hook. However i would probably catch a hate crime since I just stopped a midgets a$$ but I got the bail money :lol:

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member

You certainly have a point there. Was Sharpe the tackle on his side. That would explain the lack of support. :)

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Goolsby and Lewis both have slight builds for blocking. But re-watching the Outback, I noticed one of Goolsby whiffs was as much Jawaan Taylor's fault as it was Gools. Taylor opted to assist the right guard and ultimately blocked no one. Gools was left to block two players and chose the outside rusher too late. Poor communication?

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I saw a couple of those where Taylor was on that side. It looks as if our OL was zone blocking in pass protection. That is most of the time its head up , inside gap to out and if your man is head up (lined up on), gap, or outside eye. The one I recall was that Taylor did not have a man head up, check gap inside and had no one outside eye. So he did what is normal. What I did see was a RB that could have chipped as well. But from the snap Gools was whipped and barely even touched the DE. Part of that is coaching and part of that is talent. If Gools is going to have a hard time pass blocking, widen your splits out to get that DE out farther and be chewing that RB's azz when he lets a guy blow by after you've been whipped.

If the DE does line up outside then stunts inside the OT has to really be quick and watch for that. But if he's committed gap side its all on the TE and the RB to pick that up.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So Goolsby never successfully blocks anyone? So he's not teachable? Just asking.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Goolsby and Lewis both have slight builds for blocking. But re-watching the Outback, I noticed one of Goolsby whiffs was as much Jawaan Taylor's fault as it was Gools. Taylor opted to assist the right guard and ultimately blocked no one. Gools was left to block two players and chose the outside rusher too late. Poor communication?

That and him and Scarlett just seem blind when it comes to blocking many times and have really slow reaction times when picking their responsibility up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.