Early Heisman Trophy Odds

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
So any RB (good or schitty) at Bama will be on the list now?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
2013:

Jeff Driskel (QB Florida) 30/1

http://www.neontommy.com/news/2011/05/top-5-under-radar-heisman-hopefuls

2. QB John Brantley, Florida

Let’s face it: Brantley just didn’t fit in Urban Meyer’s spread-option offense. It didn’t utilize his strengths (passing accuracy) and spotlighted his weaknesses (mobility). At times last year, Brantley was one of three quarterbacks on the field at the same. Chaos ensued, and Brantley had a season to forget.

With Meyer resigning came good news for Brantley. Charlie Weis, former Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator and Notre Dame head coach was hired to lead a NFL-style offense in Gainesville, an offense that best fits Brantley’s style of play.

First, Brantley has to win a heated quarterback battle over Trey Burton, Jordan Reed and freshman Jeff Driskel. If Brantley is able to do so, look for him not only grow by leaps and bounds from his miserable 2010 season, but into the Heisman Trophy spotlight.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those were the days when our starting QBs were listed in the pre-season Heisman talk. :D

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
2013:

Let’s face it: Brantley just didn’t fit in Urban Meyer’s spread-option offense. It didn’t utilize his strengths (passing accuracy) and spotlighted his weaknesses (mobility). At times last year, Brantley was one of three quarterbacks on the field at the same. Chaos ensued, and Brantley had a season to forget.

With Meyer resigning came good news for Brantley. Charlie Weis, former Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator and Notre Dame head coach was hired to lead a NFL-style offense in Gainesville, an offense that best fits Brantley’s style of play.

First, Brantley has to win a heated quarterback battle over Trey Burton, Jordan Reed and freshman Jeff Driskel. If Brantley is able to do so, look for him not only grow by leaps and bounds from his miserable 2010 season, but into the Heisman Trophy spotlight.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those were the days when our starting QBs were listed in the pre-season Heisman talk. :D
Smoking mirrors.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
2013:

If I remember correctly Brantley was having an ok season before he got hurt against Bama. Nowhere near a heisman candidate though.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Sad that we don't even have a single player that doesn't even have 100 to1 odds for this award.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If I remember correctly Brantley was having an ok season before he got hurt against Bama. Nowhere near a heisman candidate though.

His best half of football was against Alabama, if I remember correctly. Then they got his leg.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Meanwhile...our upcoming opponents this season LSU/FSU has 2 apiece...UGA has 1...and A&M has 1. Then if we somehow end up in Atlanta...Bama has 3. Smh...glad to see we're finally closing the talent gap with the "big boys" :rolleyes3:
UGA's is purely based on perception of top side potential. They certainly can't think he has any real chance based on last years numbers.

These watch lists and early odds are what they are...I don't put a ton of value in them.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
UGA's is purely based on perception of top side potential. They certainly can't think he has any real chance based on last years numbers.

These watch lists and early odds are what they are...I don't put a ton of value in them.
Me either...but it's still good for the program (in several different ways) to have players on these preseason list.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Meanwhile...our upcoming opponents this season LSU/FSU has 2 apiece...UGA has 1...and A&M has 1. Then if we somehow end up in Atlanta...Bama has 3. Smh...glad to see we're finally closing the talent gap with the "big boys" :rolleyes3:

Georgia has 2, Chubb and Eason.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:scratchchin: the writer must of been mistaken...right? I remember "some folks" on here saying he wasn't worth a $hit :scratchhead: ;)

No one has said he wasn't worth a $hit, most have said. We don't know what he would become, while he was the most talented quarterback talent since Tebow/Newton were here. Talent gets you so far at quarterback, the mental aspect we don't know. Just no data for there to be a real judgement. He had 3 quarters of good football against SEC competition, and everything else against SEC competition was "ok". The question isn't whether or not he had the talent (kid has the natural gifts) it's if he would take that next step. College football is littered with guys who had the talent to be special and they didn't make the next step. I hope he shows it at West Virginia, the offense is more set up for his skill set. Fits him much better than Nusschamp's offense.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
No one has said he wasn't worth a $hit, most have said. We don't know what he would become, while he was the most talented quarterback talent since Tebow/Newton were here. Talent gets you so far at quarterback, the mental aspect we don't know. Just no data for there to be a real judgement. He had 3 quarters of good football against SEC competition, and everything else against SEC competition was "ok". The question isn't whether or not he had the talent (kid has the natural gifts) it's if he would take that next step. College football is littered with guys who had the talent to be special and they didn't make the next step. I hope he shows it at West Virginia, the offense is more set up for his skill set. Fits him much better than Nusschamp's offense.
From what I've seen & heard is he's gotten his head right and he has been showing out. I expect big things from him in the near future IF stays healthy...BIG THINGS!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
From what I've seen & heard is he's gotten his head right and he has been showing out. I expect big things from him in the near future IF stays healthy...BIG THINGS!

He might now... becoming a dad changes your mindset completely. The question isn't does he now, but did he then. Also if Chad is going to let him live his life, or is he going to continue to intervene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.