Eating at the gas station

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I grew up eating stuff like potted meat and vienna sausages. As I got older, I was a sucker for eating that stuff that they sell at the gas station thats over by the hot dog counter. You know, pickled eggs, pickled pigs feet, and the hot sausages. I guess cause it went good with a cold beer. Some of it's probably been hanging around for quite a while, but I think all the vinegar kills the bugs. My favorite used to be the smoked mullet you used to get slathered in mustard. Used to always buy some at Screwey Louies on Atlantic Blvd on the way to the jetties. Louies is closed now and I don't see the smoked mullet anymore, maybe cause the dotheads that run those places now don't know about it. Times have changed.

6053787695_0f009fbf81_b.jpg

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
We had the same childhood. But I passed on the vienna sausage but killed the sardines and smoked oysters.......When ever we traveled to the grandparents on Friday to Lakeland from Alachua county we stopped in Williston for the cold sandwhich, big soda and chips.. In the 60s and well into the 70s many folks in Cedar Key had that little smokehouse in back and you could get a big smoked mullet cheap. And the smoked mullet dip was free on the rest. tables in CK. Now it cost a lot and sucks.
But to the present. There is a Kangaroo in Lake Butler that sells fried chicken, gizzards and livers and the food is excellent. Gas station food you can enjoy
btw that picture looks good enough to eat The last good one I had bought at Rosewood about 25 years ago. Put on the dash over the steering wheel and ate it all the way to Otter Creek

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Later in life, I was a developer located in Atlanta. My business partner and I had a number of projects scattered across SC. We would leave town on a Monday or Tuesday and drive to make visits to the properties and would return home on a Friday. During those trips we would try out the many great barbecue joints around the state or if in the Augusta area, we would always stop for the fried chicken and nanner pudding at Wifesavers. In between those visits, we found a number of oldtime country gas stations in some of the out of the way little towns that always had great hotdogs and cold beer. Did you know hot dogs and bologna are the same meat?

Dec 10, 2014
stephenPE;n199740 said:
We had the same childhood. But I passed on the vienna sausage but killed the sardines and smoked oysters.......When ever we traveled to the grandparents on Friday to Lakeland from Alachua county we stopped in Williston for the cold sandwhich, big soda and chips.. In the 60s and well into the 70s many folks in Cedar Key had that little smokehouse in back and you could get a big smoked mullet cheap. And the smoked mullet dip was free on the rest. tables in CK. Now it cost a lot and sucks.
But to the present. There is a Kangaroo in Lake Butler that sells fried chicken, gizzards and livers and the food is excellent. Gas station food you can enjoy
btw that picture looks good enough to eat The last good one I had bought at Rosewood about 25 years ago. Put on the dash over the steering wheel and ate it all the way to Otter Creek

Is the Kangaroo on 121? I drive that semi-frequently. If you're recommending it, I might stop for lunch.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
Love the boiled peanuts and the fried chicken or livers and smoked anything from the gas stations.

That pic of the mullet looks amazing!

I hate the sandwiches wrapped in hard plastic and will absolutely stay away from sushi there.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
PatDooleySucks;n200311 said:
Is the Kangaroo on 121? I drive that semi-frequently. If you're recommending it, I might stop for lunch.
The one at the redlight yes. Great fried chicken gizzards and livers. No where to sit except at a picnic table outside.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Been there. I keep potted meat and saltines in my fishing tackle bag in case I'm gone longer than the lunch I packed can carry me. As far as eating from a gas station, there's this place on the way the boat ramp at Wacassassa where I buy my live shrimp. The guy runs the register and the bait while his wife has a little kitchen where she makes breakfast biscuits. Her linked sausage, egg and cheese biscuit makes that morning a solid. Eating one of those glorious things while firing up the motor and catching that smell of two stroke exhaust on the water........mmmmmmm, damn it.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
jabber, that sounds like the place in otter creek, we got the same thing there years ago

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
stephenPE;n199740 said:

Yep those gizzards are very good!

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jabberdave;n200694 said:
Been there. I keep potted meat and saltines in my fishing tackle bag in case I'm gone longer than the lunch I packed can carry me. As far as eating from a gas station, there's this place on the way the boat ramp at Wacassassa where I buy my live shrimp. The guy runs the register and the bait while his wife has a little kitchen where she makes breakfast biscuits. Her linked sausage, egg and cheese biscuit makes that morning a solid. Eating one of those glorious things while firing up the motor and catching that smell of two stroke exhaust on the water........mmmmmmm, damn it.

Attachments

• conv_2873.gif
    conv_2873.gif
    912.8 KB · Views: 57

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My grandma and grandpa used to run a fish camp on the Dead Lakes in Wewa in the '50's. Sardines and saltines were a staple for lunch on the water.

Gatorwitt

Founding Member
Hugh Jassole
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n201816 said:
My grandma and grandpa used to run a fish camp on the Dead Lakes in Wewa in the '50's. Sardines and saltines were a staple for lunch on the water.

Gulf County Baby!!
Port St. Joe had the best little sub shop i've ever been to. Fat cat! Love that small town. Best inshore fishing in the panhandle.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
Any of you remember a white house, that was also a gas station and bait shop, that sat on the corner of SR-206 and US-1 in St. Augustine?

It is actually still there, painted yellow and blue I think, but isn't a gas station or even open that I know of.

Well back in the 70's and 80's it served the best sandwiches you could find in all of St. Auggie and had the best Cuban I've ever had.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n200734 said:
jabber, that sounds like the place in otter creek, we got the same thing there years ago

State Road 24. Right around the corner from the boat ramp. I use to stop in there religiously. The old guy that ran the joint was a Vet and he'd head to Gainesville to the VA where my dad was the Director of Veteran's Affairs. Pops made sure he got his benefits and the guy would cut us some slack on shrimp occasionally.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Jand3k;n202252 said:
Any of you remember a white house, that was also a gas station and bait shop, that sat on the corner of SR-206 and US-1 in St. Augustine?

It is actually still there, painted yellow and blue I think, but isn't a gas station or even open that I know of.

Well back in the 70's and 80's it served the best sandwiches you could find in all of St. Auggie and had the best Cuban I've ever had.

Wait....isn't it a BBQ carry-out place now? If it's where I'm thinking, it may be a walk-up BBQ place that is usually very busy during the lunch hour.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
The BBQ joint you mention (very good BTW) is on the OTHER side (North) of SR-206. The place I'm talking about is on the South East side of SR-206 and US-1.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've heard eating at the Y is much more fun.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Jand3k;n202394 said:
The BBQ joint you mention (very good BTW) is on the OTHER side (North) of SR-206. The place I'm talking about is on the South East side of SR-206 and US-1.

Gotcha! I'll have to pay closer attention next time.

I'm going to try that BBQ joint one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb