EDSBS: Blatant Homerism- Kentucky

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
We are top 3-4 in the SEC at RB, WR, DB. We are top 5 with DL. We are bottom 6 at LB and QB. Not sure I have seen a worse OL in the SEC

That last sentence tells you why we lost Sat. I tell my players we go as our OL goes. Same as any team. OL, DL, QB, LBs. May can change the LB and QB order, but OL and DL in that order.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We are top 3-4 in the SEC at RB, WR, DB. We are top 5 with DL. We are bottom 6 at LB and QB. Not sure I have seen a worse OL in the SEC

That last sentence tells you why we lost Sat. I tell my players we go as our OL goes. Same as any team. OL, DL, QB, LBs. May can change the LB and QB order, but OL and DL in that order.

I think the defense was trying to join them. D line was terrible at getting off the blocks when they ran the ball. Safeties are a big issue in addition to LB. What do we have after the injury - just one real good corner now.

I don't think we are top 4 in anything on offense or defense now.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I haven't studied the film yet. I have my own games to get ready for. Grantham may have a two gap philosophy that would have the DL stay engaged with the OL to keep the OL off the LBs to allow the LBs to scrape and read. That may give the impression the DL isn't getting off blocks. I don't run the style of D and instead attack gaps. Both styles have advantages and disadvantages. Muschamp had a gap attacking style and it usually worked well except when you have a mobile QB. Johnny Manziel tore us a new ass when we played them until we stopped rushing so hard and kept him in the pocket. Shooting gaps creates holes and a squirelly qb can exploit that.

Out LBs are weak. Weak LBs make DLs look bad. Weak OLs make Rbs, QBs, and WRs look bad.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't studied the film yet. I have my own games to get ready for. Grantham may have a two gap philosophy that would have the DL stay engaged with the OL to keep the OL off the LBs to allow the LBs to scrape and read. That may give the impression the DL isn't getting off blocks. I don't run the style of D and instead attack gaps. Both styles have advantages and disadvantages. Muschamp had a gap attacking style and it usually worked well except when you have a mobile QB. Johnny Manziel tore us a new ass when we played them until we stopped rushing so hard and kept him in the pocket. Shooting gaps creates holes and a squirelly qb can exploit that.

Out LBs are weak. Weak LBs make DLs look bad. Weak OLs make Rbs, QBs, and WRs look bad.
It was bad as they were just taking their O linemen on many plays and easily creating the lanes. The D linemen were struggling even when the RB was right by them where if they could shed their guy they could have helped tackle them or at least slowed them down some.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018

I welcome you to elaborate on D philosophy all you would like. Everybody else talks offense except Traz. Who I don’t understand as well.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Okay, Donkey does defense too. Bush just does Defense for Dummies.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015

Tell me what gave "the impression" that our D-line was 5 yards back from the line of scrimmage when Snell got to it? Even when there was no hole to run through and he didn't run over any of our snowflakes, he had gained five yards by the he reached the line. Seriously, you defensive experts tell me, is this caused by the 3-4 defense and blockers doubling up on our D-line?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Seriously, you defensive experts tell me, is this caused by the 3-4 defense and blockers doubling up on our D-line?
We aren't running a 3-4. We are running a 4-2-5 with two tiny ends on the field at a time.

I guess running a dime would be worse, but it a 4-2-5 is a terrible run defense.

It shows, huh?

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
We aren't running a 3-4. We are running a 4-2-5 with two tiny ends on the field at a time.

I guess running a dime would be worse, but it a 4-2-5 is a terrible run defense.

It shows, huh?

See, there you go with the technical stuff again...

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nobody’s going anywhere. Fuchs isn’t firing his southern dandy squeaky clean athletic director over a trashed football program only winning three games. Fuchs will be happy with 9 wins a year as long as the seats are full and the players aren’t getting arrested. Lombardi and Machen are long gone. Fuchs wants an Ivy League university, not SEC.
Ding ding ding.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I guess I'll be the Sunshine Pumper. I say Mullen turns this around by mid-Oct.

Y'all can jump and jump hard but I'm still hopeful.
By turn around I assume you mean win 5 more games.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Tell me what gave "the impression" that our D-line was 5 yards back from the line of scrimmage when Snell got to it? Even when there was no hole to run through and he didn't run over any of our snowflakes, he had gained five yards by the he reached the line. Seriously, you defensive experts tell me, is this caused by the 3-4 defense and blockers doubling up on our D-line?

Only watched the 4th quarter. DL didn't seem to do too bad then. Our LBs seem small, weak, and slow for the SEC.

AS FAR AS LINE UP AND PERSONNEL, not a lot of difference between a 3-4 versus a 4-3. A 3-4 typically has a big NT and large DEs and shade toward the strength of the formation. A LB will contain backside. Not much different than a 4 -3 except it leaves the guards unco ered, which is why I don't like it.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I agree with you. I think he’ll get us to where we will win 5 more.

Now it ain't going to be pretty but I saw this last year with LSU. They SUCKED until they came into the Swamp and I think they are a different team today...and not just the QB. It's too simplistic to say it's all the QB.

I also see our Lines both OL & DL progressing over time. And unlike Chump who would be losing his mind and blaming everybody or MacShark who didn’t have a clue and would awe shucks it and go eat a PBJ.

These coaches are not panicking. Nor are they saying it’s all rainbows and lollypops.... Rome was not built in a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.